|By Sammyk237 (Sammyk237) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 07:44 pm: Edit|
my name is sameer. im 16, and a junior at moorestown high school in new jersey. i am an indian.unfortunately, ive totally messed up my freshman year and i got a 2.9 for that year. my sophomore year gpa was 3.4 it looks like i am gonna get somewhere between 3.8-4.0 for my junior year. this is a list of the qualities i have going for me:
- go to moorestown high school in new jersey, top public school in new jersey
- i am an indian, this helps with minority/race
- i have 150+ hours of community service
- i have gone to john hopkins caa summer enrichment program and also the george school summer institute for the gifted
- last summer i did a huge comm. serv. project that involved collecting over 2000 medicines for poor people, and also two wheelchairs and a few canes, i went by foot for hours to houses all throughout the neighborhood and did this under the rotary club of india, and i got a letter of commendation from them as well
- i have many honors courses, and am taking one AP this year and 2 or 3 next year
- am aiming for a 1400-1500 on my SAT
- i am in spanish 5 honors, and will complete spanish if i take spanish 6 ap next year
- i got cut for teams i tried to play for the last two years, but will be playing volleyball this spring(hopefully varsity)
- this is my third year of playing violin and guitar for the orchestra (musical ability)
- am in debate, and have gone to yale(twice), princeton(twice), and harvard model congress, and i will be going to penn model congress this spring and looking to win an award
- along with debate, im in the national forensic league, from which i have 2 degrees of merit and a degree of honor
there are more, but i just cant think of them right now. other colleges im considering are george washington university, university of richmond, unc-chapel hill, penn state, boston university, boston college. also i was wondering if i did summer school at nyu, for which one can claim college credit and/or summer enrichment, would that help my chances in NYU? thanks alot for all the help.
|By Elgorila (Elgorila) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 09:55 pm: Edit|
First of all, we Indians don't get any boost because of our race. We are ORM's as opposed to URM's. I'd say you have a good shot at NYU, Penn State, and BU if you can get an SAT I around 1500. UNC Chapel Hill would probably be a long shot because you're out of state and you have a low GPA. I'm not sure about the rest.
|By Sammyk237 (Sammyk237) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 10:14 pm: Edit|
but dont colleges like a rise in gpa?
freshman - 2.9
sophomore - 3.4 (+.6)
junior - 3.8 (+.4)
senior - 4.0
also, there is a 4% asian population at UNC chapel hill. their diversity is extremely low, so being indian does help. they have just passed a law that they will consider a minority status important to admission, but not necessarily adding points to their application. feedback?
|By Nyu2010 (Nyu2010) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 08:56 pm: Edit|
You look a lot like me:
GPA: GOD KNOWS. prolly a b, b-? easy school in PA.
EC'S: Speech and Debate (10) I do oral declamation, going for national qualifier
Founded my own special club, hosting a special event, can't tell any more than that. (10)
JV Soccer (9,10)
Piano (since I was 8)
Principal's Council (10)
HOPEFULLY going to a special program this summer at a special college
Tour guide at science center (9,10)
Work at radio station (9,10)
Work at TV station (soon to be. can't find the time, or the person to drive me)
I have no chance.
Report an offensive message on this page E-mail this page to a friend
|Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.|
|Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only|