Princeton and Yale: Would you say I am off to a good start?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Princeton and Yale: Would you say I am off to a good start?
By Ilabcurious1423 (Ilabcurious1423) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 11:00 pm: Edit

I am VERY interrested in attending Princeton or Yale. What are my chances if I am in all advanced classes, I go to a hard college prep school, and I only average about an A- or B+? I am still in the beginning of highschool but all of this is very important to me. I know that college kind of sets the foundation for the rest of my life, so what should I make sure to do? Do advanced classes really help? Let me know what you all think!

By Ilabcurious1423 (Ilabcurious1423) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 11:20 pm: Edit

bump

By Penguin (Penguin) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 11:35 pm: Edit

Advanced classes are essential. A ~3.5 GPA at a tough school in tough classes is a credible basis for an application to top schools. Beyond your transcript, devote yourself to ECs you're passionate about, read a lot, and have thoughtful conversations with interesting people.

Casually start learning about a broad variety of colleges and determining what sort of places might fit you. Go to whatever information sessions/college presentations your school hosts. I began that process as a freshman, and it's helped immensely. DON'T decide right now that you want only to go to Princeton or Yale; you'd set yourself up for disappointment, because those schools are reaches for everybody, and you'd overlook a lot of fantastic options.

Write (or at least draft) as much of your application material as possible the summer between junior and senior year. The alternative is hellish.

Those are the points that stand out from my personal experience. You go to a prep school, so your counselor will be able to help you through all the details. Be sure to stay in close, honest communication with him/her.

By Ilabcurious1423 (Ilabcurious1423) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 12:19 am: Edit

Thankyou very much. Yes, I have already started to do ECs. I play violin and piano, I am in the French club, I play tennis, I am helping out with set design...but I feel as if those are small things. Many people at my school get good grades, so it is hard to place high. Will this count against me? Luckily, I live in a small community where many of the students just like to go to the schools that their parents went to. Therefor, there are not many people from my school that don't even bother to apply to these schools. (Less to compete with.)

I took the SATs in 8th grade (for some state 5 percentile thing) and I got around an 1100 (hopefully that will be better by senior year). I was offered to take some advanced classes at Northwestern University over the summer....do you suggest I do this?

Does anyone know if the colleges know that it may be harder to earn an A in one school vs. another?

By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 06:40 am: Edit

YES, I highly suggest you take some advanced classes at Northwestern University.

Your SATs at 8th grade were pretty good. I'm sure by senior year, you can raise it to around a 1500. Just so you know, the national average is around 1050.

Just focus on dedicating yourself to several ECs, keep your grades up, do well on your SATs, ACT and your AP/IB exams, and write a good essay, and you'll get there.

You should also try to hold some leadership position, to compete in some sort of national tournament (whether it be tennis, piano, math, science, etc), and take the toughest courses you can to maximize your chances.

By Ilabcurious1423 (Ilabcurious1423) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 07:14 pm: Edit

Thakyou, I will keep that in mind! If anyone else has anything to add...feel free:--)

Are A-/B+'s in advanced courses better than A/A+'s in regular courses?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page