Out of state schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Out of state schools
By Amelie20 (Amelie20) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 03:03 am: Edit

i live in california, and i'm planning on applying to a good amount of out-of-state schools. if i'm not a state resident, will this lower my chances at most schools?

By Duncan79 (Duncan79) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 03:29 am: Edit

depends where. very competitive ones like UNC and UVA...yeah..but there are many colleges that don't have quotas for out of staters.

By Amelie20 (Amelie20) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 06:41 am: Edit

thanks,

i'm looking at: NC school for the arts, boston u, cmu, nyu.

i know a lot of these are pretty competitive, but do you know if being an out of stater will lower my chances?

By Sweetnhappy (Sweetnhappy) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 09:43 am: Edit

With private schools, out-of-staters have no problem. Some public colleges like to have more out of staters too, because the students have to pay additional funds that aren't derived from the state budget as subsidies for current students that are in state.

So, private, no problem, public, maybe a problem as they exist for the state, but the funding issue makes out of staters attractive, especially for schools getting less funding from their state allocation.

By Sweetnhappy (Sweetnhappy) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 09:45 am: Edit

I forgot to mention, many private schools have a proportionately higher amount of out-of-staters than in-staters. They are good for people who want to see another part of the country.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page