NEED HELP WITH MY DECISION

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: NEED HELP WITH MY DECISION
By Pwiddles (Pwiddles) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 12:09 pm: Edit

I just wanted to know if anyone knows any schools that would be good for what I want to major in (pre-med). My stats are not that great, but I was wondering if you could reccommend any schools that you think I would get into.

SAT SCore-1100(STILL WAITING FOR Dec. 20 SAT SCORE)
H.S. Average- 88 (weighted)
Class Rank- 20/65
*Lots of volunteer work(tutor, mentor)
*NHS
*Speak Greek(I am GREEK) and take Spanish
*Assistant Secratary for organization
* Did 3 sports in high school
*AP Exams- 4 ON THE U.S HISTORY & 2 ON THE English
Courses taking this year: AP BIO, AP GOV., AP Engligh Lit., Spanish IV & V, Scientific Research, Regular Regents Math.

Please give me any input!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):)
Be honest.

By Iluvtoshop (Iluvtoshop) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 12:31 pm: Edit

Well, you can't major in pre-med. There are just certain classes that you have to take if you are going to be pre-med so you have to major in something else. Where are you looking for schools?..east coast? west coast? LACs?. You need to be more specific because there are alot of colleges out there.

By Beenthereil (Beenthereil) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 12:32 pm: Edit

Sound like a junior college candidate at this time.

You should go to a junior college and "dazzle them".

Apparently, while you speak Greek, your English language skills have been somewhat affected (2 on the English AP Exam).

Hope is not all gone, but you have to be more realistic. You need to go and put up some academic numbers someplace to qualify for anyone's med school program. Pre-med means very little for you at this time. You need a ton of academic improvement in many areas to get into a quality 4 year school which would then be a "springboard" to med school.

What about going to med school in Greece? Then, coming back to the US and taking the exams?

By Pwiddles (Pwiddles) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 01:48 pm: Edit

I was interested in University of New Hampshire. Just a question for Beentheireil: Why a junior college. I have got an 1100 and I took AP classes. Why can't I go to a regualr University. Are my grades really that bad. People who had worse grades have gotten into great colleges!

By Pwiddles (Pwiddles) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 01:50 pm: Edit

I want to stay near the Middle States and major in the Biological Sciences. Any ideas of schools I have a good chance at?(universities or private)?
Is a community college my only option????:(

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

No. Plenty of doctors slack off in high school then go to a plenty respected college/university. Don't compare yourself to the other peeps in here goin to super prestigious schools. You don't need that for a good med school.

University of NH will do you good if you can get accepted. I say go for it.

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit

Your grades are fine enough to get you into a state school, or a lower to mid level private school. An 1100 is not all that bad, and you have a respectable GPA. You can do pre-med from just about anymore. If you do well in your classes, ace the MCATS, and join your college community, it doesn't really matter what undergraduate university you attend.

By Pwiddles (Pwiddles) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 04:43 pm: Edit

Do you think that my list so far is o.k for me or am I reaching too high?

Fordham, Ithaca, Northeastern, La Salle, UCONN, UNH, Philadelphia University

Any other suggestions. I don't know about any good state schools that I could get into. My mother traveled here from another country twenty years ago and my father died when I was 3, so I am really the first one (besides my sister) to go to college.

By Xyz155 (Xyz155) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 05:24 pm: Edit

Pwiddles, do not listen to Been at all. I have no clue why they are suggesting a junior college, some ppl just make me sick on this board...Anyway your stats are very respectable and you will have no problem getting into all of those schools on your list. I also saw your post earlier about Quinnipiac and u'll easily get in there but you are borderline @ UConn. Best of luck to you!

By Wo4567 (Wo4567) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

Pwiddles, do not listen to Iluvtoshop either. You can do pre-med by majoring in just about anything. Pre-med is NOT a major... just to clear that up. Pre-medicine is a collection of requirements that you have to fulfill to get into med school. You can major in Greek or education or Physics or History and still be "pre-med" as long as you have a pre-med advisor at your college and you take classes to fulfill pre-med requirements. I think that you have to have ten credits of pre-med including bio, organic chem, inorganic chem, some type of engineering, and a math. You also have to take the MCATs, so make sure you take classes in college to prepare you for those. Because most colleges ask you to have 30 credits when you graduate you have 20 credits to do anything with. Major in something that interests you while making sure you fulfill those pre-med requirements and prepare for the MCATs. For example, I am going into music education pre-med. Sounds crazy, but when I graduate from med school I could either go teach violin in Rhode Island or go into residency at a University hospital. Just keep your options open and good luck.

By Beenthereil (Beenthereil) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 06:02 pm: Edit

pwi...The reason why you would go to a junior college and then transfer to a 4 year school which offers a "pre-med" course of studies is obvious...because you are more likely to improve your grades at the junior college before you transfer to the 4 year school. It is the combined gpa that med schools will look for in considering your application for admission.

The problem with many posters on this board is the fact that they start writing before they read the post/poster that they are "writing about". I never said anything about either the SAT score or your grades being poor.

Whatever you do, good luck to you.

I've put 4 kids through colleges so I feel qualified to write on the subject matter. Only 3 more to go!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page