What are my chances for the following schools...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: What are my chances for the following schools...
By Synapse (Synapse) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 06:21 am: Edit

I'm applying to:
Binghamton/Albany/Buffalo
Penn State U Park
NYU
BU
Cornell
Hamilton
U of Maryland College Park
Syracuse
Lehigh

Stats:

Forest Hills HS, Forest Hills, NY (Grades 10-12)
Stephen A. Halsey JHS, Rego Park, NY (Grade 9)
Graduation June 2004
GPA- 3.2 unweighted
SAT- highest verbal 610, highest math 630
Composite-1240
8 AP courses, including: Chemistry, Biology, US History, Government, English, Statistics, Psychology and Art History
10-15 honors classes

AP Grades
Chemistry-2
US History-5
Statistics-4

Athletics

Varsity Bowling – Grades 11, 12
Queens PSAL Division IV Champions 12th Grade
Seed #16 PSAL Playoffs
Co-Captain

Novice Baseball- Grade 9

Activities

Key Club Member- Grades 11, 12
Moot Court Team- Grade 11
Mock Trial Team- Grade 11
F.B.L.A. Member- Grade 10
-Attended divisional conferences in coordination with FBLA
Amnesty International Member – Grade 12
Forester Yearbook Editor- Lead Computer Editor and Layout Consultant-Grade 12
Dean’s Assistant- Grade 9
Social Studies Honor Society- Grade 11
Law and Humanities Program- Grades 10-12

Leadership

Key Club President Forest Hills HS Chapter- Grade 11- 12
Committee Executive- Key Club

Community Service

March of Dimes Committee- Grade 11- 10 Hours
-Coordinated Forest Hills HS fundraising events
Walk of America- Grade 11-10 Hours
- Participated in Event and Coordinated Activity
Forest Hills Community House- Grade 9
Breast Cancer Society Volunteer
Fundraiser for the National Kidney Association- Grade 12
UNICEF Fundraising
Active Volunteer in the Forest Hills Community

Employment

Student Aid- Summer Literacy Program- P.S. 34 Elementary School, Green point, Brooklyn, NY
July 2002- August 2002
July 2003- August 2003

Internship- Law Offices of Goldberg & Lustig esq.
June 2001- August 2001

My main problems are a few C's and D's on my transcript due to deaths in the family. Both my grandmother and my grandfather passed away within weeks during my junior year which grossly affected my grades... Failed tests, wasnt prepared, etc. Also there are a ton of inconsistences on my transcript. Ex: Global History 96, Global History Regents 81. Would those inconsistencies affect my chances? I wrote on my applications that I had multiple deaths in my family. Would they be considerate of my shortfalls due to my family issues?

By Youngp (Youngp) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 03:25 pm: Edit

i think u will be in Penn State, Maryland, Syracuse, BU..... NYU> maybe.

By Caliplaya03 (Caliplaya03) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 04:31 pm: Edit

What is your weighted GPA? Well I hope it is a lot better weighted. I think NYU,BU, and Cornell are reaches but I dont know much about the other schools. I hope they will be considerate of your shortfalls but i'm not entirely sure. I lost my grandmother in my junior year too. Well i hope see is resting in peace and GOD BLESS.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 05:36 pm: Edit

I am assuming you have applied already. I think most of those schools are a reach/match for you. A lot of the state schools, Penn State in particular really stresses the grades in form of class rank--it counts for two thirds of the grades/SAT portion of your profile. The other thing that counts heavily both for Penn State and UMd is the date your app is received. As seats fill up, it gets harder to get in. Especially out of state.
Since you have these apps out, why don't you look for some safety schools for yourself just so you have a few choices come March. You may well get into some of these schools but with the admissions situation as it has become, it is wise to have some backups. Look for some schools that you can apply on line for free. Look at some of the smaller SUNYs , catholic schools and some places like Western MD, Suquehanna, Juniata, Hartwick, St Lawrence, Lasalle, Temple. I don't think you applied out of range with reaches and matches, but you do need some safeties as everyone does.

By Synapse (Synapse) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 07:53 pm: Edit

They do not weight grades at my school.. it sucks alot. I added buffalo and albany as safeties because my dad graduated from buffalo and as an alumni he has connections so im almost bound to get into buffalo atleast and probably albany for the same reason in that my dad has some political connections.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 09:04 pm: Edit

i think only NYU asks for reasons for shortcomings. i know cornell really doesn't care...maybe if it's written by a counselor.

By Synapse (Synapse) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit

My shortcomings were written in a recommendation letter written by my college counselor.. so any college that asked for a recommendation was given one.

By Synapse (Synapse) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 12:23 am: Edit

any other advice would be helpful... I'm hoping that my recommendations/essay/course load can make up for my shortfalls. Do I have a shot at Hamilton?

By Lobi (Lobi) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 12:46 am: Edit

You have good crededtials to get into many of them. Sure you do, but one thing you need to realize is how IMPORTANT your ESSAY is. Your essay can make you and break you. I assure you. If your essay is insightful and unique, sure it can give you five stars. Because , you see, the essays are the ONLY part that affect an Admissions Officer's emotions(Except, of course Music and Art works). That's really important.

Also, what MAJOR? That's important to, for example, if you say you're applying to Cornell for Hotel Management(They're no.1), it might be tough.

By Synapse (Synapse) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 12:34 am: Edit

I most likely will major in either political science or psychology. I am going for an interview with Hamilton at the end of the month.. Do I have a resonable chance of getting in?

Here is my essay for those who have not read it yet...

“…the President of the Forest Hills High School Key Club” the emcee announced, as I made my way to the podium. I felt that all eyes were on me as I shuffled to the front of the auditorium. In an effort to calm myself, I arranged my papers in a meticulous manner so as to not get lost in my thoughts or my words. My hands felt clammy, and I was concerned about losing concentration. Because of my shyness, I am not very comfortable with public speaking, but as the president elect of our high school key club chapter, it was my responsibility to present the club at the New York District Convention this past March. I cleared my throat and began speaking….

My shyness has been a persistent problem for me. In the classroom, I would rarely raise my hand to participate. Instead I would slump in my seat hoping that I wouldn’t be called on. I had great difficulty standing in front of the class and speaking my mind. Even in smaller groups I was often intimidated by other people and I didn’t have enough self confidence to express my ideas. I was reluctant to confide in friends, let alone express myself before groups of other people. I especially avoided all situations that involved public speaking. It had become a personal rule that I could not speak in front of large groups of people. Some previous attempts to speak in public stand out in my memory. I recall on one occasion my nervousness when I gave a presentation concerning Latin American cultures. In another class I remember my anxiety when I tried to convince a jury of my peers to convict Winston Moseley of the grisly crime of murdering a defenseless woman, Catherine Genovese. Consequently, I received low grades on both assignments due to my lack of charisma and confidence.

As I have matured, however, I have recognized my timid behavior as a handicap.
Academic and Professional success sometimes depends on one’s adeptness at public speaking. I was chosen to give the speech because I was President Elect for the upcoming school year. I prepared for weeks, writing the speech and practicing it before a mirror. I tried to remember this practice as I began my speech.…

The key club chapter in Forest Hills High School has accomplished much in the sense of our community and our citizens. We have not only fed the homeless, but we have also raised over a few thousand dollars for national organizations. An old proverb once stated, ‘Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement.’ Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. Without the members of our club, nothing would have been possible. If not for their achievement and support we would not have surpassed our expectations for our commitment to our community.

I took a breath from speaking and I realized that all eyes were on me. The feeling of being the center of attention was both anxiety producing and exhilarating. A growing feeling of confidence enabled me to forget about being nervous and helped to ease my tension. “We have participated in such events as March of Dimes, Walk America and numerous homeless shelters in New York City.” I was feeling a growing sense of accomplishment, not simply because of my speech, but because of my success in overcoming an obstacle. As I neared the end of my speech, I began to appreciate what I was doing, the causes for which I was fighting. “The objective of our club will always stay the same and I am hoping as the new president for the upcoming key club year, that I can provide for the members what they have provided for our community. Thank You.” I lay my speech on the podium as I collected my thoughts. The polite quiet in the room was succeeded by an eruption of applause as I made my way to my seat.

This experience has helped me gain confidence and begin to overcome my fear of public speaking. I’ve realized that although this was just one speech, it was the first step in my growth and maturation process. In my classes, I have begun to take a more vocal role. I regularly raise my hand in class and participate more often. I know that I must continue to work hard to improve my public speaking abilities as I know I will need the skills in my future endeavors. I look forward to more public speaking opportunities in college.

How is it, Lobi?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page