International here!!! just got IB results! please evaluate m

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: International here!!! just got IB results! please evaluate m
By Vdevluk (Vdevluk) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 09:31 am: Edit

hey people,

just got my ib scores: 39 (was predicted 41)

HL: physics 5
math -7
chemistry - 7
economics - 7
SL: english - 5
french - 5
TOK: A
extended essay: A

SAT: 1380 (700M, 680V)
SAT II: math 2c - 780
physics - 790 (and 5 in ib physics ha)
writng - 650 (international!)

schools applying to:

U penn (1st choice),
cornell
yale
berkeley
u mich ann-arbor
washington in st.louis
emory
purdue
and maybe NYU

thanks for your time.

By Largegreenturt (Largegreenturt) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Good job on your IB. Did you do it all in one year? How did you take your tests so early? I don't take my tests until May...so my actual IB scores are never told to colleges, only my predicted scores given by my teachers. You'll get into most of those place, penn and yale being the hardest (especially penn regular decision). What was your extended essay on? I'm just finished up mine now.

By Wrinklefiber (Wrinklefiber) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 02:03 am: Edit

If he's southern hemisphere, Largegreenturt, I think he takes tests in November.

By Largegreenturt (Largegreenturt) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 03:36 am: Edit

Ahh, you're probably right. Do you come from down under vdevluk?

By Amnestykid (Amnestykid) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 08:16 am: Edit

Hey vdevluk, congrats on your good IB results. My exams are in may, and my mock exams start on monday! My predicted grades went along with my applications. I'm also interested to know what your extended essay was on. I completed mine with finishing touches over the christmas break. P.S. how did you get letter grades on your essay and TOK component? OOoooh and how did C.A.S. go for you?

AK.

By Cooldude (Cooldude) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 08:36 am: Edit

Hi,
could u guys evaluate my chances.
International : Asian (Living in the Gulf)

SAT I: 800 M
760 V

SAT II: 800 (Math IIC, Phy, Chem)
760 (Writing)

Class Rank : 2/70
recived a special award from the ruler of the contry for academic achievements.

EC's :
Good Drummer (many shows and competitions)
Table tennis (Played at the national level)
Debate (won many inter school competitions)
Math's Quiz (Stood first among 40 schools in the Gulf)
Placed in the top 1% in the Math's, Phy & Chem Gulf Olympiads
Internship during summer caterpillar (Construction Company in China (I am not Chinese)
visited the Bagram Air Base in Afganistan

am the Head boy of my school

have a job (7hrs./week)

some community service (1hr/week)

taken all the possible courses,
Calculas, Organic, Mechanics (High level)

Could u guys evaluate my chances at any of these Schools:

will be Applyiong for Fin Aid

Reach:
•MIT
•HARVARD
•PRINCETON
•CALTECH (not need blind for Intl)
•YALE UNIVERSITY
•STANFORD (not need blind for Intl)

Safety / Match
•IIT (Illinois)
•John Hopkins University
•FLORIDA TECH

Also could u all suggest some good safeties

Thanx

By Vdevluk (Vdevluk) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 10:21 am: Edit

allright first up cooldude, get your own post! (and btw good scores!)

largegreenturt, wrinklefiber, amnestykid,

im from kenya, africa. so yup we do give our exams in nov. (and the school year starts in january, we have three terms)

okay, ext. essay and TOK are marked in letter grades. then they ygive you bonus points on the combination you get (like A&A = 3, C&B=1)

i did my extended essay in chemistry: investigating the chemical kinetics of the reaction between potassium iodide and hydrogen peroxide in an acid medium. man it was a lot of work!!

hope yours is going well, good luck with that.

CAS was really good, it was very enjoyable.

if any of you guys have any comments on my chances, please do! btw, i have good essays and excellent recs.

some notable ecs:
designed solar cooker, that can be used in rural kenya, where there aint no power. it won 1st prize in the National science congress organized by the ministry of education and development.

MUN: ambassador, two years, best delegation, best resolution.

theatre: actor, stage designer, co-script writer

good hrs for community service

track team, field hockey, squash team,
intramurals: rugby, soccer.

thanks for your time again.

By Amnestykid (Amnestykid) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 12:47 pm: Edit

Wow vdevluk very cool stuff indeed! it's really awesome to meet someone from Kenya...of all of the countries I've met people from, never Kenya, hehe, good to meet you! If all goes well with my nomination and preparation meetings, I should be visiting Kenya around October 2004 for this international peace convention being held there. I seriously can't wait, I've always dreamed of getting back to my roots and visiting Africa, and especially Kenya!

About the letter grades for TOK and the Extended Essay, I never knew that. Here they gave us this grid where you could end up with certain number marks from 0 to 3 and...wait a minute...ok I just went to get my IB Handbook, and I just now noticed the letter grades. Hmmmm...well that's really interesting, I feel so enlightened now, hehe. I mean I already knew the combinations, but I never knew there were letter grades involved. So they actually inform you of how you scored on the essay and TOK as well? One question, how does the actual diploma look? It's my school's first second year running it, and I'm in the first group to experience the final year of it, so I'm just curious as to how it looks.

Anyway, T.O.K. is one of my favorite subjects, I mean everything about it is so perfect for me. The philosophical approach to many concepts has really given me the drive to pursue philosophy in the future. I also love the way it always gets me to REALLY think about things, and the debates we have are the best. I'm pretty much the only person who is pretty flexible and open-minded in terms of my perception of various topics, and with the rest of the class being complete believers or complete non-believers, I'm pretty much the one who gets most of the others to reconsider the way they approach certain aspects of knowledge. My TOK presentation is on perception, titled: "Perception: Are we in control?", and it's really amazing, I performed it for the staff last year, and everyone left in huge discussions about what I had presented...hehe, I really like getting people to think. Which essay topic did you choose? I'm not sure if your options were the same as mine, probably were though. Mine was the one which looked at the "treachery" of words with a quote by Sartre. Really interesting.

Now for the extended essay, which really was A LOT of work, but completing it gave me this real sense of achievement, especially considering everything I had done. It was a Bio essay, in which I investigated the extent to which an aquatic plant known as duckweed (Lemna minor) is influenced by variations in nutrient rich environments, in terms of growth rate. However, the main aim of the investigation was designing a tertiary water treatment system and a solution to eutrophication problems in the country, which the government is currently having difficulties with, and the environment is seriously suffering. This plant is really amazing, it purifies water, survives in the most salt-concentrated of environments, and I developed a natural alternative to the two problems mentioned earlier, which is also recyclable. The best thing was that I tailored it specifically for Thailand...climate conditions, agriculture considerations, etc. The experiment trials spanned over three months, with daily records being taken, which was a bit annoying at first, but turned out really exciting when all the data came rolling in. I also had to meet with some water treatment plants in the region to discuss possibilities for my system's implementation. Oh well, now I'm tired of duckweed, seriously, I've started having nightmares about drowning in the stuff, hehe.

Well, I'll stop my rambling here. What path did you take in applying to the schools you applied to? Any EA/ED? All RD?

AK :)

By Vdevluk (Vdevluk) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 03:07 pm: Edit

hey, nice to hear that. kenyas an amazing place. great weather, great freedom, great people. i love this place!!

i remember that quote by sartre, but i did mine on the amitav ghosh qoute. nr. 6 i think it was. if you want i can e-mail it to you. i did my oral presentation on: "are human beings the sole agents of their destiny?" it was fun. TOK was good, i loved the class discussions we would have.

yeah i know what you mean about the satisfaction thing. i felt the same way. it really helps if what your doing is actually interesting to you, and from the sound of things your ee was fun for you. so you shud get a good grade.

oh and i havent got my diploma yet, i got my scores of the net. the diploma will be here on tues. or wed. im curious too.

take care

By Largegreenturt (Largegreenturt) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

Hey all,

Being in the northern hemisphere I'm right in the thick of things. Write now I'm doing a bloody world lit paper, AHH. Comparing the use of wealth in A Dolls House and House of Bernarda Alba, fun stuff. My extended essay is History and it's on the construction of the channel tunnel, investigating why it took almost 200 years to finally build it. I'm almost done. I am a little screwed for my TOK essay as my teacher has no idea what he's doing. SHould we talk about the 4 ways of knowing? Etc? Some help would be appreciated. I just took a paper 3 higher level bio test today, i think i prolly got a 5 or 6. I got into Northwestern by the way, so I'm just keeping my studies up to get my IB, it doesn't matter in terms of college.

By Largegreenturt (Largegreenturt) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

does someone wanna email me their TOK paper so i can get a sense of what they should be like? Email is in the profile. A little bit of an international IB support group. I figure they grade it internationally, we may as well help each other across the world! Oh, has anyone heard of people taking their Math test in like, Europe and calling a friend in america and telling them the questions? I hear some people did that and got caught somehow. Just a thought.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

dude, how did you get a 39? 7+7+7+5+5+5=36.

By Amnestykid (Amnestykid) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 10:47 pm: Edit

hey largegreenturt,
yeah I'll send you a copy of one of my past TOK papers, one I did for practice, and when I finish the one I'm definitely going to submit, I'll send you a copy as well. There aren't really any constrictions on what you can and can't write about, but there is certain criteria that you need to meet in order to get the marks you're looking for. Did you ever get the part of the syllabus that outlines how the essays are marked???

I always wondered about the whole 'take your exam now and call a friend in a different time zone' concept. I've never heard of any actual incidents though, but I've always thought it was bound to happen somewhere.

Oh, and Warriorlax, vdevluk also scored an A the extended essay, and an A for the TOK component, which provided an extra 3 points on top of the 36 received from the individual subjects.

Just a thought...do our CAS hours get recorded on our certificates?

By Largegreenturt (Largegreenturt) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 03:59 am: Edit

CAS hours only matter if you want the full IB. As in, you won't get the IB if you don't have a completely CAS journal. Personally, I think its a load of crap to do CAS. Students already know they have to do lots of diverse ECs if they want to get into top universities, and to dictate the spread of activities through CAS is rediculous, let alone making us 'reflect' on your CAS. I've done enough reflecting in TOK. Other than CAS, which I think is a load of crock, I absolutely think the IB is the best thing to do in high school, without a doubt. People who do the IB feel college is a breeze.

By Windupbird (Windupbird) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 08:23 am: Edit

If anyone wants me to have a look at their TOK essay, I'd love to help. I did number 7, if I remembered correctly, anyway, it was the one about filter. I scored an A in TOK & A in EE, 7 in all subjects other than ITGS. 44 in total, and just got a place in Oxford. I'd say CAS made my life enjoyable, otherwise I'd be burried by books.

By Amnestykid (Amnestykid) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 10:02 am: Edit

Yeah I think CAS was great as well! The IB program simply utilizes it to instill a standard in all of the diploma recipients. I know people who would definitely do nothing other than study if it weren't for CAS. For me, it was a simple job of keeping note of the activities I did now and then, and also stirred up interests in opportunities I had never thought to explore. It encouraged me to take up a second instrument which has been an unbelievable experience. The "reflecting" part can get a bit annoying, and the paper-work just adds to the stress that many applicants can already be under. However, the benefits are worth it. The only problem is that only some universities actually understand the true value of an IB Diploma, and what it takes for each person to receive it. By the way, windupbird, congrats on your college admission!

By Belle28 (Belle28) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 12:05 pm: Edit

hey vdevluk,

nice job on your ib tests (a 7 on HL math??? that class is killing me right now!) you definitely sound like you have a very good shot at Penn. Hope to see you on campus next year. Which school did you apply to?

By Vdevluk (Vdevluk) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 01:32 pm: Edit

i applied to the JF program, and the alternative was engineering. i really hope i get in, but the competition is a killer. id settle for eng. at u penn tho.

math was my favorite subject (but that was more becoz the people in my class were awesome, we wud do really fun things in class, and the teacher was also very good, but weird, very weird) so i enjoyed doing it. just practice and youll do fine, it isnt that hard. i was the only seven in my school, so happy bout that.

i take it you got into penn? congrats. hope to see you there too (if i get in)

By Jacknjill (Jacknjill) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 04:51 pm: Edit

Vdevluk, how did you get a 7 on higher maths, and only a 700 on SAT?!? If you have time, take the SATs again man, with a little practice you should be able to get a 770+...I take methods and im probably gonna get a 6, and my maths on SAT is 750+ on every practice sat i take, and i know how difficult IB higher maths is....just a though, cuz im 100% sure you can do it

By Largegreenturt (Largegreenturt) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 09:13 pm: Edit

I'm thinking of taking the AP Calc test because I am in methods and colleges only recognize HL class for credit (which is absolutely rediculous; methods IS as hard as AP calc). Think this is a good idea?

By Windupbird (Windupbird) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 09:27 pm: Edit

Amnestykid, thanks. I know a very good book for HL Maths. It's a black book, very thick, with a white "pi" on the cover.The author is Australian.

By Vdevluk (Vdevluk) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 07:35 am: Edit

jacknjill, thanks for your vote of confidence, i am gona retake SATS in two weeks, i think i can get above 760. well see what happens.

windupbird, wow, oxford! good luck there!

amnestykid, i dont think the hours get noted on the diploma, prob just a statemnt saying the necessary hours for cas were obtained. but you prob can ask your coordinator to note down your hours on secondary school report or somethin.

By Oliver_Gupta (Oliver_Gupta) on Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 03:46 am: Edit

hi there
can u help me to get topic for the in tok presentation. thank you

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page