Junior curious about admission chances at top universities

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Junior curious about admission chances at top universities
By Canegato (Canegato) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 08:29 pm: Edit

I'm curious what the knowledgable members of CC think about my chances of being admitted to these schools: Northwestern, Georgetown, University of Chicago, and some Ivy League schools.

Here are my stats:

White male.

SAT: 1340 (720 verbal, 620 math)
ACT: 30
PSAT: 214

Class rank: High school does not rank.
GPA: 4.0 on an unweighted 4.0 scale.

Work load: Most rigorous possible.
AP: US History and European History, the only AP courses offered at my school. I have not taken the AP exams yet.

Extracurriculars:
Scholastic Bowl (grade 9)
Student Council (grades 10-12)
Principal's Advisory Committee (grades 10-12)

Awards:
I may be a National Merit Scholar based on my PSAT scores. I will at least be a commended scholar for my state (Illinois). I have received two local awards for academic achievment every year from my school and the board of education.

I should have very positive recommendations from counselors/teachers. I should also have pretty good essays, since I write well and will study other's essays.

Please note that I have not taken any SAT II's. I know that this prevents me from applying to some Ivy League schools. Should I take them? If so, which ones?

By Canegato (Canegato) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 10:52 pm: Edit

bump

By Vulcano (Vulcano) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

Since you are a junior you still have time. All your stuff looks good EXCEPT your SAT score and ec's. With that score getting into an Ivy will be very hard. Focus on getting it to around a 1450. Also, your extracurriculars are rather weak, get into stuff NOW.

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 11:17 pm: Edit

Hey Cane, what school do you go to in IL. I think you have a decent shot at the schools you listed, but the ivies are a harder - You need to raise your SAT scores and get more involved as Vulcano said.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page