Totally sweet dude trying to get into college

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Totally sweet dude trying to get into college
By gooberpea123 on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 07:45 pm: Edit

Well here are my stats... i need an intelligent opinion from some intelligent kids. Schools:

Georgetown, Oberlin, Princeton, UPenn, William and Mary (legacy), Yale

I am at a highly competitive boarding school SAT: 1500+ SAT II's: 3x740+

GPA: (tough courseload)
Sophomore: 3.53 (unweighted) (This was my first year at the school)
Junior: 4.0 (unweighted)
senior: 4.0 (i hope)

EC's: Editor-in-chief of school satire/humor magazine, Editor-in-chief of Residential life yearbook, editor-in-chief/founder of school philosophical opinion magazine, editor/head writer of regional one-sheet mag, dormitory prefect, school ambassador, history department associate, musical (4 years, hopefully leading role), varsity soccer, varsity lacrosse, chamber choir, latin club

some other miscellaneous interesting stuff

very good recs, one from president of the school

excellent, original essays

does anyone have any suggestions about what I could do to make this app stronger? i can probably improve my SATs a bit. GPA worries me bc it was so low last year, but my counselor said he would address that in the school's recommendation.

By Liz (Liz) on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 08:03 pm: Edit

Are you guessing your scores? BTW - don't compliment yourself. It's bad form.

By Liz (Liz) on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 08:04 pm: Edit

Oh, and you've posted this before, I think. Asking about whether your GPA drop would affect your college chances. Something about a horrible roommate, I think.

By gooberpea123 on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 08:10 pm: Edit

i was being completely, utterly sarcastic with the "totally sweet dude" thing... geesh all you kids are so serious!

and yeah, that was me... y'all know me, same old g

By gooberpea123 on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 08:12 pm: Edit

oh, and my scores.. i've scored that high already, but i'm going to aim a little bit higher in retests

By gooberpea123 on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 08:13 pm: Edit

one more thing-it's also bad form to point out the apparent shortcomings of others

By dogboy on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 08:44 pm: Edit

Being a boarding school really helps, like I knew this like crackhead ( a real stupid mothaf##ka ) that got into Yale after going to a boarding school for the last two years of high school. And Again, this kid was like retarded. So, make your own f##cking conclusion a$$wipe.

By gooberpea123 on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 09:04 pm: Edit

haha that post made more sense than any other i've ever read

By Liz (Liz) on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Good point, gooberpea123 :) . I guess I was in kind of a snippy mood. IMO, I think your GPA drop wont matter that much, it's for a good reason. Compete in some local/regional contests, other than that you're great.

By gooberpea123 on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 10:54 pm: Edit

no hard feelings hahaha... thanks for the input liz

By yalechickie on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 11:32 pm: Edit

hey are you good looking? if you are, apply and get into yale so i can meet you...
if you aren't, go to brown. (JK)
sorry i was just curious

By gooberpea123 on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 11:54 pm: Edit

there's no real way to say this without sounding like an ass, but a lot of people think i'm good looking... it's kind of new for me b/c i was a really fat kid lol

what class are you? i would be applying next year, so i would be yale '08

haha i wish it were as easy as saying "there's this girl i want to meet who goes to yale" and they send you the big fat letter because they feel sorry you're such a lovesick dorkus

By jil on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 11:58 pm: Edit

do prettier people have a higher chance of getting accepted to ivies? i mean if they attach a photo obviously, would that separate them from the nerds and make them more human in the admissions process? just wondering...

By yalechickie on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 11:59 pm: Edit

haha that's cool. why are you worrying about it already? jeez. well i am class of 07. if you get in, you will have to tell me. I always wonder if there are any good looking people on this board. I mean the type that are smart and hot. I haven't met any guys where i live so that's why i asked. oh well. If you need advice on college, i would be glad to give you my two cents. take care!!

By gooberpea123 on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 12:07 am: Edit

most of my friends are seniors, and i'm just getting caught up in the college admissions hype, i guess. there were 18 people in the senior class of my school who applied to harvard early and only 1 got in..so i believe that's a sign that you should start early and prepare as much as you can in order to attain something that you really want.

As for Yale, what do you think set apart your app? i was going to stress the satire writing in mine and talk about how i want to write for the yale record. you applied ed, i'm assuming... do you think that made any difference? sorry to barrage you with ?'s, but thank you ;-)

By adrasteia on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 12:15 am: Edit

heh jil i was wonderin that too. I think it would, because empirically, better lookn people are more successful in life (get more promotions, jobs, etc.). Sadly, this world is highly image - driven. 'course admissions officers wouldn't admit someone based on their looks, but it might work to subconsciously influence the officer.
So if you good lookn do it, but if you butt oogly, don't.

I thought i was being smart by not checking the ethnicity box for asian, but then i submitted my photo cuz i'm a ••••••• genius.

By ? on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 12:27 am: Edit

I think better looking people have an easier chance at everything. Honestly. who do you want: a partner that is smart and ok looking, or a partner that is smart and Hot? i dunno

By gooberpea123 on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 12:28 am: Edit

then again, it could always work the other way with looks.. as in an admissions officer sees a good looking kid and thinks 'wow, look at this pampered, rich brat with unspoiled complexion and toned, rippling muscles... i want to key his expensive car and not let him get into my prestigious elite university... i want to string this kid up by his lymph nodes and beat him with a carbureator, etc. etc."

By mit_hopeful on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 05:39 pm: Edit

hey-what's with brown asking for a photo???

By gooberpea123 on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 06:48 pm: Edit

no idea

By Jacobyale06 (Jacobyale06) on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 03:38 am: Edit

yalechickie, are you hot? lol...yale 06 guy here.

Good luck gooberpea!

Goodlooking people might have a better chance...isn't it easier to impress interviewers and such if they're already impressed at first sight? I would like to say that the Ivies are more than skin deep, and they are, but...like a previous poster said, don't good looking people have an easier chance at everything?

I don't know if attaching a photo (unless a school asks for it, like Brown or Georgetown) would help though--that would seem vain and might even provoke the "ew, pampered kid" response you mentioned!

Oh and to answer your question about hot smart ppl, yalechickie, around May/June when new Yalies get access to the online facebook, I think most of them spend hours just "crusing" it for hotties they want to meet...lol

By yalechickie on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 12:23 pm: Edit

Jacobyale06- Lol hey there dude.
Well, I don't know what you are into. If you like dark curly brown hair green eyes and 5'4 past cheerleaders..ya it's me...
Haha. My friends always tease me about picking up guys, but I am not the ditz type.
So to answer your question, and to be kind of blunt, yes I am, But I do have brains as well.
I was thinking about swimming at Yale or cheerleading. I have talked to the swim coach a few times, but it's hard trying to swim and do school. Cheerleading might be more fun... :) I don't know. Tell me about yourself. Are you hot? lol How do you like Yale and which college are you living in? I kind of want to live in Branford. Tell me what you think... :)

By gooberpea123 on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 02:09 am: Edit

since when did people start hooking up on my thread? this is about my chances at yale, people, not your chances at ahem ahem wink wink!

By Burberry (Burberry) on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 03:10 am: Edit

lol wtf

By yalechickie on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 11:24 am: Edit

sorry gooberpea123 lol It's not what you think...
I just wanna find some cool people that go to Yale. lol
That's all.

By your local mayor on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 02:21 pm: Edit

how about you apply to them all. you seem to have your head on straight.

By gooberpea123 on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 10:01 pm: Edit

?

i don't think the position of your head really means much in the long run.

By bump on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 07:39 pm: Edit

bump

By Sofiaprinceton (Sofiaprinceton) on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 05:19 pm: Edit

I don't know if you'll check this again (its old) but go to Princeton FOR sure, out of the ones you mentioned.
(I'm going there - I'm a Brazilian girl living in São Paulo)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page