WHAT ARE THE BEST EC'S??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: WHAT ARE THE BEST EC'S??
By College18765 (College18765) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 11:36 pm: Edit

WHAT ARE THE BEST EC'S??

By Marinakitchen (Marinakitchen) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

posting on collegeconfidential.com. Its not just community service, its national service.

By Everet (Everet) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 11:56 pm: Edit

Well one really can't say what ECs are the best...It really depends how much you're involved in the activity. I mean anybody can be in good ECs but if you're only brushing the surface it won't do.

I would recommend Junior Statesmen of America (JSA). It's a student run organization that puts emphasis on political awareness through debates/thought talks and activities.

But I don't know your interest. Are you poltically interested? or more community service orientated?

By Aceofspade (Aceofspade) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 01:48 pm: Edit

Hands down EAGLE SCOUT

By Emilyp114 (Emilyp114) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 01:53 pm: Edit

The 'best' E/C's are those which interest you. It amazes me how many kids join things just to put it on their resume. It's crazy. Get involved in something you actually enjoy!

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 02:25 pm: Edit

Sorry Aceofspade. Not Eagle scout. Emilyp114 is right on the dot - colleges see right through you, and they can tell if you're passionate about something. Do whatever you love, and do it WELL.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

The best ECs are the ones that you do out of genuine interest and that you pursue with creativity, depth and passion. The best way to find a good EC is to pursue your own interests, including blazing new paths in order to follow your interests. The worst way to choose an EC is by trying to discern what will most impress a college.

By Wo4567 (Wo4567) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 06:04 pm: Edit

violin since very young... I do not have extraordinary talent but I teach violin and viola which I absolutely love to do. I also love to sing. I hope Harvard wants a valedictorian with a passion for music...

By Wrinklefiber (Wrinklefiber) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Found something. A club. But a real club, not one that is quite obviously a ploy for college applications. So, political organizations are good, but you would have to be careful on the more touchy-feely (for lack of a better term) clubs (for example, and no offense to anyone here that runs one, a club meant to "promote unity through diversity" on campus. Unless you have something to back it up, it just sounds "off."). But, if you are passionate about unity through diversity, and your campus needs it, and there is actually something you can do besides hold biweekly meetings with refreshments and whimper to administration ever once in a while, go for it.

If you like weird, somewhat offbeat stuff that sticks out, do that then. I founded a croquet club at my school. If, by any chance, you aren't one of the multitudes who blindly despise and disparage croquet, then drop me a line and I can send you some stuff.

Ha ha, some advertisement rolled in, but I hope this helps.

By Reba616 (Reba616) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

Of more generic ones, I've heard that being on the Debate Team helps a lot. Political activity is good also.

I would say do something that stands out, founding something is a good one. I founded a recycling program at school and am soon going to start a drive to register my classmates to vote.

Best of luck!

By Bobby443 (Bobby443) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

in my very biased opinion, being editor of the news paper

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 12:55 pm: Edit

The best EC's are the ones that involve Olympic gold medals, Nobel prizes, and eliminating hunger in a Third World country.
Keep in mind though, some colleges see Nobel prizes as academic, not EC. So if that's all you have, you'd better start working on the other two.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 02:21 pm: Edit

I have to amend my earlier comments on this subject. The best ECs are ones that help a student develop the skills and insights to become an adult who can live a fulfilling, ethical life while making the world a better place.

This is why students who select and do ECs to impress colleges are missing the point. One's h.s. years may be the best time in one's life to develop one's strengths and talents and to explore various paths that may be interesting and fulfilling. If you do ECs only to impress others, you are missing an enormous opportunity to become the best you that you are capable of being.

By Peacemakeriv (Peacemakeriv) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 02:24 pm: Edit

science fair!!!!!!

By Brenner87 (Brenner87) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Motion seconded on EAGLE SCOUT!!

By Bigman82085 (Bigman82085) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 04:41 pm: Edit

Varsity sports. They show diversity in interest along with a strong dedication and work ethic.

By Fallentear04 (Fallentear04) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

What if I only have a silver medal in the Olympics???

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

What if I found the cure to cancer?

By Ay_Caramba (Ay_Caramba) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 05:59 pm: Edit

EAGLE SCOUT!!! trustworthy loyal helpful friendly courteous kind obedient cheerful thrifty brave clean and reverent!!! nobody beats that

but yeah do what you love and be good at it too

By Marestar20 (Marestar20) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 05:59 pm: Edit

Only if it's all the types of cancer, not just for a couple.

By Mjl86 (Mjl86) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

Volunteering at the hospital? Playing the piano?

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 06:24 pm: Edit

Off topic but FYI (got this from the papers), the sperm count of the average male has reduced by 29% since 1989. This has been attributed to changes in lifestyle including drugs, obesity and smoking.

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 06:53 pm: Edit

my school doesnt have a debate team, is there a way to start one?

By Itempest (Itempest) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 08:09 pm: Edit

celebrian: that's a question better directed toward your school administration.

By Shanbangs (Shanbangs) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 08:15 pm: Edit

SECOND JSA

By Nyu2010 (Nyu2010) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Forensics fo sho'.

Followed by my own International Cooking Club. "Each week a new concoction from somewhere you want to visit, but can't!"

By Aceofspade (Aceofspade) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 10:11 pm: Edit

ok my dad is an admissions officier for Stanford and eagle scout stands out like a hot blonde in iraq because it shows extreme amount of dedication, leadership and it shows u have talents besides the 100 million people who play the violin and shows more dedication than jsa because at most schools u can sign up for jsa in some random line during lunch. Voluenteering at a hospital is inferior because it is very unofficial and u can bullshlt the amount of hours and stuff like that.. and in order to advance in rank in boy scouts u have to do volunteer work. all college admissions people know that u have to love scouts because it takes on average 4-6 years getting your eagle

By Acennace (Acennace) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:36 am: Edit

Hmm...
For me, it's the Comedy Club...
Extreme FUN... n I don't care how the admission ppl see about it, but I love it. I love the fact that I can make people and myself laugh at my own jokes and mistakes.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 10:20 am: Edit

Acenance:
Just in case you fear that having a strong interest like Comedy Club would prevent your entering a top school like Harvard, here's an excerpt from comedian Conan O'brien's recent speech at Harvard, his alma mater.

And Conan isn't the only Harvard-educated person in the comedy field. Al Franken and James Brown (who MCs "America's Funniest Videos") also are Harvard grads.

Harvard also has at least one student-run humor magazine.

""It's particularly sweet for me to be here today because when I graduated, I wanted very badly to be a Class Day Speaker. Unfortunately, my speech was rejected. So, if you'll indulge me, I'd like to read a portion of that speech from fifteen years ago:

"'Fellow students, as we sit here today listening to that classic Ah-ha tune which will definitely stand the test of time, I would like to make several predictions about what the future will hold: "'I believe that one day a simple Governor from a small Southern state will rise to the highest office in the land. He will lack political skill, but will lead on the sheer strength of his moral authority.

"'I believe that Justice will prevail and, one day, the Berlin Wall will crumble, uniting East and West Berlin forever under Communist rule...."

By Acennace (Acennace) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 10:34 am: Edit

Hahaha... certainly a nice graduation speech...
I feel good being in comedy club, coz it's just pure entertainment...

By Peacemakerii (Peacemakerii) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 12:31 pm: Edit

Northstarmom is EDITED

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page