The Chances of a 3-year?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: The Chances of a 3-year?
By Joe3000t3 (Joe3000t3) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 03:46 pm: Edit

I hated High-school and in the beginning of 2003 decided to graduate a year early and scored 1440 on SAT (780M/660V) and 800 on Math 2C, 770 Math 1c and 800 Writing I hope to take SAT2 Physics in January. I went to summer school and worked my tail off to apply to 12 colleges by December while taking the hardest course-load yet. My GPA was a 2.8 and will be a 3.0-3.1 by midyear. I am taking an honors and an AP Psychology class this year and might take the AP Stats test for the hell of it at the end of the year. I am got Honor roll for the first term and might get it term 2, I applied to (and wrote good essays for):
UMass Amherst
Boston University
NYU (Film)
Brandeis
USC (Film School)
UCLA
Vanderbilt
Cornell (Film)
Columbia
McGill
Yale
Stanford
I am applying as a Psych major aside from the ones where I labeled Film and am interested in my chances to these schools. I am White and Jewish, not rich or poor. I come from a very good school (Newton South) and have won several honors and awards and have good extra-curricular activities and had two teachers who really like me write the recommendations. Please give me your best estimates, thank you.

P.S. I live in MA if that has any bearing

By Mjl86 (Mjl86) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 03:49 pm: Edit

Sorry but i think you have no chance even with a gpa of 3.1 Go to high school one more year and raise that gpa so you are at least top 10% The schools you selected are all very selective

By Joe3000t3 (Joe3000t3) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 05:24 pm: Edit

well, I thought I had a chance at UMass Amherst and BU, but is there chance for the other schools I mentioned and taking into consideration my major. Also is there a chance that some schools would perfer an active intelligent man to a person who stays within the framework?

By Mjl86 (Mjl86) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 07:27 pm: Edit

i think you have a chance at the school you listsed on your last post, but i would stay one more year in high school and go to a better school. or... You could join an early studies programs like me. I'm a senior, but I am taking classes at the local university. but of course, you have to qualify... don't rush school and end up going to crap college, thats all i'm saying...

By Alex86 (Alex86) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 08:05 pm: Edit

i'm also graduating a year early....
and everyone is right, your GPA is going to hurt you loads. it doesnt matter what your reasoning is- most schools (and most definately competitive ones) are going to wonder why you think you will be able to handle a college workload when your grades indicate you couldnt handle a high school workload. esp at the ivies....for example, i am taking 7 APs this year, and the yale rep told me if i didnt get straight As, i wouldnt have a snowflake's chance in hell at getting in, because it would be demonstrating that i would not be able to handle yale's workload.
also, doing well on standardized tests and poorly in school is a major red flag- it makes colleges feel like you could have done better in school if you had tried. not saying you didnt try, just saying it looks like that. unless your grades have dropped because your extracurrcular was curing cancer.... good ECs and recs and test scores wont compensate for a C avg or even a loooow B.
plus pyschology is a pretty common major (i think it might be among the top 5 most common) so you will not get any boost from that.
bluntly, for whatever reason you have such a low GPA despite being "an active intelligent man" there are hundreds more applicant who are active, intelligent and do well in school.
and it is a HUGE disadvantage to apply after 3 years, so you really cant have any weaknesses on your app.
i'm sorry this post is hard- i'm a tell-it-like-it-is kind of person.

By Kingdvl (Kingdvl) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 08:45 pm: Edit

yea..with your gpa and graduating a year early, you have no chance at all of those schools.

By Joe3000t3 (Joe3000t3) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 09:35 pm: Edit

do you think a 3.0 or 3.1 would be so much better if it had 4 years to it rather then 3?

By Alex86 (Alex86) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 10:25 pm: Edit

yes, but only because its one less disadvantage.
but, no offense, it prob will never get you into a top school.

By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 10:37 pm: Edit

Aside from the Ivies and the other top schools, I'd say you have a pretty good chance. But still, that's a lot of money going down the drain for the applications...

By Girlinbraids (Girlinbraids) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 12:33 am: Edit

I just had to respond because I'm applying to U Mass Amherst too and people hardly ever mention the school on CC. I think you have a great shot at U Mass Amherst, especially because you're a resident of MA. Your GPA will make it very difficult for you to be accepted at Stanford, Yale, etc. but you never know. And, great test scores. =) Good luck. ~Francesca

By Marestar20 (Marestar20) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 01:29 am: Edit

I have never heard that it is more difficult to get in when you graduate early. What is the reasoning behind that?

- Mary

By Alex86 (Alex86) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 09:30 am: Edit

colleges have basically told me that they hate early graduates- unless they have extraordinarily strong reasons for skipping out on a year of high school. the colleges want to see that you have exhausted your schools resources. also- a lot of school worry about the "emotional maturity" of early grads. it doesnt really make exact sense, but i guess colleges would just rather you toughed it all out.

By Joe3000t3 (Joe3000t3) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 03:36 pm: Edit

well, I tried to convey my emotional "maturity" in my essays but I have been on track with independence since I was 13 and aside from course load at that age I would have no problem with college.

By Joe3000t3 (Joe3000t3) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 03:03 pm: Edit

There should be a message board for juniors graduating, it would be great to devise a way to turn the early grad into a advantage.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page