Summer Program Help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Summer Program Help
By Godilali (Godilali) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

I am currently a junior in high school and wish to go to a summer program, preferably in mathematics in science. I have a 225 PSAT score (71 74 80) and a 3.0 GPA. What programs do I have a chance of getting into? Also, I can only go to a free program or one that offers much financial aid.

By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

The only free program that comes to mind is RSI, but the deadline for that is February, so you should hurry up.

http://www.cee.org/rsi/index.shtml

By Musicmom (Musicmom) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 10:46 am: Edit

If your state has a Governor's School program, absolutely consider it. App process is very competitive but program is FREE.
Check with your Guidance counselor ASAP as most states have deadlines about now.

By Godilali (Godilali) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 07:10 pm: Edit

Are there any summer programs that are not very selective? They don't have to be free, just offering financial aid.

By Chrisk (Chrisk) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

check out stanford's Quest scholars program... (i think that's the one, or there may be one called bridges or something there)... in any case, i heard they have a program that's supposed to be free or inexpensive. I think there are a few programs like that around the country at various universities (also MIT has something, i think, but i think that's just a regional thing)...

By Chrisk (Chrisk) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

i just looked it up... just type quest scholars into google and you'll find their website. It's a 5-week program for people who normally wouldn't be able to go to such a program for financial reasons, and part of the program is called questbridge, which helps people apply to the colleges of their choice.

By Dr_Kzgray (Dr_Kzgray) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

I am a junior, and i am currently thinking about summer programs, but the problem is the cost of all the programs are crazy. Does anyone know of a program that is free or inexpensive, preferabbly if not exclusivly in medicine or veterinary medicine or even internships and research programs

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 12:17 am: Edit

For minorities just in case you are one:

- LEAD program in Business (one of the top- if not the top program- for business. Practically guarantees admission into an elite business school like Wharton, Stern, etc.) It is really really tough to get into but its worth it. On a side note it is free. -They have I think 11 locations where you can take the program across the nation.-
www.leadnational.org

- MITES (this is an engineering program for minorities at MIT, I'm not too familiar with it). It's free, you can find it on the MIT website

- The National Hispanic Institute offers a few programs: www.nhi-net.org
* Lorenzo de Zavala Youth Legislative Session
* Collegiate World Series
* Youth Leadership Conference
(These programs are relatively low cost -approx. 500- and they also offer you the option of finding sponsors in your area that pay for your program.) They are all pretty decent programs that really help you get connected with minority recruiters from top universities. I personally attended Lorenzo de Zavala program and had a great time; I really got to connect with some minority recruiters which really made the admissions process easier.

An example: The minority recruiter for MIT and I talked for about 2 hours and we became pretty close we had many similar interests. By the end of our talk he gave me his personal e-mail, etc. A few months later he was in my city giving a presentation and he called me up to see if I would go to the presentation and maybe have some time after to chat with him. Later he sent me tons and tons of MIT info and when I got my app in the mail it even came with a fee waiver.

By Cyberpark (Cyberpark) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

Check out the Summer Science Program...it's a 6 week astronomy program, and they offer financial aid. If you're interested, check out www.summerscience.org

By Midwesterner (Midwesterner) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 05:24 pm: Edit

Lots of programs listed here: http://cty.jhu.edu/imagine/linkA4.htm

Also check out the NIH program - they offer a small stipend for HS students, but do not cover room and board.

By Hollaratme (Hollaratme) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

whats this LEAD things it seems very interesting

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 05:01 pm: Edit

Hollaratme go to www.leadnational.org so that you can find out about the program and possibly apply. I personally applied in my junior year and was rejected :( but this year I got into Wharton ED! So that sort of shows you how competitive the program is.

By Hollaratme (Hollaratme) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 10:57 pm: Edit

wow good job what were your stats

By Memememe (Memememe) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:25 pm: Edit

RSI is free and really good on a resume, and also a great experience.

http://www.collegeconfidential.com/discus/messages/99/33702.html

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 11:40 pm: Edit

my stats are in my profile...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page