TUFTS

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: TUFTS
By Balkanman21 (Balkanman21) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 05:24 pm: Edit

How difficult is Tufts to get into (in comparison to other schools)? Academically, once you get in, how does it compare to other prestigious institutions? I applied Early Decision Round II; how much with this increase my chances? Thanks to everyone that responds.

By Balkanman21 (Balkanman21) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 07:42 pm: Edit

bump please

By Mjl86 (Mjl86) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 07:44 pm: Edit

It increases you chances. I don't know if you have ever heard of the tufts syndrome, but the school is basically treated a saftey school for a bunch of ivy bound students. They apply to ivies and tufts, and when they get accepted, they decide to go to an ivy instead of tufts. One year, Tufts' turnout rate was so low that they realized that there was a problem, so they started rejecting people who the adcom thought were overqualified and unlikely to attend the school. Applying ED2 is good for you, but personally I didn't apply because the campus is ugly and the school isn't even good. I've talked to alumni there and they said the experience was horrible. Go to the University of Chicago instead.

By Balkanman21 (Balkanman21) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

Ha, well thanks for the info, but I have already applied ED II at Tufts. I was going to apply to U of C, but the uncommon app was way too much of a hassle even for such a wonderful school. Does everyone have such a negative opinion about Tufts?

By Gabushida (Gabushida) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 08:20 pm: Edit

Are you kidding? Tufts is a wonderful school. It was the only other school I even considered ED for there (did Cornell instead and got in). In fact, if Cornell hadnt come through, I probably would have done EDII there.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 08:21 pm: Edit

I went to Tufts. It was my first choice school and I loved it. My husband went there and also it was his first choice. I have a daughter applying and she has it as a first choice as well. Your early app does help your odds somewhat, yes. Have you visited Tufts? Talk to many students to get a feeling for their experiences there. The post above is NOT indicative of how Tufts students feel. In fact, my daughter has visited twice now and commented to me that every single student she spoke with there (and she spoke to numerous ones) only had very positive things to say. Not one said they were unhappy with the school. These were random people she spoke with, not people she knew ahead of time. By the way, I find the campus really lovely and the location is ideal.

Good luck to you!
Susan

By Balkanman21 (Balkanman21) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 08:30 pm: Edit

Thanks everyone. Susan, I have looked over some of your posts on the Tufts discussion board and they were very helpful. I have also visited the campus twice, gone to the regional info session here in the Bay Area, and I had my interview back in October. The alumnus I spoke to was wonderful and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE that “global perspective” that Tufts teaches and that is present in all Tufts alumni. Anyway, I have good reasons for applying ED II, but I’m just curious how much that will increase my chances because my grades and EC’s are great, but my test scores are in the lower end of the middle 50% at Tufts.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 09:51 pm: Edit

Hi, I do not have the admit rates in front of me comparing ED and RD (which do not break down round one and round two). But off the top of my head, the odds clearly improve in the early round over the regular round so if you know it is your first choice, this may help you, but obviously is not a lock or anything, just helps. I cannot evaluate your stats but if your grades and ECs are outstanding, it can help override SATs that are on the lower end if they are within reason for Tufts in the first place. They look at the whole person. Personally, I feel grades show me more than scores but that is just me. Also I believe that Tufts values kids who are actively involved outside the classroom and you say that describes you. Have you ever visited the campus? I know you live far. The best thing to do is to visit, talk to professors, students, those in your EC areas of interest and so on. Tufts is hard to get into and you know that. I hope you articulated how badly you wish to go there and why. I hope you get in!!! I am sure you have some other good schools lined up as well so be open minded. Fingers crossed for you. If I can answer something else, give it a shot.

Susan

By Balkanman21 (Balkanman21) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 10:01 pm: Edit

I’ve visited Tufts twice and, like I said, I have plenty of reasons for applying ED II. It is certainly my first choice and that is why I was absolutely committed to apply under a binding contract. I have a post titled “Will Tufts find this interesting?” in the Tufts discussion board. I would really appreciate it if you would take a look and tell me what you think. Thanks for all the info and the support Susan.

By Balkanman21 (Balkanman21) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

“I hope you articulated how badly you wish to go there and why.”

I think I have emphasized my extreme interest in Tufts/my reasons for wanting to attend and, if you’d like, I would be happy to send you my essays. They have already been sent to Tufts and what’s done is done, but my parents are the only ones to have seen my essays and they were born in Europe, making English their second language. I’m a bit curious to see if my essays are any good and if they convey my message properly.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 12:19 am: Edit

Tufts (according to a trustee I spoke with) is now the 10th or 11th hardest university to get into - so "safety school" for the Ivies is not really accurate. :) The majority of kids with 1450 SATs get rejected, and it is not because they are overqualified or other ridiculousness. I've personally seen applications of students (one accepted, one waitlisted, one rejected) and had the admissions officers explain the reasoning behind each choice. It was very englightening, in that you could see why a kid with 1400+ SATs, top 10% of a private school class, and some ECs just was not good enough to get in.

Now, to try to quantify what Susan said about looking at the whole person, Tufts looks at applicants across three categories: academics, extracurriculars, and personal qualities.

*The academics comprise GPA, rigor of classes (there are problems for people who do things like drop foreign languages after a year or two), SATs, how well the SATs correlate to essay quality and grades, etc.

*Extracurriculars is based on how long you've stuck with particular activities, the substance behind them (i.e. being on a newspaper which meets for an hour a week is not impressive), what level you've done things at, etc.

*Personal qualities comments are based on everything, like letters of recommendation, essays, and interviews.

Tufts seeks to admit students who are strong in all areas... which is why a kid with solid grades and SATs may not be admitted if the essay is poorly written or if he/she didn't do much in the line of ECs. I went to high school with a girl who was in the top 4% of the class, from a school which sends a couple kids a year to Tufts, had solid SATs, a father who went there... and she was rejected. It may have well been that she did not do anything outside of school until her senior year, so the lack of interests outside of school hurt her.

I hope this is at least helpful to you. :) Susan always gives good advice - listen to her.

You can drop a note to Tufts in a week or two, just reiterating your interest in the school and telling them that you hope to hear from them soon. Include any recent accomplishments or anything relevant.

GOOD LUCK! :)

By Dashrndrx (Dashrndrx) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 07:20 pm: Edit

How much does it hurt to have dropped a foreign language after 2 years and not continue with anything else afer that? Was I just able to make up for it in other areas of my application or through what I was taking in place of a foreign language in my schedule? I was admitted under ED I.

By Balkanman21 (Balkanman21) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 08:16 pm: Edit

I had no problem deciding. I was going to apply to Vassar, but then I visited and was not too impressed. Poughkeepsie is very ugly and about 70% of Vassar students are feminists. It reminds me of Berkeley and I really don’t like Berkeley.

By Balkanman21 (Balkanman21) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 08:19 pm: Edit

woops wrong post :)

By Balkanman21 (Balkanman21) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

Dash,

Congratulations on your acceptance! I would give anything to be going to school with you next fall at Tufts. You only took two years of a foreign lang? Wow, I know Tufts is big on foreign langs, so your app must have been extremely strong overall. Again, congratulations.

By Dashrndrx (Dashrndrx) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 08:49 pm: Edit

Thanks Balkanman21. If anything it wasn't based off of my scores. I believe i had pretty average scores and slightly lower compared to the rest of the people on this board who got into tufts.

By Balkanman21 (Balkanman21) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 09:21 pm: Edit

Well that makes it all the sweeter. What were your stats like (if I may ask)? I bet my SAT scores are lower than yours (SAT1 = 1270 SATII = 770,660,640)

By Dashrndrx (Dashrndrx) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 09:27 pm: Edit

1350, 620,700,770

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page