IB or AP?????????

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: IB or AP?????????
By Sungwoojj15 (Sungwoojj15) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

i'm going to take ib but i heard ib is less better than AP what should i do?

By Everet (Everet) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 11:27 pm: Edit

IB well better prepare you for college. But colleges recognize AP more and give them college credits. But I'm in IB and it changed my life. I reccommmend that you take IB. Your friends will will always be with you because it's a close nit group. trust me you'll love it

By Televelis (Televelis) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 01:57 am: Edit

Do both.

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 02:39 am: Edit

"...I heard it is less better."

Whichever u take, make sure u get a good English class in the mix. (jk )

By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 06:39 am: Edit

Do both. I'm doing both.

IB is a great program - but it only allows you to take a maximum of 4 HL exams, which really limits how much you can challenge yourself. I suggest you take the IB program, but take additional AP courses as well, like I am. ^_^

By Largegreenturt (Largegreenturt) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

Binarystar--

Are you insane? There is no possible way you could take both full IB and more AP classes. The IB is a full, rigorous program with research papers of 15 pages (EE), TOK, all your course work etc. Getting the full IB is way more presigious than throwing together APs. The IB has unity, and all classes complement each other. APs are independant entities, and are only preparing you for the eventual exam. In IB, you have course work (group 4, world lits, orals, extended essay, math projects-in HL, methods and studies, Internal assessments, TOK paper and more) and they are all graded by an outside source. The IB is phenominal, and it too has changed my view of the academic world. I'll be at Northwestern next year, so it has obviously served me very well. Just finishing up my extended essay now! Peace

By Sungwoojj15 (Sungwoojj15) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 09:51 pm: Edit

i'm international student from korea, and i couldn't take 2nd language so i'm going to get individual certificat, 5 ibs maybe. are they going to see me same as other american student? because i have excuses? -_--;;;

By Succor101 (Succor101) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 09:52 pm: Edit

truth: IB>AP by far

By Amylase (Amylase) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 01:38 am: Edit

I have a strong aversion to IB program.

Unlike College Board which is committed to giving every one equal access and equal opportunity, IB program only allow students in IB schools to participate.

Less prestigious and poor schools like mine can not participate in that IB program.

AP program is totally different in this respect. They give equal opportunity to everyone who wants to excel. Students from non-AP schools and Homeschooled students can all participate in AP program.

Even if IB weighs than AP, I and thousands of other disadvantaged kids simply can not participate in it.

I hope college look at IB and AP equally. IB is simply unfair for everyone. I will be very disappointed if colleges "recognize IB over AP".

By Largegreenturt (Largegreenturt) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 04:23 am: Edit

Amylase,

I think it is important for you to recognize a few things.

First of all, for the most part each individual AP class/test is equivalent to each IB class/test in terms of credit, prestige and rigor. That is not an issue.

Secondly, of course only schools that apply for the IB can teach it, or else there would be no international moderation and it would lose its reputation if anyone could teach it willy-nilly. I wish to refute your statement saying bad schools don't do the IB. For many large public schools, they offer the IB as their elite currculum to its students. It is a defined way for high schools to go about bettering themselves: If they strive and achieve IB accreditation, then they gain prestige and subsequently the reputation and quality of their school goes up. It is a very palatable way for a school to better themselves in a focussed and established manner--strive for and adopt the IB.

Thirdyly, I wish the address the difference between taking individual IB classes (certificates) and taking the full IB program. Any student can take one or two or up to six IB classes without obtaining the full IB diploma, which is becoming and more and more pretigious item to receive. Each of these classes act like an AP class, and you can take them individually. Conversely, if you take the full IB, this indicates a very different student to colleges. In order to obtain your full IB you must write a 4000 research paper, a 1500 word philosophy paper, complete 150 hours of specified extra-curricular activities (CAS) and maintain a certain level of achievement throughout all your classes (nothing below a 3 on higher level course, no failing course, no Fs on TOK or Extended Essay). Getting your IB means you have done it ALL, and well. This is a difficult task, and colleges recognize it for the brilliant students who are produced by this wonderful program. Don't bash it because it is unavailable at your and other's school. Try to convince your school to adopt the program (it is not difficult by any means to gain IB accreditation).

Good luck with college and your studies.

P.S. It's late, there may be some typos...oh well.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page