Summer Program Selectivity

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Summer Program Selectivity
By Godilali (Godilali) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 09:02 pm: Edit

How selective are the Northwestern and University of Chicago summer programs?
I have a 3.0 GPA (some C's), but I have taken the hardest classes in my school and still have not felt challenged enough. That is why I wish to go to a good summer program.
I have decent PSAT scores: 225 (71V 74M 80W)
Do I have a shot at any of these?
If not, where do I have a chance to go?

By Luvvlise (Luvvlise) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

Northwestern (CPP) was surprisingly not very selective. My R.A. told me that not too many people have heard of it, thus the applicants were mostly self-selected. I know someone who had a couple D's on her transcript, as well as this one girl (whose personality I will never forget...) had an 18 on her ACTs. I don't know how selective NU Cherubs is, but the only person I've heard rejected from CPP was done so because he was caught for plagiarizing. Although the program seems to be hardly selective, I met some of the most brilliant people there, took very interesting classes, managed to finish the writing tutorial with honors (which helps as award/honors padding for applications), and had an amazing summer. The lakeshore is gorgeous this time of year. The only hard part was going back to high school and taking regular classes after such an experience. Take care, and good luck!

By Ithinkican (Ithinkican) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:33 pm: Edit

Take a look at the Stanford Summer Session... it was awesome and I highly recommend it.

By Ccoughlan2004 (Ccoughlan2004) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:47 pm: Edit

Northwestern's program is CTD. I think it was more selective than you think luvvlise. It depends on what classes you apply for. US History AP was quite selective, I know quite a few students from my school who were denied- and one of them ended up making it into Columbia ED this year...

By Luvvlise (Luvvlise) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:54 pm: Edit

We must be talking about two different summer programs of NU (there are a few). Although NU College Preparation Program - CPP(featuring its College Writing Tutorial) had brochures about being highly competitive, they accepted nearly all applicants, save a few. I haven't heard of CTD, so it may be more prestigious than CPP. I had a great time anyways.

http://www.scs.northwestern.edu/collegeprep/

By Godilali (Godilali) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 08:00 pm: Edit

anyone know of University of Chicago summer program?

By Godilali (Godilali) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

bumb

By Skracer3 (Skracer3) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

The Early American History summer program at the College of William and Mary is excellent. You can earn four hours of college credit in just one month.

By Midwesterner (Midwesterner) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Godilali -
U of Chicago's summer program info can be obtained through:
http://summer.uchicago.edu/

They are expensive!!!!

By Ccoughlan2004 (Ccoughlan2004) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 03:13 pm: Edit

luvvlise, i think you're right. CTD is Northwesterns Center for Talent Development (apparently for gifted kids- dunno how I got in). I didnt know they had a different program!

good luck finding one you like Godilali

By Luvvlise (Luvvlise) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

Ah right - I think I do remember CTD kids on campus (high schools students as well as a bunch of little ones with name tags ) Yeah, a separate thing from CPP. But yes, like many other summer programs, CPP's VERY expensive... and our dorm rooms weren't air conditioned, which is a horrid, horrid thing to go through during a humid midwestern summer. U of Chicago has the one up in providing dorms with air conditioning. But if your parents are willing to pay for it, the college credit's nice, and you really get the good feel of a college experience -- you're certainly not wasting away a summer. (BTW, on the weblink, I'm the girl in the middle :-P)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page