Average Berkely SAT score???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Average Berkely SAT score???
By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 11:19 pm: Edit

Can someone let me know what the average SAT score is for UC Berkely? I want to study Chemistry and US History there, however I don't think I'm going to score too hot on the SAT (probably in the 1300's). However, my GPA is 4.0 and I plan on getting 4s and 5's on my 5 AP tests this year. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

By Evil_Robot (Evil_Robot) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 11:20 pm: Edit

It's 1337. But if you're white or Asian, you're probably going to have to score higher than that.

By Balkanman21 (Balkanman21) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 11:37 pm: Edit

There is no affirmative action at UCís so your statement does not make sense

By Marinakitchen (Marinakitchen) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 11:54 pm: Edit

But they admit people for "diversity" purposes, Balkan

By Collegehelp1234 (Collegehelp1234) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 02:03 am: Edit

That is incorrect, Evil_Robot and marinakitchen. The UC system, especially UC Berkeley, is under intense pressure to ignore racial "diversity," and instead consentrate on purely academic, and, to a certain extent, extracurricular activity.

UC Regents, especially Regent Ward Connerly, recently attempted to pass a proposition through the California legal system to prevent any recording of racial statistics, and one of the primary reasons was because there were rumors of people getting in (or being denied) because of their racial/ethnic background. The legal initiative failed because of faulty wording that led it to create a public safety hazard ( check SFGATE.COM for more information on proposition 54), but the pressure is stronger than ever.

While Affirmative Action is illegal in any California state-sponsored job or university, the U.C. was still allowed to trace "economic hardhsip" and give special consideration to people of disadvantaged backrounds. As a result, hispanics and african americans (who are currently more likely to be from lower economic classes) were being admitted with SAT scores as low as 800 while some whites and asians were denied admission with perfect and near perfect 1500+ scores.

However, the UC has only exercised its ability to choose economically hardshipped prospective students in a very minisule number of cases. This is the reason that so many asian americans enroll at Berkeley (more than 40%, the largest minority. Whites are around 30%). Berkeley ignores race when makeing an admissions decision, and only looks at economic condition in a select FEW cases.

Because of recent pressure by regents and the press (including campus newspapers), this preference for economically challenged prospectives is expected to reduce even further.

Every case of a disadvantaged and seemingly underqualified student will be closely scrutinized in the coming years, so adcoms at the respective UCs will undoubtedly be more conscious of ability instead of econonomic diversity.

I hope this cleared the case up for you.

By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 02:07 am: Edit

Well, I'm an Argentine-Jew that lives in California. Will that help?

By Aceofspade (Aceofspade) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 01:48 pm: Edit

ok if that was the case there would be like 8 black ppl in cal

By Fatbastard (Fatbastard) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 01:32 am: Edit

well peeps, hate to burst ur bubbles but heres the facts. i got a 1460 on sat (740 verb 720 math) and had a class rank of top 12% and took 13 ap's with an average of a 3.4 score. my good friend, who is hispanic, got an 1100, had a top 10% class rank while talking 3 ap's, he only passed 2 with 3's. He got in, I didn't. I'm white. Figure it out.

By Peacemakeriv (Peacemakeriv) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 01:38 am: Edit

every school do some sort of AA, whether they say they do it or not... they are just a whole bunch of lying bastards

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 01:39 am: Edit

LOL

AVERAGE SCORE OF 1337

evil robot you're a funny guy.

not everyone here talks the hax0r speak.

By Soraji (Soraji) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 08:58 am: Edit

Hahaha. XD

I have a friend who is currently attending Berkeley (he came back for winter break to visit with us). Since it's also my dream school, I asked for advice. While he stubbornly (the dork) refused to tell me his SAT scores, he told me to focus strongly on academics and to be a well-rounded student (meaning extra curriculars). According to him, Berkeley likes diversified students. If you get a low SAT yet have a lot of credentials behind yourself, then you can get in. He said the lowest SAT score that got in that he knew of was a 1100.

By Quarky (Quarky) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 08:20 pm: Edit

Damn it, when will people learn how to spell the school's name?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page