Im failing ap physics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Im failing ap physics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Boatboat (Boatboat) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

uh im so frusterated....im working my ass off and doing terrible in ap physics if i get a b or b- in ap physics will it ruin my chances at the top colleges. The rest of my grades will be B+ and above.

By Succor101 (Succor101) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:58 pm: Edit

is it the math?
if so, review calc

By Succor101 (Succor101) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:58 pm: Edit

triple post

By Succor101 (Succor101) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

triple again

By Rubster (Rubster) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 11:00 pm: Edit

haha

By Rubster (Rubster) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

do you know the definition of the word "failing"?
your misleading post distracted me from my ap physics homework in which i am also getting a b. what can i say? ••••! ••••! ••••! why the •••• is this so ••••••• hard!!!!???

By Rubster (Rubster) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 11:06 pm: Edit

let's pretend that never happened...perhaps a little too much cursing. but it's actually really hard and i understand your pain boatboat

By Boatboat (Boatboat) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 12:01 am: Edit

hahah i feel ur pain....so people is a b/b- gonna ruin my chances?

By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 12:54 am: Edit

For top colleges? Probably.

By Reeses (Reeses) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 01:11 am: Edit

no it isn't. stop freaking out and keep trying your best. anyone taking ap physics is sure to get into a good school anyway. : )

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 01:18 am: Edit

Had the same problem with AP Physics last year...but, just work hard and try ur best...I did, and got barely an A...but, don't worry, a B ain't gonna do nothin' to those chances. i know plenty of people that got into top colleges with a couple of Bs...sometimes, a couple of Bs make you look more normal...cheers!

By Uncchlocalmayor (Uncchlocalmayor) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 01:54 am: Edit

nah, it won't ruin your chances, but work hard and try to get an A--it might help knowing that stuff for the AP exam, which can get you out of college science classes if the math/science/engineering fields aren't your desire.

By Boatboat (Boatboat) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 02:02 am: Edit

thanks...i have been working as hard as i can but our grades our determined soley from our performance not our effort....it's just really frusterating me and getting me down :(

By Masamune707 (Masamune707) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 05:02 am: Edit

i feel ur pain :[
best of luck...are u a senior or junior or sophomore...?

By 1337 (1337) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 01:30 am: Edit

Working hard of course will help, but what separates the B's from the A's is creativity.

Most "A" students can easily visualize problems, think of different methods of attack and think in a more creative manner. This skill comes with experience. For example, one might know all the formulas involved but not know how to apply them to such a unique and challenging Mech. 3 AP problem or test problem.

It's a skill that is extremeley necessary for engineers to have.

Learn to think like an engineer.

Of course this is easier said than done.

Good luck

By Boatboat (Boatboat) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 06:22 am: Edit

ok heres what my thoughts....im applying to college as a theatre magior...do u think in some way that will make up for my low ap physics grade. What really sux is that the semester fianl is worth 1/3 of our grade...so even though i did ok last quarter and this quarter i dont see how i will do well on the final...i have heard it is amazingly hard....everyone elese in ap physics do u guys have a set curve that you are graded on that is much lower then normal curves....like in our class a 76% and above is an A...and i am still doing bad!

By Nutmag345 (Nutmag345) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 03:53 pm: Edit

Well, just keep plugging away because colleges recognize that A.P Physics C is one of the toughest courses you can take in school (if not THE toughest).

By Nutmag345 (Nutmag345) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 03:56 pm: Edit

And you are lucky to have a class where a freaking 76 % is an A. My teacher does not curve at all, and we do real AP problems on our tests and quizes (from old tests that you can't find on the net of course). The teacher does not seem to care that pretty much everybody has a D.

By Massmom (Massmom) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 04:05 pm: Edit

My son is taking AP Physics, it's graded on a curve. He is using the same textbook as I did in college, although a much newer addition. Teacher is using exams written by the textbook author - he says the course is harder than what they will see on the AP exam, and that it will prepare the kids well for physics in college. I think there was one A last term in a class of 14, all top students. All exams are take home, most given over a weekend. It seems harder (or at least more work) than what I took as an engineering major.

By Beero1000 (Beero1000) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 04:18 pm: Edit

if anybody needs help w/ physics i can probably help

By Sokkerdude4 (Sokkerdude4) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 04:33 pm: Edit

i was failing it too and i had a D so I withdrew from the class...my chances at Cornell are shot now :-( not like they'll care my teacher sucked

By Sokkerdude4 (Sokkerdude4) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 04:35 pm: Edit

Oh and BTW 17 kids have dropped it since the beginning of the year so it isn't like a fluke thing.

By Starzfun82 (Starzfun82) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

I thought my school was the only one with super hard ap physics.... We had a record 10 make it to second semester this year....

By Haithman (Haithman) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

is AP Physics B cake?

By Rubster (Rubster) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 11:34 pm: Edit

it's C without the fun stuff - calculus. You still have torque and some other hard stuff but otherwise it's a joke compared to C

By Nyapplicant (Nyapplicant) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 12:06 am: Edit

um

i got an a first quarter, and i'm riding on a b second. I have no calculus background other than whatever i've learned in my calc ab class (which is useless; we just started integral calculus today!).

By the way, we have only two grades per quarter. This quarter, we have a mechanics final (got a b) and a midterm. both are 50% of our averages!

heavy curves -- my 24 / 45 = B on the last test. the class average was a 19, highest grade 32. Very VERY hard stuff.

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 12:35 am: Edit

I played video games and got an A first semester. Then again, I happened to self-study all of basic physics when I took the physics sat II. I sort of also had calc I-III already where you basically learn the same thing thats in physics C (torque, instantaneous velocity/acceleration, work, etc). Chem is way harder ;;. BTW my teacher mad curves the tests too. I finished last grading period with a 112

By Starzfun82 (Starzfun82) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 03:21 pm: Edit

I loved AP Chem, thought it was quite easy... I have AP Physics B, though our teacher just goes through the whole college textbook. "Just because it's not on the AP test doesnt mean you dont need to now it"... We only offer B at my school because you cant take Calc/AP Calc until senior year, so you take in concurrently w/ ap physics. Though my teacher did attempt to teach us derivatives and integrals the 2nd day of school as "useful info". I dont have to tell you how well that went over, lol ;)

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

harder is a relative term :). I have an A in there from minimal effort also. Then again, A doesn't really mean I am qualified to know much.

By Sid_Mathur (Sid_Mathur) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 07:41 pm: Edit

unfortunately, my school doesn't offer AP Physics B which I would much rather take considering I never took a high school physics course. I find AP Physics C very frustrating, even though I finished calculus BC last year. I'm praying to God that i'll do well on my midterm this week.

By Wo4567 (Wo4567) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

my AP physics class is awesome. it is so hard but everybody has an A. HOW, YOU ASK?
we study together! we do our homework in the "group of eight" all of us know each other and respect each other for our faults and strengths. case: we have one guy who is OBSESSED with relative theory. I happen to be fascinated with string theory. another guy is a calculus genius. two other guys provide comic relief (hahaha... they dont do much... ) these guys help us out a lot though b/c the rest of us have to teach them. this solidifies what we know as well as making them understand what the **** is going on. our teacher has us do group projects. for example: we did a "group of eight" project in which we had to calculate everything that was going on inside a super-conducting super-collider. from particulate matter to speeds close to c we all came together to figure out what was going on inside a device which (as we calculated) not even bill gates could pay the energy bill for. i love that class so much.
advice to those of you who arent passing>>>> work with your resources and DONT STUDY ALONE IT DOESNT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Jersey220 (Jersey220) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 09:57 pm: Edit

Why are you complaining about a B?! I thought I was the only person failing AP Physics. Then, I felt relieved that someone else was in my boat, and then crushed that the person that was failing physics has a B!!! I guess I am the only person failing. I hope I can boost it up to a C.

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

AP Physics C is tough here too, but it pays off. All 20 kids in the class got 5's.

By Fiza (Fiza) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 01:13 am: Edit

OMG!!! A B???? In AP PHYSICS????!!!! Just go jump off a cliff while you still have self-respect!

Seriously though:
Get the frik over yourself.

By Boatboat (Boatboat) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 03:45 am: Edit

ahhahah i am going to take back my comment "I am failing ap physics", clearly it is quite upsetting...im sorry i was in a very sensative mood that day...if it makes u all feel better my final was super hard and i have no idea how i did on it

By Boatboat (Boatboat) on Monday, January 19, 2004 - 03:47 am: Edit

ps: seriously like evena D in an ap cource is good,....colleges are just happy ur challenging urself! Sorry people don't be a stress ball like moi......enjoy high school!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page