Importance of ECs? (basically, what are my chances?)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Importance of ECs? (basically, what are my chances?)
By Claybellinger (Claybellinger) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 02:39 pm: Edit

I have virtually none (just track in tenth grade). My school, which quite good, offers a lot. Am I screwed?

My stats:
660V 710M (1370)
3.63 (unweighted) - 4 APs and some honors courses
800 writing, 720 Math 1C, 620 US History
minor honors and awards
average to above average recs
average to above average essay
Indian-American

first choice: NYU
others: BU, WUSTL, SUNYs, PennState

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 03:05 pm: Edit

ECs don't need to be official. They can be hobbies and interests as well.

By Musictoad (Musictoad) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 03:19 pm: Edit

WUSTL is very very hard to get into. Probably close to 20,000 apps for about 1300+ spots. You'll need everything you got to fall your way.

D ruled it out for music as most of their music scholarship funding has, or so it appeared from the conversation, fallen apart.

By Yugekorb (Yugekorb) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 04:15 pm: Edit

"ECs don't need to be official. They can be hobbies and interests as well. "
does this mean that if i played community baseball, it counts? cuz i am really stretching for EC's?

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 04:20 pm: Edit

What do you mean by community baseball?

By Balkanman21 (Balkanman21) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 04:24 pm: Edit

He means that he played baseball with his younger cousin once in front of his house. They used a sack of flour as home plate, a broken broom stick as a bat, and old shirts as catching mitts. Jk :)

If there is some kind of significant time commitment put it down

By Wo4567 (Wo4567) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

ECs do not have to be connected to your school either. I have played violin for 13 years and was never given an opportunity to play in anything except Talent Shows etc until my senior year where I now teach violin and viola. They can include church youth groups or volunteer experiences such as candy-striping at a hospital. You must have spent your high school years doing something... if you have to bs and say you're a "thinker" not a "doer"... well at least you'll make them laugh. good luck.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page