Community College Tranfer

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Community College Tranfer
By Kidkoss707 (Kidkoss707) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

hey everyone
well this is my first post and I have some questions regarding transfering from a community college. In high school I didn't do very well. My Overall GPA was around a 2.0, and I got 1100 on my SAT. I also received a few Golden State exam awards. Now I am at the local community college. I have a 3.5 GPA (I have 4 F's, but I retook the classes, and got A's in all of them, had a terrible first year), I work 25 hours a week in a job that is closely related to my major(work at a la firm in accounting, and my major is business economics), I complete about 50+ hours of community service per semester making web pages for non-profits, I am hispanic, and I have 3 semesters left before I can transfer.I am also in EOPS which is a program designed for first generation college students. I was wondering if my JC grades would over ride my High school grades? Also, is it harder or easier to get in after the JC as opposed to straight out of college? My Top 3 choices for Buisness related majors are:
UCLA
UCSB
UCSD
UCD

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

By Melbel219 (Melbel219) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

they don't even ask for your highschool grades or your SAT score.

have you looked into the Alpha Gamma Sigma honor society for California Community colleges? it's totally worth it if your school has an active chapter. I believe that since you are in EOPS, some of your fees are waived. Also, check in to see if your school offers a guaranteed transfer program.. i don't like them particularly (but that's just because my school doesn't offer them) but in most JC's in SoCal, they guarantee admission into schools such as UCLA, UCSB, and UCSD.. if you maintain a certain GPA and course load.. and you don't have to commit to any of them...

keep it up and good luck.. i just applied from DVC to UCB, UCLA, UCSD and UCSB.. so, i'm just waiting to see if it's easier (or not) to transfer from a JC to a UC.. :)

By Kidkoss707 (Kidkoss707) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 03:08 am: Edit

Awesome, I will check out the honor society you mentioned. Good luck to you too!

ANy one else?

By Sweetnhappy (Sweetnhappy) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 11:12 am: Edit

Sometimes you have a better chance of getting into your chosen college if you go to a community college first. You also get to save some money ;)

By Kidkoss707 (Kidkoss707) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 12:23 am: Edit

bump

By Dreaminfrosh (Dreaminfrosh) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 01:54 am: Edit

I'm a comm. college student too - in CA. Good luck to you!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page