Washington u. in STL

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Washington u. in STL
By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 04:44 pm: Edit

what are my chances?
http://www.prstats.com/display.php?user=warriorlax22

By Dstark (Dstark) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 05:18 pm: Edit

I think you need to look at more schools. Every school on your list is a reach except for Syracuse.

By Mjl86 (Mjl86) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 06:14 pm: Edit

I got accepted to u of c EA. Your stats look ok, but your SAT is a bit low I think the average is 1420-1430. Your SAt2s are also a bit on the low side especially writing and us history, but they seriously don't look at that. You need to make sure you essays for U of C are very unique and good. they consider the personal statement a big factor towards your acceptance. Your GPA and Rank is also a bit low. Normally you like to be in the top 10%. but I see that you go to a private school, so they will probably cut you some slack but private schools are way better. I've been to both types.. I know this stuff. What I read in an artcile is that you do not want to list a lot of activities because the adcom will think you are a serail-joiner. maybe pick 8-10 really important ones and tell them why they are important to you and show then that you are involved Show them that you can contribute something to the school. Any way you probablu already applied, right?

I would say you are hollistcially better than the average applicant, so maybe 60%?

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 06:22 pm: Edit

I see that you have checked athlete next to each university. That is to be checked if your are actively being recruited by the university (not just if you play any sport). So what I'm trying to say is if you could clarify this, are you being recruited by all these schools because that would make a huge difference regarding your admission. If you are then your stats are fine for all your schools, they usually cut recruited athletes lots of slack. However, if you are not then like Dstark said I would suggest looking at some other schools because the majority of those are reaches. Good luck and keep us posted.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

NYU is a match for me, so i'm not worried about it. ok, well i misinterpreted the athlete thing...whoops. i apply to mostly reaches because i'm pretty set on my safeties 'cause i like them. no point in me in applying to 5 safeties if i'm going to one. i love 'cuse enough to not apply to 4 other schools.
Mjl86 - 60% that's a funny number 'cause on my profile i was weighing my chances and said 60% for chicago and .01% for princeton.
chicago's average SAT is 1310-1500.
wash. u's avergae is about the same.

By Dstark (Dstark) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 09:36 pm: Edit

A match is not a safety. Good luck.

By Andrey1225 (Andrey1225) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

you're hardly top 20% in your class and your SAT Is and IIs are exceptionally low for all of the schools you're applying too (including NYU)....honestly, NYU is the only viable reach on your list. sorry to be so blunt but you've had other opinions to boost your ego and this is just my opinion. if you're an asian with those stats applying to those schools you need something beyond exceptional....and unless the personal circumstances for your poor grades are exactly that you dont have much of a shot.

sorry to be such a damper, but i felt like being honest and voicing my opinion today. who knows, you could get into u of c, wash stl or nyu....im just a kid and know as much as every other poster about your chances. but judging from other applicants on this board you stand little chance.

By Sooky6 (Sooky6) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

I hope you'll be happy attending Syracuse, because that's where I'd guess you'll end up with this list. You are a match for NYU perhaps, but not an exceptionally strong candidate there. Your verbal SAT and GPA are low for these schools.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

"A match is not a safety."

ok....?

"and unless the personal circumstances for your poor grades are exactly that you dont have much of a shot."

exactly, so i do have a shot. all other years were pretty good (90's). sophomore year was really bad (80's). my counselor already explained it in her rec, so if colleges consider the strength of my programs, they're gonna put less weight on my GPA.

"I hope you'll be happy attending Syracuse, because that's where I'd guess you'll end up with this list."

it's good to know that you LOVE the numbers game.

By Andrey1225 (Andrey1225) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

let's use some quotes against you:

"so if colleges consider the strength of my programs, they're gonna put less weight on my GPA."

you're competing against applicants (myself included) who have taken 8 APs already and maintained a high grade point average through those classes. while the strength of the program is important, ultimately, if you perform poorly in tough classes they're going to have to notice. i mean the high school classes you take now are mediocre in comparison to the type of courses you're going to be taking in college....its a fast-paced, ultra-competitive environment, so they want to know that the kids they accept are ready for it.

"it's good to know that you LOVE the numbers game."

regardless of what you may have been told, numbers are the MOST important part of the application...especially for asian/white applicants. its the only way they can uniformally compare students from different backgrounds and in turn brag about how good their applicants are. what sets U of C, Wash StL, Cornell, etc apart from Syracuse? its the scores and quality of attending students. personal circumstances are often not enough to overcome that...

did you apply to any other schools?

By Televelis (Televelis) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Dude, you asked for people's opinions. I don't think you'll get into any of those schools, except for Syracuse.

Numbers aren't everything, but I see nothing else extraordinary about you. Essentially, there are many more qualified applicants applying to most of the schools you're applying to. NYU is no match, either, buddy. It is a reach... and not even a close one.

By Andrey1225 (Andrey1225) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 11:18 pm: Edit

i disagree with televelis on that one--i think NYU is a good reach...i wouldn't be surprised if you got in.

sorry everyone (myself included) is being so negative but you really don't have a good chance at the ivies...i think Wash StL is your closest far reach and even that would be a stretch...who knows though? everythings up in the air and anything could happen...

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 11:39 pm: Edit

i really have no idea why high school students place so much emphasis on grades. can someone remind me of yale's ea acceptance rate this year? oh, right, 6%. and i think a fair amount of 1600/800/800/800 kids got rejected. nothing may seem extraordinary to you, but colleges may see something they need. one year yale took on any good trumpet player because they needed them for the band. regardless of grades, if you were halfway decent, you were in. so, yes, like andrey said, anything could happen.
in april, we'll see what happens. i may be extremely disappointed or pleasantly surprised. if i get in, i'd be a prime example of the invalidity of the numbers game.

By Andrey1225 (Andrey1225) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 11:48 pm: Edit

it wasnt 6%....it was around 20% and they deferred a lot of applicants who might get in RD so utlimately their ED rate is going to be 20%.

but Warriorlax--your logic is a bit false. sure, they rejected some 1600s, but how many applicants with 1300s did they accept? probably far less. the acceptance rate for applicants with a 1600 is probably around 40%....i think its safe to assume that, but for 1300s im guessing its less than 5, and those are mostly special cases, ie athletes, URMs, alumni donators...

By Soblase (Soblase) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 11:52 pm: Edit

really, its chance. my numbers basically told me i wouldnt get into my top choice school, and I got in EA. if ur essays, recs, and ecs are good-great, ull have a fine chance cuz so much of it is luck/random.

good luck

basically, its silly to ask people their opinion here, because unless they're the adcom for the school you're applying to, they dont have an insider info.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 11:59 pm: Edit

20%? i heard 6. eh, whatever.
regardless, i'm saying no high school student is going to give a good enough analysis of college admissions because the view is "grades and numbers matter most." i mean, you said it yourself. it's just fundamentally flawed. are you going to tell me that a HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT is going to give me better advice than say a college student or something?
again, like you said, anything could happen. so i'll see what happens. hell, i could be rejected by syracuse and accepted by everyone else, who knows? but if any high school student DOES know the college admissions game, please tell me and i'll pay you $100.
ok, so why do i go on this site for advice? sheer human curiosity. but i should probably stay off it for awhile. high school students offer way too much negativity and are just entranced by numbers. like someone gets a 1600 and everyone's like "whoa! that's amazing. you're a genius. you'll get accepted anywhere." it's so ridiculous.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 12:00 am: Edit

again, proving my point soblase. and thank you for that first hand experience.

By Dstark (Dstark) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 12:07 am: Edit

I'm not a high school student.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 12:10 am: Edit

ok. so do you go to any of the schools i listed? 'cause you and a lot of college students, including princeton students, seem to have different views.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 03:44 am: Edit

dude, bottom line is that you're not going to get into schools with 10-20% acceptance with a 3.55. It's just not happening.

it's not a matter of opinion

By Peacemakeriv (Peacemakeriv) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 06:33 am: Edit

well, if u've got special talents or international awards, u've got a chance, good essays are needed too, but the thing is, u've got to have alot more ECs, awards and things like that to make up for ur numbers when they are not top notch, if one has 1600/2400, then they dont need as much ECs, but saying none, but not AS MUCH, but if u apply with 1300s, then the only reason they will admit u over the thousands of ppl who have over 1400 is cuz of ur ECs and ur personality, thus show it through ur app or u seriously have no chance (sorry)

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 07:08 am: Edit

"it's not a matter of opinion"

it's a matter of high schoool student analysis, right? ok thanks. just wanted to know.

and if indeed it IS a matter of fact, why do some people disagree? i mean, matters of fact can't be denied, right? 1+1=2; on december 7, 1941, pearl harbor was attacked; etc. you can't deny certain things or you're just ignorant. therefore, it IS a matter of opinion. also, your "matter of fact" is fundamentally flawed mainly because 1) you don't know me, 2) you haven't read my essays, 3) you haven't read my recs, and 4) you haven't been to my interview. so i think i'm still in the running for admission. but, hey, that's just my opinion, so i must be wrong if i can debate against matters of fact.

By Bobbyh (Bobbyh) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 12:48 pm: Edit

maybe if you had a gpa of 3.7 or above, but that 3.55 is way too low

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 01:47 pm: Edit

I don't think you're getting into Princeton, Chicago,or Wash U. Held up against the competition, you're nothing exceptional and you don't have any startling off-setting factors.

Cornell & NYU...maybe but less than 50 percent chance each.

It's an oft bandied about defense that "numbers aren't everything" but if you actually look at the admissions statistics, you can plot a pretty good curve, with somewhere around a 50-75 percent (depending on the school)admissions rate for 1600 SAT I's down to very small percentages for less than 1300. And at the lower 25 percent of the pool (check out the interquartile scores) you can bet that virtually every successful applicant has *something* of a compensating factor that caught the adcom's eye. Scores aside, your grades aren't going to wow anyone, either. Which leaves your compensating factor...which is?

I think you're making a *big* mistake in not understanding your competition realistically and gauging your prospects accordingly. On the overall scale of things, you look pretty good. The only problem is that most of your competition looks just as good and much of it is better.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 03:13 pm: Edit

Matters of fact cannot be denied, but people can be wrong.

I agree with Thedad in that you are not being realistic about your chances of admission.

"it's a matter of high schoool student analysis, right? ok thanks. just wanted to know."

What do you mean by high school student analysis? If you mean look at the courses offered at the school and the grading system, then yes, they look at that. But only to put your grades and scores into perspective. So when it comes down to it, the look at your grades as the measure of your high school success. You have to assume that many other people have equally challenging courseloads.

I overestimated my chances of admissions (my big problem was scores) at top places and ended up at a safety i didn't want to go to. That said, PICK YOUR SAFETY WISELY. As much as I hate to say it, you're probably going to end up there.

By Soblase (Soblase) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 05:32 pm: Edit

i stand by my above post. people defy the odds and statistics all the time (i did). unless any of the people posting are members of adcoms for those specific schools they cant be sure.

just make sure u have good to great ecs, recs, and essays.

good luck once again.

By Hertish (Hertish) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

"are you going to tell me that a HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT is going to give me better advice than say a college student or something?"

oh, is that why you posted here asking for your chances??

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 06:13 pm: Edit

please read things more carefully:
"ok, so why do i go on this site for advice? sheer human curiosity."

anyway, i'm applying to prep schools on the side for safeties. if i get in there, i can get recruited for the next year...particularly harvard. and no, it's not 'cause i said so, it's cause the coach said so. so whatever. i'm retaking the SAT's this month....hopefully, 1400-1450+. maybe that made some people a little happier.

thedad-
the only thing i have going for me at princeton is that the coach will speak on my behalf. and i'm an asian majoring in philosophy as opposed to engineering and math and all that.
for cornell, the police commissioner is submitting a rec for me. and that's pretty much it.

"PICK YOUR SAFETY WISELY"
got that covered. i like syracuse a lot anyway.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 08:40 pm: Edit

Are you on the coach's recruiting list or is he just speaking for you? If so, any idea where you are on the list? Not that most coaches don't blow smoke at everyone.

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 08:45 pm: Edit

Yeah, you need some saftey schools. Are you prepared for the possibility that every school on that will reject you? Really, apply to some saftey schools like Hofstra or a SUNY school just so you will have a fall back because based on your current list, you're going to need it.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 08:46 pm: Edit

no, i'm not being recruited. hopefully, what'll happen is he'll speak in support of my application so i get some sort of edge. i mean, i know some of his players can speak on my behalf as like recommendations, if you wanna call it that. i speak to his son once and awhile. from what i'm told, he really likes the newsletter and stuff i wrote for. but all i'm hoping for is that he'll bring my name up.

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 09:04 pm: Edit

him bringing your name up will have minimum effect. Coaches typically have a handfull of kids they want to recruit and they do not even hold enough weight to get all those kids in, unless it is a bigtime sports school like unc bball or something. Your not even on his recruiting list as you say, he has more important kids to worry about no offense.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 09:33 pm: Edit

What sport do you play?

Are you very good? If not look at some DII and DIII schools with excellent academics, which seems to be what you are going for. Admissions may be easier there as well. However, most are small liberal arts schools, so it depends what you want.

Applying to prep schools on the side? What are you talking about?

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

I1lmatics-
yeah, princeton's pretty big on lacrosse. their men's team won 6 national titles in the past fourteen years and has been in eight championship games. their women's team won the championship twice in the past two years and won one in '94. so, i like to think of princeton as very lacrosse-oriented.
argilopsychi-
i'm was getting recruited by university of maryland but it's for '05.
"Are you prepared for the possibility that every school on that will reject you?"
no, and i'm going to keep it that way. i highly doubt that syracuse is going to reject me.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 10:45 pm: Edit

I highly doubted my "safety" school would reject me. And guess what? They did!!

I'm not trying to get you angry or disparage your qualifications. But everyone thinks they will be the exception to the rule and get into the schools they want (myself very much included). And there's no saying you won't be that exception, but there is a very good chance you won't. Act accordingly! Get an absolute saftey at which you are 100% certain you will get in. And are certain you will like.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 10:52 pm: Edit

then syracuse must have raised their standards to unreachable levels within the past year. so let me repeat this for you 'cause it is getting quite boring:
SYRACUSE IS MY ONE AND ONLY SAFETY. I AM HAPPY WITH IT BEING MY SAFETY BECAUSE I LIKE IT.
no, i will not apply to hofstra or any suny schools.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 03:08 am: Edit

Dude chill out

The point is that you need to be CERTAIN you can get into your saftey school. If you have done some level of research or have valid reasons as to why you're sure you'll get in then you're fine. But really thinking you'll get in is not fine

That was my case. I really thought, by all measures of common sense and what the university said they were looking for, I would get in. However, I didn't! You never know what could go wrong. Your admissions officer could sneeze on your app and then it all goes down the crapper, right?

I'm kidding about that last part. But, dude, you've got to listen to people here. I'd say Syracuse is a very realistic match, and that your credentials will most liketly get you an admit. But a safety is like that state school that automatically admits people with x gpa and y sat score, or something of the like.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 11:30 am: Edit

I think Syracuse is a realistic safety for this poster. I would have suggested he also apply to someplace like BU or Tulane as a back up safety to give himself some choices if he doesn't get into his reaches. But as long as he will be happy if he only gets into Syracuse, I don't see a problem. Good luck.

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

You will def get into syracuse. Princeton is big in lax yea but being an ivy school they wont lower their standards for athletes as much unless they are dying to have you on the team. BTW it is extremely hard to get on pton lax as a walk on. MY friends on the team, the whole team is basically recruited

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 02:52 pm: Edit

who's your friend? (that's not meant in a strong context. i'm just curious...it looks like it's phrased defensively)

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

are you being recruited to syracuse for lacrosse?

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

no.

By Reba616 (Reba616) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

Warriorlax, why are you so unwilling to apply to a real, true safety, where you have no shot at rejection? You never know what might happen at Syracuse, their admissions system is more than just numbers... apply to a state school like Albany just in case, where decisions are completely numbers-based and just about everyone with above an 85 average gets in.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 05:04 pm: Edit

because applying to "real, true safeties" is weak and settling.
quite frankly, i've been told by nearly everyone that syracuse is safe enough for me. and i can probably get some money out of them. a kid from my school last year had like a 1290 SAT and maybe 90-94 GPA and he only pays $3000, at most to syracuse. so if i'm 60 points better with more activities and all thay, why bother applying anywhere else?

By Deeny1414 (Deeny1414) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 05:36 pm: Edit

But your not that kid, and this year they may be looking for someone different. Why are you so dead set against applying to another safety? It can't hurt you to apply to a school that you have a 100% chance of getting into. Syracuse for any applicant doesn't have a 100% guarantee for admission. Yes, you probably have a 90-99% chance of getting in, but what about that 1%? Would you rather not get into any college than go to another safety? Personally, I think you are kind of full of yourself, but it's your life, and for your sake, I hope you do get in. Just realize how ridiculous you sound.

By Dstark (Dstark) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Applying to safeties is not weak and settling. NOT applying to safeties is weak and definitely settling. The more choices you have, the more POWER you have. You may be looking very weak May 1st. Everyone should have safeties. Then they get to choose in April, instead of just being told where to go. If you get into multiple places, nobody is saying you have to go to your safety. It is insurance.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 07:37 pm: Edit

*Gives Dstark a high five*

I fully agree. And furthermore, applying to safteies is not weak and settling, it's SMART. You only have to go to your saftey if everything else fails. That's why it's called a SAFETY. It doesn't compromise your admissions process

I'd also like to add that you need to find a safety you would actually like to go to. Not one that is okay and that you never really truly consider going to because everything will work out fine for you. In all probablity, everything will work out and you'll get into syracuse. But just in case it doens't work out. Every year the number of appplications to college increases dramatically. Something *could* go wrong. Again, that's why it's called a SAFETY.

By Acennace (Acennace) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:44 am: Edit

OMG, I have almost the same stat n I still think NYU is a reach for me...
I apply to 2 safeties and 3 matches

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 11:16 am: Edit

As long as a student has thought thoroughly about his safety strategy, I don't have much to tell him. There are kids who have the stats where a couple of selective schools can serve as a safety and some who just throw in the state school as a safety.
My only regret is when the safety net is looked upon with such scorn and so little time and thought is put into investigating these schools. Anyone can come up with a list of the top schools in little time. Who would not want to get into HPY? That is a no brainer. Picking a group of schools out of the thousands of colleges in our country that can fit one's criteria and be a school where the student can thrive and be happy is the true challenge. Most of these schools are not names that one hears often, and it takes some real work to research what is in these schools. There are often some surprises to be found as well.
I have used Syracuse as an example of a school where parents have balked at paying the $45000+ sticker price once all was said and done because I was involved in a situation where it happened that this was a backup school for a student. He did get in, but did not get any money. A lot of parents are not clued into how difficult it can be to get money since all the college publications, the schools, everyone's standard repertoire is "Apply where you want--worry about the money later, financial aid is abundent at these private schools--noone who gets in is left hanging, etc etc." Not true. The EFC often turns out to be a number much, much higher than any family can imagine. And many families have worked themselves into a lifestyle and commitments that are not easily relinquished to pay the $200,000 tab for college. For Harvard, Dad may bite the bullet, break out the pension funds, sell the house, take out the loans. But is a Syracuse worth $30000 more than SUNY? For some it its, but when it comes time to pay that tuition, many have to look that question in the face a lot harder and come up with some other answers. Especially if there are other children, needs, commitiments, priorities, etc. That's when it is sweet to have several "safety" both in the sense of selectivity and finances to examine. Gettysburg College may be a fine school but $45000 vs the $12000 that York College in Pa costs is worth it? U of Miami is a great place to go, but what about Flagler with a much lower sticker price, and it may have a niche in some of its majors and programs more suited to you. Emerson is a top performing arts and composition school, but take a look at the facilities at Five Towns. And look at the price tags. If Dad's job is in danger, Grandma need an aid and can't afford it on her own, your sister has learning issues better addressed at an expensive private school, you might want to take a long clear look at your choices and what role you play in the family. Particularly on the finances. My girls were accepted to some top schools at those top price tags. They ended up at smaller schools, much less expensive with merit aid but more importantly the schools were much more in line with their desire to get into med school with very supportive premed programs affiliated with a med school. The older one is now in med school and does not have any debts from her undergraduate years, quite an enviable situation from many of her classmates who not only are going to owe for med school, but owe heavily form their undergrad education.
I'm not posting this so much for Warriorlax who is comfortable in his situation but for those who might benefit from this advice.

By Fiza (Fiza) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

From someone with stats close to urs: you NEED a safety!

Both my SAT scores and GPA/class rank are slightly higher but close enuf for me to be reputable. My ECs are much stronger. Good Recs. Good essay.

That said, I have FOUR safeties. Easy safeties where the average SAT score is 200 points lower than mine. You need atleast one of those.

Get over urself. Just becuz all ur private-school buddies are applying to Princeton doesnt mean you should be too. There's more to life than trivial pursuits and big egos.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 10:11 pm: Edit

"My ECs are much stronger. Good Recs. Good essay."
"There's more to life than...big egos."

inconsistent, but if you say so...but i'll tell you like i told everyone else: thanks for the advice, but no thanks. i'm gonna do whatever i want because i'm in at syracuse. and you're not going to change my mind with your safety "advice."

By Fiza (Fiza) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

My ECs ARE stronger. Its not an opinion-based thing. And I did not say anything resembling "my ECs are ten times better than yours" so I have no idea what u are talking about.

And I dont think the word 'good' "shows off my ego" or whatver you think it does.

and as far as the last thing goes: whatever. its ur life.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 11:31 pm: Edit

"its ur life."

exactly.

By Andrey1225 (Andrey1225) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 12:05 am: Edit

warriorlax22--You have a terrible attitude. Honestly, i think a lot of the negativity on this thread is your doing....if you want people to be constructive you have to respect their opinions; if you want them to berate you then do exactly what you're doing now. When someone makes a comment dont automatically assume they're wrong and you're right, because thats going to get you nowhere. Take what they're saying into consideration and then offer your own feedback about it without blatantly attacking them.

By Adxj220 (Adxj220) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 12:15 am: Edit

what an obnoxious biatch (warriorlax).

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 01:09 am: Edit

Warriorlax

Did you start this post so that you could have people tell you what want to hear, or so you could bash their advice? Either way you're doing a really good job of wasting everybody's (and your own) time.

You don't know you are in at Syracuse. You can't know, it's not possible! In all likelyhood you will get in but you don't know for sure. PERIOD.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 06:40 pm: Edit

whoa, whoa, whoa. i only started to see what my chances were at washington u., not to have people comment on my choice of safeties. a lot of the comments made were unnecessary because people got off topic, that's not my fault.

By Infinity (Infinity) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 06:46 pm: Edit

I am a junior and looking to see if anyone can help me out( WashU was one of the schools i really want to go to). The following are my specs as of now and I would greatly appreciate any input:
PSAT:72M,58V,58V
SAT I:740M,650V=>1390 comb
Courses:
AP Chem
PreAP calc
the rest all honors
GPA:3.67uw, 3.96 weighted
our school does not give ranking, NJ

Sports:
-2 year Varsity Tennis, will continue playing all four years
-3 year Marching Band (alto saxophone and will continue in this as well)

EC:
-JSA member (debate club)11
-Technology Studen Association member 10, 11
-All years top concert music group, all years Jazz Band. (these are not including marching band)
- I do Tutoring (mathematics)
-200+ volunteering hours at Princeton Medical Center summer before 10th,11 (will continue)
-plan to go to India and do volunteer work
-plan to take SAT I again and 3 SAT IIs
Awards-won an essay contest
Just wondering what my numbers in the remaining SATs should look like and if a 4 on AP chem is good enough for:
Reach: Cornell, Carnegie Mellon, Columbia Fu College, Purdue
Middle:Michigan ann arbor, WashU, Georgia Tech
Safety: Rutgers, Missouri Rolla, Clemson,
Plz post any information that can help me to set attainable goals.

By Subparasian (Subparasian) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

I give this post a 9.2... very entertaining to read a discussion of an immature punk justify his chances at colleges he'll never get into.

You post here to ask for help and attack those that try and give it to your straight and without sugar. The truth hurts but don't take my word for it, wait until May...

(I hope you like it in Maryland)

By Ifyoucould (Ifyoucould) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 11:15 pm: Edit

.....what's with this Infinity guy?
its soooo funny when one of those 'what are my chance thread stealers' suddenly come up when other people are having a serious discussion
not that my post is in any way related to the discussion..sorry

By Beramod (Beramod) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 12:14 am: Edit

Boy I got flamed like the devil for disparaging asians a few days ago. (Though they couldn't prove any fault in my statement, and I admitted I was kind of wrong.) That thread got deleted because of my excellent comeback, and it made every freaking poster look so freaking dumb. Haha. Warriorlax come back with a strong, inspired-by-bible comeback, and maybe this might get deleted too! (note: sarcasm... it really doesn't work typed.)

Infinity... You will be accepted into HEAVEN!!!
What more do you want to know? LOL

Warriorlax... "better be safe than sorry.."
Though it's your life and nobody cares what happens to you, and if you don't like us giving "advice" and can't stand us for our stupidity, visit Gehenna and see what they do at midnight every hour after sunrise. What? too much sugar! MY legs are shaking. Someone might Ban me for it tho..

By S17 (S17) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 01:55 am: Edit

Warriorlax, while your ambition is admirable, you are not being realistic here. I'm not trying to bash you, but be honest with yourself - a lot of these schools are huge reaches. For you to say otherwise is just ignorance. It's great that you like Syracuse (and you will probably be accepted there). Nobody likes criticism, but the people commenting on your chances are being accurate. You posted, you asked for opinions, and you got them; deal with it. Nobody here is trying to hurt your feelings (at least they weren't at first); we're trying to help you out in the college process by suggesting you get some safeties and be realistic. If you don't want to hear more opinions from petty high schoolers, I have a solution for you, leave the site. And never, ever, come back.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 09:49 am: Edit

"visit Gehenna and see what they do at midnight every hour after sunrise. What? too much sugar! MY legs are shaking. Someone might Ban me for it tho.."

ok....was that your "strong, inspired-by-bible comeback"? so anyway, screw it, i applied to each top 20 school with a deadline of 1/15 and i dropped my application to Syracuse. 'cause that's how unrealistic i really am. i kid you not. the application fees sucked though. whew.

"the people commenting on your chances are being accurate."

even the people who said i won't make NYU? when even my uber-pessimistic friend said i would? whatever, i dropped NYU from my list anyway.

By Dohinc (Dohinc) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 10:00 am: Edit

I think you should not apply to NYU or syracuse they're just bringing you down.

By S17 (S17) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 02:02 pm: Edit

Your inability to read an entire message and digest it, but rather just a single line with which you disagree, is sophomoric to say the least. Read my previous message over again before just angrily typing a rash response.

By Fri3ndlyfire (Fri3ndlyfire) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 03:36 pm: Edit

get rid of NYU and syracuse and apply to more ivies instead (just telling you what you want to hear)

By Them (Them) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 06:05 pm: Edit

This guy is a potential big time contributor to a CHAMPIONSHIP CALIBER university. As a talent evaluator, you take the 1500 SAT, 3.4 kid over the 1300, 4.0 guy every day of the week. The latter is an overachieving, LIMITED prospect. He'll get you the yards inside the 20, but can't take it 80 yards to the house. Further, you look at this 1500 guy, 3.4 GPA at a private school, he's getting it done against the REAL competition, the Miami's, Oklahoma's, Florida State's. The 4.0 sucker is racking up yardage on SMU and Army. Bottom line is, the 1500 cearly demonstrates the potential. Forget the GPA nonsense. I'll take the 1500 and he'll bring home the championships. Period.

By Deeny1414 (Deeny1414) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 07:29 pm: Edit

Do you even know what you just said?

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 08:35 pm: Edit

" ok....was that your "strong, inspired-by-bible comeback"? so anyway, screw it, i applied to each top 20 school with a deadline of 1/15 and i dropped my application to Syracuse. 'cause that's how unrealistic i really am. i kid you not. the application fees sucked though. whew. "

You BETTER be shitting us. You have a 3.55!! You're not getting into top 20 schools. you're just not!! no way are you. not happening.

Because, you see, you're going up against THOUSANDS of applicants that have high test scores AND high gpa's. Why would they take you?

" even the people who said i won't make NYU? when even my uber-pessimistic friend said i would? whatever, i dropped NYU from my list anyway. "

one pessimistic friend.....several objective people... what's better?
that's a toughy

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

yeah, well, tough turn of events, huh?

Read my previous message over again before just angrily typing a rash response.

"Read my previous message over again before just angrily typing a rash response."

it wasn't rash. i seriously did it.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 11:12 pm: Edit

warriorlax, which prep/private school do you attend? whether a 3.55 gpa is considered good or not largely depends on the strength of your graduating class. are the students in your school really that ultra competitive? but let me tell you that i've heard of stories where students from my school who applied with a gpa similar to yours were accepted by top caliber schools like harvard (they were not legacies or athletic recruits either)....but i think their SATs were much higher like in the 1450-1500+ range.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 02:06 am: Edit

class rank is a really important factor in determining what your gpa 'means'

and you're at the bottom of the second decile, which will hurt you.

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

Warriorlax,

I'll once again reiterate what I too have been telling you.

You need to apply to more schools, as every single school on your list with the exception of Syracuse is a reach.

I'd say your GPA is fine and you shouldn't worry too much about it. In the context of an NYC private school (I'm assuming that your school has rigourous academics on par with Stuy, Trinity, Horace Mann, Collegiate, etc.) then your 3.55 is fine.

However, your SAT's, both I and II, are pretty low - low enough that they barely get you through the door for many of the places that you're applying to. You also have no hooks to get you in - you're president of several clubs like 70% of the applicants out there.

Getting into Andover will be a big plus, but, let me tell you, attending one of the top feeder schools won't get you recruited to Harvard no matter what the coach says. Do you have national ranking to show for it now? Are you All-American? I can tell you that I go to one of those so-called 'feeder schools' too here in NYC, one that sends many more percentage-wise to HYP every year than does Andover or any Boarding school. Athletic recruitment is only a small advantage unless you're desperately and absolutely needed for the team. A friend of mine, ranked #1 Junior in foil, got into Harvard, and she had excellent stats to boot. Another friend, a Class 3 X-Country champion (sub 4:40 mile, has dominated races for four years, led team to win the Disney Invitational for two straight years) was promised "In" by the coach at williams. He has SAT's and SATII's in the 1400 and 700 range. Guess what - he was deferred. Why am I telling you this? You seem to have these delusions about college admissions. At the same time you decry other people for telling you the blatant truth about your chances, you liberally spout out incorrect college statistics and bluntly rate other people's chances in other threads to schools you barely have a shot at.

I hope everything works out for you in the end. You do have a shot at WUSTL, since it barely works out as a match.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page