NSLC- bogus?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: NSLC- bogus?
By Jens (Jens) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

This whole National Student Leadership Conference is it worth it, highly regarded by colleges, a good experience or crap?

By Njgrl (Njgrl) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 06:56 pm: Edit

it was an amazing experience for me. The people I met were really interesting and intelligent people. My program was Law n Advocacy and it was a lot of fun too. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I don't know how much recognization it receives, but I had a ton of fun w/ it

By Jens (Jens) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 07:10 pm: Edit

so anyone can do it if they pay?

By Kkgirl06 (Kkgirl06) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 11:45 am: Edit

No, not just anyone can do it if you pay...you must have a 3.0 haha. So yeah, pretty much anybody can do it, but it was a great experience nonetheless. I went to NYLF Med and its basically the same type of program.

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 12:09 am: Edit

I went to the International Diplomacy thing two years ago. I liked it a lot. There were a good mix of people: some complete wackos and some really cool people.

It's not bogus; we did a lot of interesting things, like meet with congressmen/senators, listen to speakers, have debates, etc.

However, the one thing I didn't like was that there was too much focus on "leadership." There was some corny stuff like leadership games and crap. I was hoping it would have been more substantive.

I also went to Presidential Classroom this last summer. It was sorta the same thing, except more subtance and less corniness.

By Caramelapple (Caramelapple) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 03:53 pm: Edit

i went to international diplomacy and absolutely loved it. i don't remember corny leadership stuff. maybe they changed it because i went last year. it was strictly about diplomacy and we spent most of our time doing UN simulations or listening to speakers from places like the state department or cia.

if you have the $$ go for it. don't do if for a college app though. it doesn't look that impressive because it's not very selected. but if you're really interested in one of the topics, go ahead.

By Jens (Jens) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 05:57 pm: Edit

Thanks. I guess I won't, Im not too interested in politically related stuff.

By Hegemonhenenen (Hegemonhenenen) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

It's a double edged sword.
I attended NSLC Law & Ad. + it was good but it cost quite a bit:$$

There are some college credit opportunities at NSLC if you decide to attend (= extra work) that colleges do like...

There's the mastering leadership session if you aren't interested in politics...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page