Johns hopkins, stanford, columbia, cornell

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Johns hopkins, stanford, columbia, cornell
By chunkie on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 07:29 pm: Edit

hey, im done with apps.. but im just wondering my chances at these schools: johns hopkins, stanford, columbia, cornell, harvard, yale, tufts, bu, sophie davis..

number stuff: 1460 sat (660v, 800m) 790 bio-m, 770 math 2c, 730 writing, 800 korean.. 3.8uw gpa.. my school doesnt weigh or rank..

other stuff: math team president, science club vice president, band for five years, jazz band for three years, literary magazine art contributor, newspaper staff writer, columbia university's Science honors program for two years, johns hopkins university's CTY for four years, genetics research at columbia university.. participated in intel (both national and international).. five years of community service at a local hospital.. peer tutoring for three years in all subjects.. have been playing the piano for 13 years.. many recitals.. sent a recording to each school.. various awards in math/sciences

im applying for pre-med.. oh and i was deferred from Brown PLME..

By wa on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 09:08 pm: Edit

are you asian? if youre korean, you have no ••••••• chance.

By ya on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 09:13 pm: Edit

ur in

By Icee on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 09:14 pm: Edit

Wait a sec, so you got involved with a college and their programs and whatnot before being accepted? How did you do this?

By Encourager on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 09:18 pm: Edit

Dude, don't listen to wa. I believe you have a great chance. You have excellent ECs, and your talent in music will obviously improve your chances of being accepted. The only thing I would recommend is to retake the SAT, but... maybe you can't. Anyway, a 660 Verbal is rather low when excellent only means average. Also, you are applying to very prestigious schools.
I'd say you have a shot at yale.

Good Luck

By chunkie on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 10:13 pm: Edit

thanks a lot.. i was actually concerned about my verbal score as well.. but now its too late to retake the sats.. and besides, i dont want to deal with those treacherous tests anymore.. hehe.. thanks so much for your responses.. and hopefully ill get into at least one of those top-tier schools.. good luck to all seniors!

ps: to icee - the programs i mentioned are specifically for high school students.. they are kinda selective.. testing/school transcript and all that stuff..

By adrasteia on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 10:15 pm: Edit

Yeah I think you're in too... Nice stats and EC's.

You really put lit mag contributor? haha no offense, but I don't think that will affect your decision too much, considering that most stuff in lit mag sux azz IMNSHO. (=

By Angry on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 10:18 pm: Edit

So, what is up with all these asians who post their stats so that they can boost their ego/self-confidence? Don't they know that they will get in anyway? I mean, "Chunkie", do you really think you have no chance at the schools you mentioned?! You are either extremely naive or egotistic a$$

By Sad but true on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 12:13 am: Edit

Angry,

Trust me, Asians especially Chinese and Koreans don't have it easy when it comes to college apps. I've met many Asians like Chunkie who've been rejected to the schools he's applied to due to overrepresentation of Chinese and Korean kids.

By impressed on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 01:17 am: Edit

yes, but with chunkie's stats? i think he/she will get into most of the schools mentioned, even if she is korean or chinese.

By Cru (Cru) on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 08:35 am: Edit

You guys are dumb...
It is so competitive for Koreans to get accepted to prestigous schools... I know it, because I'm Korean.

I know this Korean dude who got into Yale last year. He took 12 AP classes in 2 years. And, he got a straight 5 on all 12 test. Perfect, I mean absolutly perfect, all 800's on his SAT. Class rank number one. Amazing EC. He got into Yale Early Decision. For Stanford, you'll pretty much need like a international math olympiad award. Koreans' stats are WAY ABOVE American students' stats. And less than one applicant out of 20 gets accepted: 5% of international applicants are accepted. So, it would be extrmely difficult.

By Jose on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 03:05 pm: Edit

Impressed,

My Chinese valedictorian last year had a perfect resume. 1600, all 800's, all 5's on the AP, number one spot out of 500+ kids. He was also some high member in nearly every club in the school. He got rejected from MIT, Stanford, Harvard, Oxford, and Cambridge. He did get into Princeton (where he currently attends), Yale, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, and Columbia though. Trust me, it does not matter how good you are. Being Chinese will always limit your chances. In fact, some of these schools would rather prefer Chinese kids to be less than perfect.

By chunkie on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 04:23 pm: Edit

yea.. being korean is a disadvantage.. im well aware.. my top choices are stanford and columbia but i think ill get rejected.. from both of them.. pshh.. *i only applied to harvard because of my parents.. if you are korean, you would understand.. those pushy korean parents.. ugh* thanks for your thoughts.. i appreciate it..

By Haiyaa (Haiyaa) on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 04:47 pm: Edit

You don't have to be Korean to understand having demanding parents. :\ You don't even have to be Asian.

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 05:35 pm: Edit

Chunk, don't get so down on yourself. All of your scores are top notch except the verbal, which is still not bad, and I think your writing score will probably make up for it somewhat. You have a shot at every school.

By Adam on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 06:15 pm: Edit

Hmm that's funny, I'm black and I have demanding parents. Trust me, Asian parents are not the only parents that are pushy.

By SmarterChild on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 06:18 pm: Edit

"if you are korean, you would understand.. those pushy korean parents"

Hmm that's funny I'm not Korean and my parents are pushy. It's really funny how so many people think Asian parents are the only pushy ones. My white parents are just as if not stricter than your typical Asian parent. In fact I'd argue that mine are probably even stricter.

By PurpleNW on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 06:24 pm: Edit

All Asian parents are strict. I have two Chinese and one Indian friend. All of whom excel in school. They're parents are so unbelievably strict when it comes to grades, it's scary. I remember one of my friends telling me that back in elementary school, he brought home his first C ever and when his parents found out, they grounded him into dust. In fact, he was still doing some punishment for it until the start of senior year last fall. Scary Asian parents. I wouldn't know, thankfully my parents demand alot out of me but not the Asian way.

By chunkie on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 06:32 pm: Edit

i didnt mean to insult anyone by saying "if youre korean, you would understand..." im sorry if i did though.. i understand all parents are strict and all parents are pushy.. i mean.. they are parents.. argh parents..

my parents are just very strict with grades.. they go insane even when i get a B+ (which is not a bad grade for an accelerated course in my opinion at least) for one quarter from an ap course.. i dont know.. its frustrating..

well if there is anyone else out there with responses for my original post, please share.. thanks a lot guys.

By Peter on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 09:45 pm: Edit

I'm Korean and my parents couldn't care less about my grades. In fact, I come from the domestic violence family. My dad used to beat my mom all the time. They finally split two years ago. My dad is working at some restaraunt (probably getting drunk on his spare time), my mother spends most of her time trying to pick up on new guys or smoking pot. My family is living proof that not all Koreans or other Asians have family/educational values. I still did fairly well in school, 3.5 cum GPA and 1170 on the SAT. I applied to 3 UC's, San Diego, Irvine, and Riverside.

By compassionate on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 09:55 pm: Edit

Peter, are you telling the truth? I never seen any family like that. I can't imagine an asian parent getting high! Man, I feel sorry for you. I hope you get into all three schools listed and any others you applied to. Damn, that's scary people live lives like that!

By Lola on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 03:51 am: Edit

Let's clear some myths that have been running around here okay. First of all, being Chinese or Korean does not make it harder for you to get into college over whites. Obviously Chinese and Korean kids are a not a minority and will be treated as a majority like whites. Ethnicity is only a factor if you are a minority. Granted that many Asians like Chinese and Koreans are smart, they are good enough to be in their own selective applicant pools. If you're a Chinese kid, they will not put you on an applicant pool with other Chinese the same goes if you are Korean or any other Asian. They will put you up against the majority whites.

By bumper on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 11:37 pm: Edit

bumpidy bump

By um...no on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 01:16 am: Edit

lola is right. The rumours flying around that being asian or specifically "korean" will not lower your chances. It's totally BS. Sigh, the reason why you hear these things is b/c you saw ONE asian person who didn't make it in who you thought should've. It's called denial. Wake up, you're only judged differently if you're a URM.

"Trust me, it does not matter how good you are. Being Chinese will always limit your chances. In fact, some of these schools would rather prefer Chinese kids to be less than perfect. "
lame.

By Cru (Cru) on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 10:32 am: Edit

Hey Chunkie...
Pre-med... Right?
DIDd you apply for CALS for Cornell?

By Chunkie on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 05:34 pm: Edit

hey cru, yes i applied for CALS.. i hear CALS is the toughest among Cornell schools because of pre-med kids.. is that true?

By just saying on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 05:54 pm: Edit

I'm not Korean myself but I have loads of Korean friends and I would say 60% have fathers who drink A LOT, and/or have gambling problems, and domestic violence issues. Im not trying to stereotype but based on the group of people I know, Peter your circumstance is not that isolated.

By Cru (Cru) on Friday, January 10, 2003 - 08:20 pm: Edit

Yeah...
I heard that CALS is the toughest to get into...
If you're an outstate student it'll be very hard. If you're an instate student I think you have a very good chance of getting accepted. I also heard that many pre-med kids at CALS are cut-throat... heard that the world load is incredible... Good luck...

By chunkie on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 11:38 am: Edit

yea thanks a lot.. im in-state though... hopefully that helps.. ive heard about its work load and the competitiveness.. which is why cornell is not my first choice school...

By parents ew on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 10:21 pm: Edit

korean parents are strict and demanding. very much so. they may be drunk asses but they are still strict and demanding. and domestic violence is very common in asian families so thats nothing special.

By Homer Not Simpson on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 11:01 pm: Edit

At the expense of possible flaming and being called a racist, I'm going to dispel some myths about Koreans. I live in a community full of Asians predominantly Korean. Most (I'd say 80%) of the Koreans I know are terrible students who are thuggish and raving lunatics. Most of them also associate themselves with each other inside their little cliques. As for domestic violence, I've heard some things to that degree but haven't actually witnessed it myself. The idea that all Koreans are smart is pure rubbish, in fact only a few select are incredibly smart.

By SmarterChild on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 11:03 pm: Edit

Parents Ew,

Korean parents are both drunk asses but demand alot out of their children academically? Hmm odd. BY that logic, there are many white families that do so as well. So I ask, what's so special about Korean parents?

By Cru (Cru) on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 11:13 pm: Edit

You guys wouldn't understand Korean parents unless you actually live in Korea. Korean parents in the U.S. are different. They have changed like U.S. parents.

By suji on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 11:34 pm: Edit

Most (I'd say 80%) of the Koreans I know are terrible students who are thuggish and raving lunatics-HomerNotSimpson

Crackers like you don't understand that America yes your white a$$ country is at the bottom of the list in science/math and Korea well just look at the statistics and you'll see that we are number two. So we're still terrible students? Also, the president of Harvard this year is Korean. Top that!

Chunky, I really admire you although I am only half Korean and sadly yes half white (ugh) I understand how much pressure it is for Koreans esp. w/parents good job I really believe you are gonna get into Stanford K-Pride~!!!!!

By Homer Not Simpson on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 12:12 am: Edit

"Crackers like you don't understand that America yes your white a$$ country is at the bottom of the list in science/math"

Umm okay so instead of attacking the issue, you instead attack my race (yours as well LOL what doofus) and your own country? I guess I can reverse the situation completely and say "Gooks like you don't understand that your Kimchi eating country is a run by bunch of commie lunatics threatening the rest of the world with their nukes. And if you look at the stats, America has highest standard of living in the world."

"and Korea well just look at the statistics and you'll see that we are number two."

Wrong, Korea is up there in education. No doubt about that but Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Germany are still the top the top 5.

"So we're still terrible students?"

Please reread what I said. I didn't say all Koreans are terrible students, I'm simply killing the myth that all Koreans are smart which is not true. Come down to my Southern California town and you'll see what I mean. This is what happens when idiots misinterpret my posts.

"Also, the president of Harvard this year is Korean. Top that!"

Yes and how many white presidents have we had at Harvard compared to Koreans? Top that!

"Chunky, I really admire you although I am only half Korean and sadly yes half white (ugh)"

HAHA so your ashamed of who you are? LOL you're ashamed of being white? Umm okay.

"I understand how much pressure it is for Koreans esp. w/parents good job I really believe you are gonna get into Stanford K-Pride~!!!!! "

LOL let me guess, if I claimed "White Pride" you'd probably accuse me of being a racist. Oh well, white pride!!!!!!!!

By Suji on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 12:59 am: Edit

"guess I can reverse the situation completely and say "Gooks like you don't understand that your Kimchi eating country is a run by bunch of commie lunatics threatening the rest of the world with their nukes"

Get your facts straight this just shows how stupid you are. We are talking about South Korea here not North Korea. South Korea does not have nukes and is not a communist state. It should be assumed that we are talking about South Korea
since there is an insignificant amount of North Koreans outside of North Korea. I wonder if you even knew that yes there are two seperate countries: North Korea and South Korea. Shows how much you crackers know about world issues haha how stupid you thought that South Korea has nukes and it is a Communist state? LAUGHING OUT LOUD

"Most (I'd say 80%) of the Koreans I know are terrible students who are thuggish and raving lunatics"

Most? THAT IS ATTACKING KOREANS

"Wrong, Korea is up there in education. No doubt about that but Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Germany are still the top the top 5."

If you read my post correctly you would know that I said math/science and yes S.Korea is way ahead the U.S in that area. If you want to talk about education on the whole still S.Korea is ahead of the U.S

"HAHA so your ashamed of who you are? LOL you're ashamed of being white? Umm okay"

Hell ya I am ashamed of being white the U.S is hated by countries all over the world including its allies such as the U.K. Even the U.K thinks the U.S is filled with arrogant bltches who think they are better than every other country. The U.S is far from being a civilized country.

"Yes and how many white presidents have we had at Harvard compared to Koreans? Top that!"

I don't know or care to look up the history of Harvard presidents but as of today I think its sad that other countries are beating crackers even within America

"LOL let me guess, if I claimed "White Pride" you'd probably accuse me of being a racist. Oh well, white pride!!!!!!!!"

You didn't have to say that in order to make me think that you are an arrogant, racist ••••

By Suji on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 01:02 am: Edit

P.S look at Bush he represents your country. Whenever I look at him all I think is stupid, stupid, and yes again stupid. If that stupid cracker represents your country I guess the U.S is filled with stupid crackers

By Homer Not Simpson on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 01:46 am: Edit

"Get your facts straight this just shows how stupid you are. We are talking about South Korea here not North Korea. South Korea does not have nukes and is not a communist state. It should be assumed that we are talking about South Korea
since there is an insignificant amount of North Koreans outside of North Korea. I wonder if you even knew that yes there are two seperate countries: North Korea and South Korea. Shows how much you crackers know about world issues haha how stupid you thought that South Korea has nukes and it is a Communist state? LAUGHING OUT LOUD"

First of all, I know North Korea and South Korea are two different countries. That fact is irrelevant because both countries are Korean am I wrong about that? It does not matter whether it is South or North because in the end you are still Korean and what your idiot brothers in the North are doing is damaging Korean reputation everywhere.

"Most? THAT IS ATTACKING KOREANS "

How so? This is based on my personal experience. If you met some of the Koreans I know, you'd feel that way as well. Quit confusing objectivity with subjectivity.

"If you read my post correctly you would know that I said math/science"

Actually you claimed that S. Korea is number two when the truth of the matter is they are not even top 5. Top 10 yes, but not top 5 and definitely not number two and that was what I was pointing out.

"and yes S.Korea is way ahead the U.S in that area."

Yes and which country is ahead economically, militarily, and living of standard per person?

"If you want to talk about education on the whole still S.Korea is ahead of the U.S"

Well if you feel that you can get a better education in South Korea then move to S. Korea.

"Hell ya I am ashamed of being white the U.S is hated by countries all over the world including its allies such as the U.K. Even the U.K thinks the U.S is filled with arrogant bltches who think they are better than every other country. The U.S is far from being a civilized country. "

One word, jealousy.

"I don't know or care to look up the history of Harvard presidents"

Yet you were the one who mentioned the topic in the first place.

"but as of today I think its sad that other countries are beating crackers even within America."

Wrong, the whole Asian model minority idea is nothing more than a myth. The top white students in America still outperform the Chinese or Korean or whatever. Take a look at the Ivy Leagues, Stanford or MIT. Who's the majority of population there? Just some fun information for you. BTW the majority of the Asians who come here already come with wealth. These Asians don't represent the average, ideal Asian. Look at the big picture, other than Japan the majority of Asia is dirt poor. Nations with whites (North America, Europe, Australia etc.) are more prosperous.

"You didn't have to say that in order to make me think that you are an arrogant, racist."

Racist? Moi?

"P.S look at Bush he represents your country."

Do you live in America? If so then guess what he also represents your country as well :-)

"Whenever I look at him all I think is stupid, stupid, and yes again stupid."

And guys like Kim Jong are any better?

"If that stupid cracker represents your country I guess the U.S is filled with stupid crackers"

Hmm that's funny, most Asians love this country. In fact, they'd rather be living in a country full of crackers than their own native homeland. Why are so Asian immigrants trying to horde over here? Look if you hate the USA so much, then go back to Korea. Seriously, I can't stand ungrateful minorities like yourself who keep talking about how terrible the USA is and how great their native homeland is yet they live here. Ironic isn't it?

By Cru (Cru) on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 04:46 am: Edit

Ok...
"Homer not Simpson" you are just so dumb...

"Yes and which country is ahead economically, militarily, and living of standard per person?"

So what... If you guys are strong in economics try to stay strong. Just because the U.S. economy is crashing the economies in other countries are crashing as well. And, thousands of people are also getting unemployed. For military? You guys are embarrassment. A stupid U.S. armored vehicle(pretty much a tank) ran over two innocent Korean middle school students in June. And it took U.S. for freeking 5 months to appologize. It was stupid too. Bush appologized on the phone. Living standard per person? duh... Look at America... You guys claimed most of your land by simply walking through some hills to the west. Yu guys gained land by just destroying all those indians community. Korea fought against Chinese and Japanese for thousands of years to just protect the country. By the way, U.S. doesn't even have a history. All you learn in the history class is like what.... Great depression, World war 1,2 , and the independance... That's pretty much all. You guys learn the same thing you learned in middle shcool. Korea has 5000 years of history. Who's your ancestor? can't answer can ya? Most americans don't know about their root...

"Well if you feel that you can get a better education in South Korea then move to S. Korea."
Duh... people come to U.S. because it is so much
competitive in Korea. High school in Korea ends like 10:00 PM. What about U.S? uh... 2 PM. most high school seniors in Korea study till 3:00AM to go to college. This year, jungang medical university picked one out of 80 applicants for early decision. Can you now know how competitive it is? Honestly, I believe getting into U.S. school is much much much easier than getting into Korean schools. And, that's exactly why most Koreans go to U.S. Since Korea is overpopulated it is extremely hard to get a job even if you graduate from the best university. That's why Koreans go to U.S. Because it is easier to go to school and get a job.

"Take a look at the Ivy Leagues, Stanford or MIT. Who's the majority of population there?"
Duh... It's america~~~~ I believe there are much more white than asians in the country itself. idiot.

"other than Japan the majority of Asia is dirt poor."
This is exactly why americans don't know about the world. Korea is very close to Japan. Korea living standard is pretty much equivalent to that of Japan. U.S. likes to disparage the asian community. Just look at the hollywood videos. Just because of those videos talk about whole bunch of stupid stuff, like Chinese always doing martial arts, or Chinese with weird accents, you have acutally defined a race into a certain form. Japane pretty much always look nice on the videos. What you don't know is that, Korea rivals in Japan in both living standard and economy. Dummy...

"And guys like Kim Jong are any better? "
Duh... That't North Korea. idiot...

By SuJi on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 06:28 am: Edit

"Take a look at the Ivy Leagues, Stanford or MIT. Who's the majority of population there?"

As for Stanford the majority is Asians. Harvard and all the iv leagues would be overcrowded with asians if they didn't put a limit to how many asians can come in.

"And guys like Kim Jong are any better?"

YOU ARE SO •••••• STUPID KIM JONG IL IS THE PRESIDENT OF NORTH KOREA not SOUTH KOREA

AND SOUTH KOREANS ARE NOT THE SAME AS NORTH KOREANS WE ARE TWO SEPARATE COUNTRIES you are sooo stupid to talk of Koreans in the U.S it is assumed to be South Koreans WHY? because I can count the number of North Koreans in the U.S with one hand.

Just because your country has a good standard of living does not mean you guys are smart. By talking about standard of living we are not talking about intelligence. The U.S is rich for only two reasons tax and the land you stole from the Indians. If we Koreans had that amount of land we would prosper far beyond the U.S

As to why Koreans go to the U.S? The U.S is full of dufuses that are sooo easy to beat,also there is a bunch of land so prices are cheap for land

Your military power? Well that's just sad yeah your military has the power to kill two middle school girls and not give a SH!T.

"Yes and which country is ahead economically, militarily, and living of standard per person?"

Your country takes money from the individuals and hand it out for public living standards, military, and privater enterprise. As individuals I've seen white folks shake as they handover a 20 dollar bill at a cash register. As individuals Koreans are really rich and I am not lying. People who own apartments in Korea can sell these aparments and by mansions in Hawaii. I've seen it with my own two eyes. Right now I live in an apartment in Korea. <--Yes South Bozo I couldn't even be talking to you if I were in the North. Anywaze I live in an apartment. My family owns a beamer and we have no economic troubles. Our apartment worth is 800,000 U.S dollars.
Yeah land cost a heck of a lot in South Korea. That's prolly the main reason why Koreans go to the U.S Koreans who live normal lives in apartments here can afford luxurious lives in the U.S since it is so dayam cheap in the U.S. South Koreas government may be poor since it does not charge any tax whatsoever but as individuals we are very very rich. The problem is that so many people here are rich that's why we go over to the U.S where people are less fortunate and poor. It's so easy to overpass you Americans in your own country. (haha my white ass grandma was shaking as she handed over a 5 dollar bill to me for my birthday now that is sad on the other hand my Korean uncle gives my mother 1000 dollars everytime we go to visit him. He, a doctor is the only cardiologist in the county of Jasper. There is not even one other cardiologist in this county surpassing all the other white people acting as his servants.)

"Well if you feel that you can get a better education in South Korea then move to S. Korea."

I am in South Korea but I will move to the U.S since its so damn cheap there and I'll be surpassing all of you white folks

I'm only saying white americans are terrible and think they are superior over other people even other americans such as the african americans.

By Suji on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 06:49 am: Edit

calling me a gook does not really offend me at all haha I am a gook in fact Gook was only a nickname for Koreans because the official title of Koreans is HanGOOKin so call me a gook all you want cause its not as bad as being white trash

Reminds me of trailer trash how come all these white people in the states live in trailers? In Korea trailers are unheard of there is no such thing in Korea. Esp when the U.S's land is so cheap why do people have to live in trailers...hmmmm...is it because all the Asians go there and take all the land I guess so since we are so rich, as individuals. Actually the only thing that matters is individuals unless you are a communist trying to work for the whole. I don't live my life for other people and just because my country doesn't have the power to nuke your country does not mean that I don't have the power to beat you as an individual. I live my life for myself not my country.

By 21st Century Digital Boy on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 03:14 pm: Edit

"Just because of those videos talk about whole bunch of stupid stuff, like Chinese always doing martial arts, or Chinese with weird accents, you have acutally defined a race into a certain form."

Not to intrude on your guys little debate but most it's the choice of Chinese celebrities to to do martial arts. It's not as if the American media forces them. Besides, I don't think it's stupid, I've always enjoyed Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, and Jet Li movies.

"Japane pretty much always look nice on the videos."

Because Japan is that nice LOL!

"What you don't know is that, Korea rivals in Japan in both living standard and economy. Dummy..."

I've also visited South Korea last summer for the world cup. It's extremely nice. However, it's not quite up there with Japan yet. As for the idiot claiming most of Asia is dirt poor. That maybe true for now, but countries like China and India are developing pretty quickly. China for manufacturing products, India for software. Other Asian economies that can rival Japan are Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore. Hong Kong before 1997 had a higher annual income per person than the U.S. and it still has the most luxury cars per person. Singapore is actually the nicest place I've visited in all of Asia. If you think Japan is clean, picture that times 10!!!!!!

By 21st Century Digital Boy on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 03:23 pm: Edit

"Just because of those videos talk about whole bunch of stupid stuff, like Chinese always doing martial arts, or Chinese with weird accents"

BTW, Chinese aren't the only Asians with weird accents. Just a fun fact to take into consideration :-)

By chunkie on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 06:04 pm: Edit

wow this has turned into a racial debate.. i dont mind.. couple things though.. korean economy does rival japan.. north korea is a completely different/separate country.. us army - as it was brought up earlier - doesnt give a •••• about killing two innocent school girls.. i know its not very well known in the states, but the army has a bad reputation of sexually abusing women, constantly breaking korean laws, and being uncivil (and i mean very uncivil) to the local civilians.. and korean education especially in math and sceicnes is far better than american education.. i swear my math skills have been completely destroyed (and GONE) in the past four years ive spent in US..

going back to my original post, thanks everyone for your thoughts, and good luck to any seniors out there...

By 21st Century Digital Boy on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 08:24 pm: Edit

To all the Koreans on this board,

Word of advice just ignore this idiot known as Homer Not Simpson. He's obviously here for no other reason than to get under your skin. He's also trying to start a war between the whites and Asians. Also Suji, can I ask you to please not give everyone the impression that all Asians here are rich? That's not true either. Besides, I don't think anyone here is actually naive enough to believe that.

By Homer Not Simpson on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 09:09 pm: Edit

LOL I love pissing people off:

"Yu guys gained land by just destroying all those indians community."

BLAH BLAH BLAH well if America sucks so bad, then why are you here? If the idea that the white guys stole this land from Indians then you shouldn't be standing on American soil.

"Korea fought against Chinese and Japanese for thousands of years to just protect"

Good for the Koreans.

"By the way, U.S. doesn't even have a history."

Hmm really? So the Civil War, the Revolutionary War, World War 1, World War 2, The Declaration of Indepedence, Emancipation Proclaimation, Pearl Harbor Attack, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, John F. Kennedy, etc. all of whom as historical figures/events in American history are now non-existent? Interesting.

"All you learn in the history class is like what.... Great depression, World war 1,2 , and the independance..."

Which consitutes as history. LOL like contradicting yourself.

"Korea has 5000 years of history."

And the funny thing is nobody knows about it. Americans tend to be more infatuated by Chinese and Japanese history/cultures.

"Who's your ancestor?"

I descended from Irish immigrants who immigrated here in the early 20th century. I refuse to go into any more detail about it but I do know my genealogy quite well. BTW it's much easier to trace your ancestry if your history is younger. If you know so much about your own ancestry, why don't you tell me where your great great great great great great great great grandparents were 5000 years ago in Korea?

"Duh... people come to U.S. because it is so much
competitive in Korea. High school in Korea ends like 10:00 PM. What about U.S? uh... 2 PM. most high school seniors in Korea study till 3:00AM to go to college. This year, jungang medical university picked one out of 80 applicants for early decision. Can you now know how competitive it is? Honestly, I believe getting into U.S. school is much much much easier than getting into Korean schools. And, that's exactly why most Koreans go to U.S. Since Korea is overpopulated it is extremely hard to get a job even if you graduate from the best university. That's why Koreans go to U.S. Because it is easier to go to school and get a job. "

Thank you for that entire rant, however that was not my point. If my Suji here is so anti- US and Pro- Korea, it would only make sense for him to go back to the land in where he loves right? You wouldn't ever see me go to Ireland talking about how horrible it is and how great the U.S. is.

"This is exactly why americans don't know about the world."

Speak for yourself.

"Korea is very close to Japan. Korea living standard is pretty much equivalent to that of Japan."

HAHA you wish, Japan's GNP is nearly 6 times that of Korea's. Also, Japanese electronics and auto industry is numero uno.

"Just look at the hollywood videos. Just because of those videos talk about whole bunch of stupid stuff, like Chinese always doing martial arts, or Chinese with weird accents, you have acutally defined a race into a certain form."

Oh so now you're bagging on your fellow Asians the Chinese? And you're calling me racist? I'm surprised no Chinese person here has commented on such a racist attack. For starters, I've never said Asians are a homogeneous group of people who are all alike. I know not all Chinese people speak with weird accents and practice martial arts. In fact, it's quite hypocritical for you to insult them like that. I know many Koreans who's parents also speak bad English and many Koreans practicing Tae- Kwon Do. Like eating your own words eh? Well I can also say that Hollywood videos also portray Koreans as paranoid grocery store runners who get picked on by gang bangers which is also a negative image for Asians.

"Duh... That't North Korea. idiot... "

Which is still a country full of Koreans therefore linking you with them.

"As for Stanford the majority is Asians. Harvard and all the iv leagues would be overcrowded with asians if they didn't put a limit to how many asians can come in."

Still overall, Asians actually perform lower than the top whites.

"Just because your country has a good standard of living does not mean you guys are smart. By talking about standard of living we are not talking about intelligence. The U.S is rich for only two reasons tax and the land you stole from the Indians. If we Koreans had that amount of land we would prosper far beyond the U.S"

No comment, actually I do HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA HA HA. As long as there are Korean commies like Kim Jong, that could never happen.

Please you act as if all Koreans are rich. The majority of Korean Americans I know are actually pretty low on the economic scale either upper lower-lower middle class.

"I am in South Korea but I will move to the U.S since its so damn cheap there and I'll be surpassing all of you white folks."

Surpass what? You think because of few Koreans go to school and get their degrees, they're surpassing White Americans? LOL for every Asian person succeeding, there is about 50 white guys doing the same. Your idea of surpassing us is a flawed and delusional one.

"calling me a gook does not really offend me at all haha I am a gook in fact Gook was only a nickname for Koreans because the official title of Koreans is HanGOOKin so call me a gook all you want cause its not as bad as being white trash"

Oh typical insult from a non-white person. First of all, I don't ever remember intentionally calling you a gook. You obviously misinterpreted my message. Secondly, I didn't know white trash kids are number one student in a class full of Koreans.

"Reminds me of trailer trash how come all these white people in the states live in trailers?"

The U.S. is large nation with the majority whites. Of course there is going to be a poor underachieving class. And btw this underachieving class also includes many Asians. Can I ask how come so many Koreans in North Korea starve to death? Also How come so many Koreans in the U.S. live in crowded urban apartments? Go to LA's Koreatown and you'll see what I mean.

" In Korea trailers are unheard of there is no such thing in Korea."

RIIIGHT.

" Esp when the U.S's land is so cheap why do people have to live in trailers...hmmmm..."

Read the above statement.

"is it because all the Asians go there and take all the land I guess so since we are so rich, as individuals. "

Again your whole pressing for the model minority is doing nothing more than damaging your rep. It may seem all fine and dandy but believe you me, this concept is a myth. If you think all Asians are rich then you are obviously one delusional son of a gun.

"As for the idiot claiming most of Asia is dirt poor. That maybe true for now, but countries like China and India are developing pretty quickly. "

But it's still dirt poor which was my whole point. So to all the overpriviledged Asians out there who think they are superior to the white man. Compare Asia to the white dominated societies like America, Europe, Australia and you'll see what I mean.

By SuJiQ on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 08:32 am: Edit

Must I remind your dumba$$ that N.K is not S.K and we are two SEPARATE countries. You're the evidence that evolution is not true. haha. you read it once and you soon forget. S.Ks aren't commies and to speak of Koreans it is assumed to be S.Ks since there is an INSIGNIFICANT AMOUNT (THAT I CAN COUNT ON ONE HAND) of N.Ks outside of their isolated little country. We may all be Koreans but we are two different nations and people. Yeah they're starving but that has nothing to do with South Korea. Yeah they're poor again,that is not South Korea. Yeah they are commies and again that doesn't mean we South Koreans are commies. Get that in your head is it that hard? we aren't talking rocket science here.

Haha the U.S has a bunch of people.is that your excuse for the millions of trailer (white) trash out there? well all I have to say again that yes if you come to Korea you will not see a single trailer.

Haha you assumed that I was a guy since I'm sooo strong well guess what? a girl is dissin' you out!!

"Thank you for that entire rant, however that was not my point. If my Suji here is so anti- US and Pro- Korea, it would only make sense for him to go back to the land in where he loves right? You wouldn't ever see me go to Ireland talking about how horrible it is and how great the U.S. is. "

That wasn't my so called "entire rant" and didn't I already tell you twice that I am in S.Korea?hmm that I will go to the states to live because land is cheap there? is it that hard to get in your head? dayum you are the PERFECT example for white stupidity hahahahahahahah LOL

P.S you need to read my posts carefully again N.K and S.K are two separate countries.

By xaphan on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

so much ••••••••.. so little time.

By Jim Reynolds on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 09:27 pm: Edit

LOL this thread is too funny. Come on guys, keep it coming. I like this kinda entertainment.

By Cru (Cru) on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Jim Reynolds...
Why don't you post your opinions...
I got kinda tired of posting mine...
I'm sure that others are too.

By Cru (Cru) on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Jim Reynolds...
Why don't you post your opinions...
I got kinda tired of posting mine...
I'm sure that others are too.

By Jim Reynolds on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 10:45 pm: Edit

Cru,

And interrupt your little war? Okay fine, anyways I think this whole thing is silly. Let's get a few things straight:

A. Alotta Koreans are smart, alot aren't.
B. America isn't such a bad place.
C. South Korea's education is higher than the U.S. but so is pretty much every other Asian country (China, Taiwan, Japan, Hong Kong, etc.)
D. Alot of Asians are rich, alot of them aren't.
E. This post is one of the funniest things I've ever read.
F. I think you guys should keep it going. Tell you what, I'm gonna pretend to be Homer. "Koreans suck" said Homer. C'mon guys more blood and war please :-)

By Cru (Cru) on Monday, January 13, 2003 - 11:17 pm: Edit

We need more people to continue this war...

By SuJi on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 02:37 am: Edit

Homer Simpson matches your title LOL!!Backing out eh???

Jim Reynolds: At least someone accepts the fact that Asia's education is far better that the U.S

The war is over cause Mr. Cracker jack has no defense. I guess its because he keeps on making mistakes (more stupidity)

2allotha races I have no prob against you unless you are white (and think you are superior to other races)(in some cases without the parenthesis)<---goes both ways

By Cru (Cru) on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 03:44 am: Edit

Homer Not Simpson Lose
other races Win

By AzN_Cowboy on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 10:10 pm: Edit

America is like a magnet for the most elite, educated persons in the world. The most intelligent Chinese students who graduate from colleges such as QingHua and BeiDa (The two most prominent Universities in the entire Chinese nation) come to America in search of job opportunities. Believe me, most urban Chinese kids are far superior to White American Children in Academics. This, however, is not what makes a nation successful. America's open-market is what brings America success. Countries like Korea, China, or Vietnam have a hard time switching to a capitalist system due to their extensive history. America had a fresh start. No centuries of blood-shed, dynasties, and emperors. I do not expect you (Homer) to understand our culture. I merely ask you to be more acceptant of it and realize that both races are superior in certain ways. We surpass you academically. You surpass us idealistically. :)

By jack on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 04:39 pm: Edit

chances at Princeton, Harvard, Stanford, berkeley, UCLA, U Chicago, Northwestern, Brown, Cornell, Columbia, Duke, NYU, BU, UC San Diego?
SATI: 800M/720V
SATII: 800 math IIC,720 writ, 770 phys
GPA: 3.63 UW, 9 APs: US hist, stats, english writing, macro econ, micro econ english lit, comp sci A, calc AB, phys; other advanced courses
out of country: London, Eng. (American citizen)
good ecs: pres. of 2 clubs, involved in 4 others (community service), 500+ hrs community service, math team (numerous awards)
sports: track & field (3 yrs), swimming (1 yr)
play guitar, piano, have played trumpet

By Cru (Cru) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 08:47 pm: Edit

For god sake... Jack...
You posted this somewhere else too...
What is this?
a double post?
triple?
quadruple?

By chang on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 10:15 pm: Edit

Facts:
1. The average korean IQ is higher than that of the usa.
2. The average taiwanese IQ is higher than that of the usa.
3. The average chinese IQ is higher than that of the usa.
4. The average japanese IQ is higher than that of the usa.
5. Asians will always stand above you white mother fuckers.

By LOL on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 11:44 pm: Edit

Chang,

You can also add Indian and Singaporean (Which is technically Chinese).

By no one on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 11:53 pm: Edit

Racism is the only thing that does not discriminate.

Chang, you should get together with the white hooded folks and the Black Panthers.

By chunkie on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 12:23 am: Edit

i think we have enough racist/AA/discriminating posts here on this board.. so if its possible, can we go back to my original post.. yale interview is coming up soon *tufts interview was today.. and harvard was like a week ago*... so im just a bit stressed out right now...

By sico puto on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 01:56 am: Edit

Suji

P.S look at Bush he represents your country. Whenever I look at him all I think is stupid, stupid, and yes again stupid. If that stupid cracker represents your country I guess the U.S is filled with stupid crackers

Well then if you're half korean get half ur of ass outta here. im not american, but im a mexican and a resident here. i will not be a hypocrit and talk •••• about this country. this country has done much for me. and i will not let some dumbass like you try to talk all high and mighty about urself and talk down to america.

by the way homer said: Most (I'd say 80%) of the Koreans I know are terrible students who are thuggish and raving lunatics-HomerNotSimpson

read it closely again you faggot. he says of the koreans HE knows. the ones HE has contact with. you know like the thug asians that are more familiar in california. there arent much here in tx.

and who cares if youre apartment costs $800,000. you're the dumbass paying that much money for an apartment. not even a condo will cost that much. what a moron

By SmarterChild on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 12:35 pm: Edit

Chang,

Although I don't doubt your claims, white people still make up the majority of this nation therefore the larger the more population the more diversity (when I mean diversity, I mean both sides of the coin, good or bad). Since Asians are much fewer and these Asian Americans tend to be the more hard working ones, it would explain their success. If we decided to horde over much more less fortunate Asians I.E. Mainland Chinese from the Western regions in China, North Koreans (that is if Kim Jong allowed us lol), or lower caste Indians, you'd see much less successful Asians over here. The Asian American population do not represent the typical Asian in this world, in fact the ones here are perhaps the most fortunate ones. Also Suji, if you actually read Homer's post clearly and not let your emotions get to you, you'd realize he was not at all insulting all Koreans. He was simply dispelling the myth that all Koreans are smart based on his experience with the Koreans he's come in contact with. I also know quite a few dumb Koreans, are you going to call me racist as well? LOL.

By Chang on Friday, January 17, 2003 - 08:34 pm: Edit

The IQ's are not of Asian Amercians... They are of the people living in those specific countries, such as China. Therefore the average Chinese IQ also gets "both sides of the coin". Yes, despite the poverty, the average IQ of the people in the country of China have higher IQ's than that of the people in the US. The same goes for Korea, Japan, Taiwan, and China.

These are all facts. Research has been done. If you want more information, please refer to Richard J. Herrnstein's "The Bell Curve" (1994).

By ok on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 03:25 pm: Edit

ok being asian/indian doesnt lower your chances but u have the same chance as whites and not higher like other minorities because of how many are already in top colleges based on their own merit. they are stil minorities. i myself am indian so ive got nothing against any minoriteis but the fact is that they're still minorities & their (as a whole) academic brilliance raises the bar for all asians and indians.

By Camilla on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 03:39 pm: Edit

Um...the current president of Harvard is Lawrence H. Summers, who is a Jewish Caucasian, not a Korean.

I am not trying to get involved in this very racially-charged argument, but I thought I had better clear up this (very bizarre) point of contention.

By korean on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 01:05 am: Edit

current student body president = korean

By SmarterChild on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 04:03 am: Edit

Chang,

Point well taken but I'd much rather be a mediocre or even a below average person in a wealthy society than an intellectual in a poorer one excuse my patriotism. Hard to use your abilities when you're restrained from doing so. Also you claim that Asians always stand above whites. Funny how most predominantly white societies do better than most Asian run societies. Not that I think whites are superior but I'm just pointing out a few fun facts. Also last time I checked Harvard's president was a white. Maybe it's a Korean now, who knows? Who cares? What exactly is your point by mentioning it? The Chancellor at UC Berkeley was Chinese. Does that prove that all Chinese in the UC's or in general are smarter than whites? Heck no.

By AzN_Cowboy on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 10:14 pm: Edit

"...We [Asians] surpass you [Whites] academically. You surpass us idealistically..." :)

By me on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 12:50 am: Edit

o.0 I am Asian as well, and I understand completely on the whole "strict parents" part and about "hardworking". Many of my Asian friends work their butts off getting good grades and the whole nine yards. But I have "non Asian" friends who also are elite students, also ranked one, also working their butts off. Although I think most asian students work hard in school, doesn't mean you should judge everyone else. Does it matter what color skin you have? Many of the people I know, whether Asian or not, are still prodigy students.

By oldperson on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 01:08 am: Edit

I've read this entire thread, and all I can say is that I have been under the mistaken impression that your generation is less racist than previous ones. Wow. This is depressing. I'm the white parent of a daughter who has had a Chinese-American boyfriend (I guess we won't discuss how he lost his childhood to the pursuit of the Ivy League dreams of his parents); she's in the gospel choir; she befriends the international students at her school; and she's teaching herself Korean. She's going to be really shocked and sad to see how much racism is out there...and I know that reading these postings is about the most depressing thing I've seen with the exception of continuing reports of hatred and violence all over the world. I wonder how you all have become so full of hate. I think I'll go look at some of the other college information now and leave you to your diatribes.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page