Chances at Business Schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Chances at Business Schools
By Kant1 (Kant1) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 03:07 am: Edit

I graduated from the College of William & Mary in 1996 majoring in Finance and Economics. I have a BBA and have been working at Morgan Stanley Dean Witter since then. I was wondering what you guys thought my chances were of getting into the top business schools (Harvard, Wharton, etc.). My undergraduate GPA is a 3.45 and I have taken the practice GMAT's with Kaplan and Princeton Review and received on average a 710 (range of 680 - 740).

I know most of the questions on this board are about undergraduate, but any advice would be helpful. The applications for business school is VERY expensive (around $200 each) and I don't want to waste that money if I won't get in.

Thanks.

By Kant1 (Kant1) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 04:36 am: Edit

Any comments would be appreciated.

By Xyz155 (Xyz155) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 12:47 pm: Edit

If you can get some good teacher recs then I would definatly think that you have a good shot. Your GPA is good, you went to a competitive school, and your GMAT is very good. However, both of those schools are very selective and even tho you are very qualified by no means are you easily in. Best of luck to you.

By Vulcano (Vulcano) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 02:42 pm: Edit

Is this the same famous Kant from the PR?

By Shahab (Shahab) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 05:13 pm: Edit

Ok im going to be blunt here.. average gpa for Harvard Business School is around 3.7-3.8 if i recall corrrectly, your GMAT is good (from what I recall a good GMAT wont get you in, but a bad GMAT will get you out) however your trump card is that you worked for Morgan Stanley/Dean Witter. You must play this up to your absolute advantage. Befriend a boss or something and have him write an outstanding letter of reccomendation (a "Best i ever had" type)... this is absolutely essential because business schools want to know what you have been up to recently... school must have been at least 2 or 3 years ago. Keep in mind that a lot of people coming to harvard business are CEO's of small/midsized companies/workers for top firms like Goldman Sachs/McKinsey etc... so it goes without saying that the competition is extremely fierce.

Good Luck!

By Kant1 (Kant1) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 02:47 am: Edit

Average GPA is 3.6 but average GMAT is 705 according to USNEWS rankings. I know my achilles heel is the GPA, I have excellent recommendations both from my supervisor (Wharton MBA) and his supervisor (Harvard MBA). I'm assuming the Haravrd Alum rec. will help alot. Also, I have a rec. from a former professor at Harvard Business. I have two more but these are the significant ones. I'm thinking if I can get a 710 or higher GMAT, i'll be competitive, but I know acceptance is by no means guaranteed.

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it. :)

Shahab: irooni hasti? manam irooniam. mersi baraye komaket.

Vulcano: I believe you have the wrong Kant. The name Kant is referring to the philosopher Immanuel Kant. Also I don't know what you mean when you say PR.

By Wdlynn (Wdlynn) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:44 pm: Edit

Not trying to change the topic kant, but I've applied to W&M and I'm very curious about the undergrad business program.

W&M is currently my #1, and if I go to W&M I hope to take the business route (op. and info. technologies?). I was wondering if you could provide some insight into the W&M undergrad business school and how difficult it is to be accepted as a junior. What are the different departments like (finance, management, operational and information technologies, ect.) and which do you suggest I choose, were I to be accepted and attend?

Thanks, sorry for being off topic.

By Kant1 (Kant1) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 02:48 pm: Edit

Wdlynn,

I transferred to William & Mary in my sophomore year from UVA. I can't give you much insigt about going to W&M straight out of high school, but I'll try my best to answer your quesitons.

The undergraduate business program at W&M was very good when I was there and I've heard it has improved exponentially since. Being accepted into the program isn't as difficult as I thought it would be. However, once you're in the program, they really rape you. You need a minimum GPA and the completion of a few courses in order to be accepted into the business program. Most people enter in the fall of their junior year, however, there are many that enter in the spring of their sophomore year. It's your decision when to enter as long as you have the minimum requirements you're good to go.

The different departments right now are: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, and Operations Technology. Their is no Management major, however, you can minor in it if you want. There really is no reason to major (or minor) in management though. Most of what will be taught can be learned by reading a book or two at Borders or Barnes & Noble. My suggestion is to choose which ever one you enjoy and are good at. I know that's a very generic response (do whatever your heart desires, whatever makes you happy, do what you're good at, etc.) but I can't tell you what I think you should major in. I majored in Finance because I can do the calculations quickly in my head and I just get it. There are people who study for hours, but still can't understand Finance. So whichever one you enjoy, is the one you should major in.

The good thing about the W&M program is the Core. The first semester is an introduction to all four majors. I can tell you right now, it was the hardest semester I ever went through, and it is because of that semester that my GPA is low. You hate it when you're in it, but after you finish it, you will be thankful that you went through it.

The great thing about W&M is their focus on knowledge. They want you to learn EVERYTHING. It is a bit overwhelming at times. I remember almost going crazy when I had 3 mid-terms back-to-back in one day. However, this is why W&M is great. They push you to your limit, push you past your limit, and give you a state of mind that makes you feel you can accvomplish anything. It is especially helpful in the business world. I never feel overwhelmed at work. There is no way I can have as much work today as I did when I was at W&M. It really prepares you for the real world.

I know I went off on a tangent, but i hope I answered your question. If not, just ask again. :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page