Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Harvard for a Latino dude
By Miamiman (Miamiman) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 12:51 am: Edit

yea yea i know ive posted b4 but i just wanna update my stats

Hispanic/Male
Foreign Born (peru)
inner city - ghetto school

PSAT - v (65) m(72) W (69)
AP SCORES (sophomore)- Chemistry (4), Enviro Science (5)

JUNIOR YEAR COURSELOAD

- Honors American History
- AP Art History
- AP Calculus AB
- AP Physics B
- Honors French III
- AP English Language
- Medical Research
- AP Human Geography (independent study)- should get a 5

so far i have straight a's in all these cept calculus (b-plus)

E/C'S

Mu Alpha Theta (9,10,11)
- vicepresident/fundraising
- awards
3rd In the State (History of Math)
15th In the Nation (History of Math)
15th In the Nation (Precalculus)
Ecology (10,11)
- historian
French Honor Society
- selected to go to States
SECME
- 1st in Mathematics (county)
Science Honor Society
- treasurer
Chemistry
- was treasurer
Engineering Club
- historian
- going to compete in US First Robotics
this year
Miami Springs Aquatic Club

lots of honor awards (Most Outstanding Language Arts/Mathematics/Science Awards)

VARSITY Swimming Team
VARSITY Water Polo Team

Violin (playing on me for 9 years)

Internship - 2 year thing
at the Diabetes Research Institute at Univ of Miami (im guaranteed admission)
going to compete for Intel STS (senior year)
- goal : to isolate specific proteins (pTaT and VP-16 for cloning purposes - islet cells)

its pretty cool and i already have a good rec from my research mentor.

i just wanna know my chances for Harvard EA when i apply next year. any critiques and comments/advice are greatly appreciated

thanks

By Miamiman (Miamiman) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 10:29 am: Edit

bump

By Nycdebater (Nycdebater) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 06:19 pm: Edit

A school that offers all that....is not a ghetto school....i truly go to a ghetto school where i have to fight to get an AP.......class in the school.....they dont even have those courses.....

By Margitte (Margitte) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 07:27 pm: Edit

although i have posted a message, and am extremely interested in finding out what people have to say about my stats, don't you think it's kind of odd that we expect to get good advice from kids who are asking the same questions as us? it's sort of ironic or hypocritical or *something*...

By Wo4567 (Wo4567) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 05:57 pm: Edit

gah! more violinists applying to Harvard! what shall I do? Honestly, your stats sound incredible, particularly the internship. Just a suggestion: do not write your essay about any of what you have already done. Write about something personal. I had my Harvard interview last week and the alum congratulated me on having chosen a topic completely unrelated to my ECs. I wrote about getting in a hit-and-run car accident and the violation I felt when the [expletive] drove away. Also... you sound like you do a lot... just make sure you dont burn yourself out (as I did my junior year)... leave some time for yourself or for friends and family. As a last suggestion... get your SATs and SAT IIs done before your junior to senior summer. Good luck finishing your junior year.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 05:50 am: Edit

I got into Harvard EA and am Latino. The best advise I cna give you is to be yourself. By reading your accomplishments, I can see you have what it takes to get through round 1. Now, you need great recs and essays as well as a solid interview to get you some success. A few more things...
1) Please apply to more reaches and some matches and safeties.
2) Don't expect ANYTHING from HYP, they are incredibly competitive and completely unpredictable.
3 Best of Luck!!! Email me if you have questions!!! :)

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 07:08 pm: Edit

i agree you're school isnt ghetto my school barely has any AP classes which is why my gpa is so much lower than everyone else on this board (3.966)

By Miamiman (Miamiman) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 10:27 am: Edit

thanks alot for all the feedback, my email is phoenix884@aol.com if anyone wants to write.

yeah i do plan to take all my tests b4 senior year, and yeah i do have a really troubled family life (hence: divorced parents) which is what i plan to write on for the essay and everything.

i also have other reaches (Yale, Princeton, John Hopkins, Columbia, Cornell)
some of my safeties are Boston U., New York U., Univ of Miami, and UCLA - Berkeley

thanks again

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page