Can i get into Tufts or USC

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Can i get into Tufts or USC
By G2go1818 (G2go1818) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 06:53 pm: Edit

White male from Washington.
GPA -> 3.86 unweighted (continually going upwards 4.0 since 2nd semester sophomore year, on the midterm report to schools i will have another 4.0 this year).
ACT -> 30: 34math 31reading 29science 24english(wtf?)
Somewhat rural background -> Lived on farm, had lots and lots of animals, still live sorta on a farm (probably won't help, not rural enough).
Extra Curricular ->
President and Founder of BHS bowling club.
NHS member.
Select soccer since age 10. (Our team got first place last year, and third place this year. Many trophies and medals, like 25, most are prior to 9th grade though.)
Very good skier and snowboarder (double
diamond on both).
Earth service core member.
Boys State 2003 (held four county
positions).
Extensive US travel via car, seen all of
the US
Work/Installation on my car (do all my car
modifications myself, i guess you could say
i am a car enthusiast/mechanic)
Vegetarian
Work Experience ->
*Have been selling things on eBay since i
was 10 years old. Sold over 140 items on
ebay. My own little business.
*Work at High Spirits Farm (pet stuff)
about 10 hours per week.
Really good essays to both schools. I did the optional second essay to Tufts.
I have had two interviews with USC, they went VERY well. One was at USC the other was in Seattle, it was actually the same lady both times, and she immeaditely remembered me and asked about my family, what's new with my life, etc... I have yet to interview with Tufts; however, i am a very flattering person. Interviews are a piece of cake to me.

Let me know wassup. I will be applying to the business school at USC.

By Kingdvl (Kingdvl) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

I'd say you're chances are 60/40 of getting in. Business school will make it a bit harder. The ebay thing also doesn't matter at all. Tufts is also about 60/40.

By G2go1818 (G2go1818) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 09:34 pm: Edit

Cool, thanks. That was about what i expected. However, with USC i put pre-business as my intended major, but i will be considered for normal admission won't I? Like i can get into USC itself, but be denied from the Business program?

By G2go1818 (G2go1818) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 12:42 am: Edit

anyone....

By Balkanman21 (Balkanman21) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 12:47 am: Edit

I think you have great shots at both, especially USC

By G2go1818 (G2go1818) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 01:39 am: Edit

Cool, thanks.

By G2go1818 (G2go1818) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 07:15 pm: Edit

bump, bump, bump, bump, bump, bump, bump, bump it up!

By Mjl86 (Mjl86) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 07:57 pm: Edit

Do you go to Bellevue high school, btw, cuz I used to go there...

By G2go1818 (G2go1818) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 09:39 pm: Edit

Nope, i got to Bainbridge High School

Anyone else...? How bout my chances at Claremont McKenna. Two good essays there, plus a good interview when i visited. (She asked pretty funky questions, like: What do you think about our foreign policy?, if you could be three inanimate objects what would you be and why?, Something about our economic situation and Bush as president. I was like woah, wtf.

By Balkanman21 (Balkanman21) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:09 pm: Edit

Have you visited Claremont McKenna? I just came back from my visit and I did not like it at all. There is like one building with all the classes CMC offers. The shared library is nice. Claremont, as a town, is okay, but itís boring. I hope you answered ďYes, our foreign policy is great and Bush is a great leader,Ē because Claremont McKenna can be pretty conservative (depending on the alumnus/representative you are speaking with of course). But then again, how conservative can anything in California be?

By G2go1818 (G2go1818) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:25 pm: Edit

Yep i visited (that's when the interview took place) for some reason i liked CMC more than any other of the Claremont schools. One of the major reasons is because i want to major in economics... The students seems very close, everyone knows everyone else, plus the intramural sports seem pretty fun. I LOVE how there is lot's of parking everywhere, because my car is important to me... 40 minutes to LA, 15 minutes to skiing, 30 minutes to beaches... Seems nice to me :)

.... so do you think i could get in?

By Balkanman21 (Balkanman21) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:55 pm: Edit

You have a shot, but CMC is even more selective than Tufts. Iím applying ED II to Tufts. McKenna is expecting an increase of applicants this year, so I donít know what your chances are like. Youíre from the West coast and that might actually help you, but Iím not sure. My counselor says I will have an easier time getting into Johns Hopkins than CMC and I live in Cali. Even though I was quick to attack it, itís a very good school (for politics/economics) and I have also applied. Good luck with all youíre apps; we seem to be applying to all the same schools :)

By G2go1818 (G2go1818) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 12:30 pm: Edit

Anyone else. The school i go to has very good connections with Claremont McKenna (the only school it has connections with :( ) Also with Tufts, i don't think anyone from my school has ever gone to, or even applied to Tufts, will this help or hurt my chances?

By G2go1818 (G2go1818) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 09:36 pm: Edit

By Balkanman21 (Balkanman21) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Well I think that colleges do not like accepting too many kids from the same school, but they have no specific limit. The drawback might be that Tufts is unfamiliar with your school. For example, my school is one of the most competitive high schools in Cali, but many East Coast schools are not familiar with our excellent reputation and we are disadvantaged in this respect. We sent 25 kids to Berkeley, 25 to UCLA and 15 to Stanford, but other schools donít know us very well and are unfamiliar with the rigor of our program and accept less of our students because of this.

By G2go1818 (G2go1818) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 02:18 pm: Edit

hmmm. So that means that could help my chances at CMC, but hurt them at Tufts?

By G2go1818 (G2go1818) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

bump

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 04:40 pm: Edit

I didn't get accepted into the business school last year, but I still got into USC. They just put you as pre-business and you apply again anytime after your sophomore year. Good luck!

By Useatoothbrush (Useatoothbrush) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 12:53 am: Edit

"President and Founder of BHS bowling club"

What the hell? Bainbridge doesn't have a functioning bowling club that I know of.

By Deeny1414 (Deeny1414) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 11:03 am: Edit

My interviewer told me that when her son went to Tufts, so did like 4 other people from his class. I don't think Tufts cares about quotas, they just look at the individual student. And don't think that I go to a huge school in New York or Mass, and that's why it happened. I live in Maine.

By Abs294 (Abs294) on Sunday, January 18, 2004 - 08:49 pm: Edit

I don't think Tufts does quotas... and I'm also not so sure how much alum interviews help in the admissions process. My mom used to do them, and she never interviewed someone she didn't think was qualified to go there and only 2 or 3 out of 15 got in. I think the only negative thing was if you really bomb your interview and make a negative impression on the interviewer.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page