Applied to too many schools (i think)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Applied to too many schools (i think)
By Fri3ndlyfire (Fri3ndlyfire) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 11:25 pm: Edit

I applied to quite a few schools in my quest for the best school that I could possibly get into. Actually it may be due to the fact that I didn't research before hand. Regardless, I applied to:

Yale
Columbia
Johns Hopkins
Rice
Cornell
Northwestern
Carnegie Mellon
Emory
NYU
Rochester REMS (guaranteed med)
Binghamton
Stony Brook
Polytech-got in already
IIT HMED (guaranteed med)-got in regular already
St Johns (pharmacy)
Washington in St. Louis
Sophie Davis (guaranteed med)-it's in the bag

SAT: 780M,780V
SATII: 800IIC,770WR,770PH
GPA: like 85 unweighted, my school's darn hard...(top ten public in nation) and i slacked off frosh

Other stuff: research 4 years, westinghouse semi, national merit semi, physics team captain, science olympiad, science journal, other less important stuff... oh and i skipped two grades...

do i have a shot, despite my ridiculously low GPA, and should i have applied to so many schools?

By Cornellhopeful (Cornellhopeful) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 11:38 pm: Edit

you definitely hove a shot at most of the schools. 85 unweighted might SEEM low, but they look in the context of your school and the courses you took. I have an 89 unweighted, 92.33 weighted, and it's because I took the HARDEST classes offered in the district, and THE hardest class in the district and perhaps the county(LOL), which brought my GPA down. W/o the class, it's like a 93 unweighted. So they'll look at us in the context of what courses we took and our schools. If you had the time to fill out each app. properly and with the same energy as you started, there's no problem. I wish i'd have applied to at least one or two more(i applied to 8). Your list is similar to mine as well: Cornell(first choice), Yale, Johns Hopkins, Binghamton, Penn State(acccepted), Georgetown, Penn, Brown. I have a friend who's also applying to Sophie Davis. Is that your first choice? What do you mean that "it's in the bag"? What school do you go to? Also the westinghouse and research should definitely help you with SD and the others in general. Good luck!

By Fri3ndlyfire (Fri3ndlyfire) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 11:47 pm: Edit

i can sympathize with what you're saying about taking hard courses, because i too take the hardest courses my schools offer. I actually wake up every day at 5 and get home at 7. The deal with Sophie Davis is that it's run by City College, and I happen to have done research with a professor who is on the admissions committee. Also, there's an admissions test which is also known as the ACT, which i got a 35 on last time i took it. That's why i think it shouldn't be a problem for me to get in. Oh and thanks for the reassurance, cornellhopeful.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 11:49 pm: Edit

You look like a good candidate for your schools despite your low gpa, but you do understand that most of those schools/programs are true lottery tickets? The top schools , HYP, the ivies, any school with a selectivity less than a third look at your profile very carefully and turn down candidates with your stats AND high grades from tough schools. Look in the individual schools boards and you can see what type of kids have been turned down. The joint med programs are even more selective. I know many kids who got into HPY and did not get into any of the combined BA/MD programs. So you really can't count on admissions to any of these type of schools.
However you do have safeties. Polytech, you have in the bag. Don't know what you mean about Sophie Davis. My understanding is that it is extremely selective and unless you are an URM, it too is a crapshoot. Binghamton and Stoneybrook look good and you are already in IIT's college component. Rochester and St Johns looks good too though I do not know the selectivity of the pharmacy program there or how it works.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page