GPA Question

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: GPA Question
By Pwiddles (Pwiddles) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 01:49 pm: Edit

O.K. I was just wondering what kind of gpa do colleges care more about: your weighted gpa or unweighted. Someone said that most of the average gpa's that collegfes give for thier incoming classes is unweighted. My guidance counselor does not tell us what our unweighted is. He just tells us our weighted gpa and class rank. May people have said that since I come form a small school, it doesn't really matter, just as long as our gpa is an 85 or above. Can you help me out?????

Also, I am very nervous about getting into Northeastern. Many peole have said on this site that I am not a great candidate for it, but I know a girl who did not get above a 1050 and got in. What is a safe gpa to have for this school?

By Peachieva (Peachieva) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 01:58 pm: Edit

usually most high schools that have weighted gpa's have a published conversion table or something of the like. I suggest you ask someone for the table or ask how to figure out your gpa. generally for uw gpas an "A" is worth 4 pts a "B" 3 pts etc. What are your stats? i would think a 3.5 gpa would suffice for this school but you never know. good luck

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 02:03 pm: Edit

I think that probably what is most important is your unweighted GPA, evaluated in the context of your courseload.

By Pwiddles (Pwiddles) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 03:45 pm: Edit

My wieghted gpa is an 88 and my sat score is a 1100? Is there any hope?

By Collegeparent (Collegeparent) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit

There was a terrific article in the Wall Street Journal a few months ago which said that high school transcripts are reconfigured to give the college the GPA that it's looking for. In other words, they have their own methods of taking your grades and then applying their own standards. Factors include APs, Honors, Advanced, school reputation, teacher reputation (in more cases than you think), basic courses vs. electives, etc. Your transcript will be reconfigured by each college you submit it to, so your GPA will fluctuate according to what they are looking for and while you can guess what that figure might be, you won't know exactly how it's been interpreted and reconfigured.

By Bart_Simpson22 (Bart_Simpson22) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Northeastern

Profile of Admitted Students

High School GPA middle 50% range 2.9-3.6
SAT middle 50% 1090-1240
Students ranked in the top 50% of their graduating high school class 86%

You ARE a good candidate for Northeastern. Like i said a few days ago it is a match school for you...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page