Chances of admission at hard business program

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Chances of admission at hard business program
By Cjd (Cjd) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 11:31 pm: Edit

I'm a senior from WV, first generation college student. I have a 3.93 W GPA, Rank 18/263 6.8%,and a 29 ACT and i've taken most of the APs offered at my school.
I work about 15 hours a week, play varsity school soccer as well as select soccer. I do a great deal of community service and i'm involved in a few clubs that i put alot of effort into. I also compete in slopestyle skiing events and play bass guitar.

I want to major in International Business at the University of Texas- Austin. I'm competing with everyone outside of the top 10% in texas for only 300 spots.... Can anyone gauge my chances?

By Cjd (Cjd) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 04:04 pm: Edit

BUMP
!!

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 04:15 pm: Edit

Where else did you apply?

By Peachieva (Peachieva) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 04:16 pm: Edit

I live in Texas and I'm also in the top 10
5 but I'm not going to apply to UT b/c I've already gotten in to Stanford. Over the summer I attended UT's Honors Colloquium and I learned about their honors prgm in business if that's what you're interested in. i know that one of the prerequisites is an SATI score above 1400 or an ACT above 31 or something. But if you're looking at intl business as a major only you have a shotbut i'd suggest retaking the ACT for a 30 something unless you're a URM. The 1st generation thing will work in your favor. Good luck.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

Peachieva~

Congrats on your acceptance at Stanford. Despite that your numbers are "in the ballpark", there is no PREREQUISITE to have a 1400 to apply for the BHP in Austin. Last year, the AVERAGE SAT of the admitted class was 1416 ... this means that some people were accepted with SAT below 1400. There were 664 applications and 164 were accepted. The regular business school accepts about 850 freshmen and the acceptance rate is higher, mostly because 50 to 75% are accepted via the 10% rule.

As a last note, you should also know that being a URM for UT-Texas wont play a role until the 2005. Despite that the Supreme Court decison allows Texas to depart from the Hopwood-induced doctrine, it will take a year to reintroduce the race factor in the admission process.

For the OP, your chances should be very good for UT.

By Cjd (Cjd) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 12:46 pm: Edit

thanks.. I also applied to GWU, UVA, UGA, VT, and American, but my first choice is UT. I'm not applying for the honors program, i just want to know my chances at regular admission to the business school. I'm not a URM, but my geographic location is diverse, i can't see too many people at UT being from WV.

By Cjd (Cjd) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 12:48 pm: Edit

My first choice is Texas not just because it is best education out of the schools i've applied to, with the exception of UVA, but even out-of-state tuition is a bargain compared to close to 40k i'd have to pay for GWU and other schools.

By Cjd (Cjd) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 12:49 pm: Edit

I'm also origionally from Houston if that helps

By Cjd (Cjd) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

BUMP

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page