Leaving a SUNY school for Cornell...can it be done?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Leaving a SUNY school for Cornell...can it be done?
By Anynameyoulike (Anynameyoulike) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 08:14 pm: Edit

What's goin on collegiates? I got a question for you characters. I went to a catholic highschool...got crap grades (84 unweighted), and learned to dislike catholics (no offense catholics). Anyway, I got into a very "eh" college, SUNY Albany. It's not really a bad school, it's just not particularly great. I realized I was surrounded by people who don't give a rats left (well, you get the picture) about studying. They are slightly less motivated than..umm...well, I can't think of any metaphors for unmotivated people. So I started working my butt off just because I didn't want to be like them. I have a moderately decent transcript. Here comes the big question...I've been thinking about transferring. I know some kids who go to Cornell and they are telling me I should apply, they think I'd really like it. I wanna ask you guys if you think I have a shot in hell...here's to hoping. Have a look at my transcript...play admissions officer for me.

Freshman - Fall- 15 credits
Philosophical Problems 110- A
Freshman Orientation Class 110- A
East Asian Cinema- 114 - A
Intro to Psychology- 101 - A
Three Dimensional Design- 140 - B+
Spring - 12
Intro to Sociology 115 - A
Business Law - 210 A-
Intro to Physics(space)101- A-
20th Century History 158 - A
Intro to stats for behavioral sciences 210 - W
(the teacher was CRAP!...but I took it again)
GPA for Fresh. year = 3.86

Sophomore
Fall - 18 credits
Intro to Stats for behavioral sciences 210 - A-
Fundamentals of Acting- 114 (P/F) Pass
Biopsy and Behavioral Neuroscience 210 - A
Metaphysics and Epistemology 111 (can't believe it was 100! so hard! ) - A
Biology of Nutrition 117 - A
Psychology of Human Sexuality 340 - A
GPA for fall= 3.94

As far as misc. extra stuff. I volunteer a good amount of hours every week at youth center tutoring disabled students (one thing i'll miss about Albany, I really like that). I've been playing in a band for a while...they just got signed to a record label...I had to leave though (interfered with school too much). I teachstudy groups for Metaphysics and Neuroscience. I also work as a bartender a few nights a week (should I not include that one?). I have a few professors I'm all buddy/buddy with. My schedule next semester is also packed, more upper levels.

My SAT was 1270. Do I need SAT II?

Anyway...what do you guys think? You think I have a prayer in hell of getting in there? What schools do you think i have a shot with? Is it laughable to even think about Cornell? Give me your opinion (it's ok, I won't cry ... much). Thanks a lot collegiates...I appreciate you guys takin the time to read this. I would appreciate any advice.

By Televelis (Televelis) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 08:19 pm: Edit

You probably won't make Cornell, but I can definitely see you getting into plenty of other nice schools (nicer than any SUNY school, i mean).

By Nycdebater (Nycdebater) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit

bighamton isnt a bad school but i think its suny...but its a good school though

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 08:46 pm: Edit

Give it a shot man... but I think you really need to retake the SATs if there's time (as much as that sucks being a college student) because as a transfer they're still very important. I think they'll probably see you're more serious now and you can handle college-level work, it just comes down to standing out, I think transfer apps are much harder than frosh.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

Look under Message Search for posts by The Slc bug. She transferred from Sarah Lawrence to Cornell, just got accepted several weeks ago. I don't think her stats were that far from yours. I think you have a decent shot at it especially if you find a program that specifically interests you and you talk to Cornell about it. As a transfer, your highschool records and testscores diminish in importance and the central issues are your college record, and why you want to transfer to a specific school. It is crucial to picture yourself at the new school and sell the adcoms that picture.
I know a lot of kids who were accepted to Cornell for their second year of college--with conditions that they get a "B" average at an accredited school their freshman year. Many end up at the SUNYs or Syracuse for that first year and successfully transfer into Cornell. Cornell is unusual that way. Good luck, it's worth a try--the slc bug is on the "accepted to Cornell" under "Ivy League Schools" under Individual School.

By Hms (Hms) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 01:06 am: Edit

realistically, i think you have a very good chance. if you retake your SATs and do reasonably well, you may have a shot at other top tier schools as well...

a 3.9 college gpa is nothing to laugh at. i've seen transfers to harvard with college gpa's much lower than that.

By The_Slc_Bug (The_Slc_Bug) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 01:29 am: Edit

Here I am.

First of all, you say you're at a SUNY school. Are you in-state and applying to a land grant college affiliated with SUNY? If you are, I think you'll most likely be accepted, IMO. Based on your courses, though, you look like you're applying to Arts and Sciences. I think you definitely have a good chance at transfer admission. Pay careful attention to your essays.

Your SATs don't matter at all in this process, really--at least at Cornell. Do NOT retake them; it's a waste of money. The most important part is your college GPA, which looks very good, and your college ECs which also look decent. I had a 4.0 at SLC, which is a first tier college and can be pretty demanding academically. I'm not sure how Cornell will view the GPA from Albany because I don't know how hard the school is, but a 3.9 is impressive. Be sure to tell them that you need more challenge.

Good luck with everything.

By The_Slc_Bug (The_Slc_Bug) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 01:41 am: Edit

Oh yeah! And I did not take the SAT IIs.

Also, if you did poorly in high school--though an 84 isn't poor, it doesn't seem to reflect your capabilities--it doesn't hurt to let them know why (if there was any viable reason). I mentioned the problem I had in HS in my application, and I'm sure it helped. My HS average was around an 89, maybe a 90, so definitely comparable to yours.

All schools want students who want them. Just show them how much you love the school--that it is your top choice--and you should be fine.

By Reeses (Reeses) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 01:41 am: Edit

not that i know much about the transfer process, but from your grades i think you have a great shot. plus, cornell favors kids in ny (i think?)

By Anynameyoulike (Anynameyoulike) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 03:36 am: Edit

I really appreciate the info guys.

I'm gonna apply. I forgot to add that I'm in PHS and I've done an internship at a lawfirm over break. Also, I've been told my essay that I wrote for Albany (which is the same as Cornell's) is awesome...so that's nice to hear.

I'm curious though. I want to re-use the essay that I know is really solid. I also want them to know all the stuff I should share, like why I sucked in highschool, why I wanna go to Cornell...all that hullaballoo.

Anyone have any solid like "advice" on what to do and not to do?

P.S. - I really want you guys to know how much I appreciate all of you sharing this information with me. This whole college thing is such a shot in the dark, you guys really seem to have an idea of what's going on. Much respect to all of you.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 10:47 am: Edit

Hello, The Slc bug! Hope you got my congrats message on your acceptance. I was rooting for you. You are going to have to change your name to the Corny bug or something now, aren't you.
Dragged you into this because I knew you would have a lot good advice having gone through this transition. Hope you keep us posted on how you find Cornell. Happy New Year.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page