What do you put if you're pre-law

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: What do you put if you're pre-law
By Mexor (Mexor) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 08:07 pm: Edit

under "major" do you write pre-law? legal studies? or can you not major in that ..? what do you write?

By Joe3000t3 (Joe3000t3) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 08:10 pm: Edit

in most colleges there is no pre-law, so major in history ar any random things and then apply with a great gpa and lsat scores to a law school.
By The Way which schools?

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

There is no such thing as a "pre-law" major. It's just undergraduate advising. You can major in anything as an undergrad, and as long as your grades and LSAT scores are good, you can get into law school.

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

How about Political Science?

By Mexor (Mexor) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 09:33 pm: Edit

i put under majors:
1. Computer Science
2. Legal Studies (law)

think it'll make me look stupid?
note..the school DOES have a law school, and i do wanna study law ..just didn't know how to say it.there was no place to put it other than that

By Fiza (Fiza) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:53 pm: Edit

haha mexor. thats what I'm putting down too. Crazy eh?

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 05:01 pm: Edit

Do NOT put a major in "legal studies." A study showed that students with a "pre-legal studies" or similar major fared worse in law school than students with some other major. Philosophy, classics, and engineering students tend to be the most successful in law school.

Honestly, for law school, you can major in anything. I would advise against doing poli sci, history, etc just because you think it will be a good pre-law curriculum: you will have a very difficult time standing out during law school admissions, as 90% of applicants have the same group of majors.

If you want to study law at that school's law school later, find placement stats of their own undergrads (which should be fairly high, unless we are talking NYU here), and mention that. Cover letters are great - say something about wanting computer science because of x,y, and z, then say as well that you currently want to go to law school, and are considering that college's law school. Some schools have a 3-3 programme, in which you go undergrad for 3 years, get accepted to law school, and then go to law school for 3 years.

Majors which are suited for potential law students involve a good deal of reading, writing, and analytical thought.

By Xdtish (Xdtish) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 09:49 pm: Edit

"I would advise against doing poli sci, history, etc just because you think it will be a good pre-law curriculum: you will have a very difficult time standing out during law school admission"

But what if you really want to study those majors? Should you sacrifice? (btw, i'm talkin bout mi here)

By T2opine (T2opine) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 05:41 pm: Edit

I was told by the Pre-Law advisor at Duquesne that if you really want to major in something like poli sci, then you should go with either a double major or a minor in some other subject to make you stand out more.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

If you really do want to major in poli-sci, then go for it... and the above advice is good! You will not stand out much by major, but you might be able to do something really different - i.e. internships in one of the majors (also relating to law) - i.e. for economics if you managed to intern at a corporate law firm or with in-house counsel at a corporation, you'll be in good shape.

With history, it depends on how you do it. For example, if you take history and most of your classes focus on the 1960s, it may not help you much with law school. OTOH, if you take classes in ancient history, it may help you more, as those classes may involve more analysis (you spend a LOT of time discussing what it is possible to know about the time, what you can infer from texts, what the texts actually mean - i.e. Xenophan said that there were 2,000 dead Greeks and 400,000 dead Barbarians at Marathon, but the multiple of 20 indicates an exaggeration - that kind of thing).

There is no shortage of people who major in history and then go onto law school with the rationale that "I did not know what else to do with my degree in history."

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page