Korean-american, shooting for Cornell

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Korean-american, shooting for Cornell
By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 03:47 pm: Edit

I'm a junior at smallest and IB bound high school at fairfax county, VA.

-Current GPA:3.87
-I missed the whole semester in my freshman year; I moved to US 2 years ago, and spent a year in ESOL program.

-Classes: 4 pre-IB in sophomore year, 4 IB classes and 1 pre-IB in current year (IB chem/senior sci./IB English1/AP Calculus AB/Pre-IB English 10/Spanish1/US-VA history/Spanish2): doubling up with english because my english teacher encouraged me to.

-Senior schedule: IB English2, IB higher math I and II, IB Biology 1 and 2, AP Government and Politics (Online-course), Spanish 3 and 4.

-College courses: Pre-IB precalculus (A), International Relations1 (A), Introduction of Political Science (A)
Planned to take International relation 2 and biometical Ethics over the summer

-PSAT:186 (math:76/Verbal:60/writing:50)

-SATIIs:Korean-790/Math IIC-800/Chem:750/Writing-will be taken

-TOEFL: 620(Taking it again soon)

-Ecs: V.P/Non-muslim representative/Founding member at Islamic Club

Meeting coordinator/Founder, O.A.S.I.S. (Language awareness club)

President/Founder, Edison United (Club, working for hate-free school)

Active Volunteer in Feminist Majority Foundation. (100 hrs)

Coordinator (youth-reach program), Science club/Olympiad

Super active member (we don't have officers), Young Democrats (I helped local democrat for house of delegation election-he won and I got paid too ^^), and I planned to do more.

Member(at local group)/freedom writer, Amnesty International

member of CUAPD(against death penalty) and got 300 petitions so far.

No honor society-think they're waste of time. If I have time to honor myself, I'd rather go and spend my time on honoring someone else who is really worth being honored.

Playing piano for 6 years.(play for local elementary graduation or weddings)

Tutoring elementary kids for a year so far. (4 hrs per week, about 120 hrs)

I play no sports or I'm not in the band.

-Awards
-Listed on every honor roll so far
-English student award at school
-Poem and essay(about being an atheist in conservative catholic family) published on
school magazine.
-Award for community service

-Occupation
-I work 10hrs/week as a library page
-Play paino at weddings-about 10 times/year

-Program
:Selected as a participant in Fairfax county youth leadership program (they select 1 student from juniors at each school in my county; about 30 kids get in. We attend monthly meetings and do paid 3-weeks internship (I plan to do at circuit court)

I'm korean female.

I planned to major in international study, government, or Political Science (I possibly coordinate my own major), and I hope to work for UN's sub-commision which works for human rights in the future.

Can you guys tell me if I will have a chance at
Cornell(Early admission)
Yale (--^)
James Madison
UVA
George mason
George Washington
Wellesley
Smith
Northwestern
Berkeley

and what I have to do to increse my chances?
P.S Thank you all for reading this boring stats...^^;

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 03:56 pm: Edit

Many colleges will not accept a language SAT II if it is in your native language.

By Wutdeh (Wutdeh) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 04:55 pm: Edit

your verbal score is low (typical of most asians). As well as your writing PSAT. So it's going to be really tough for you to separate youreself from all the other asians. (Im korean male with 800 verbal).

On an unrelated note, odd. i know very few korean atheists.

By Sungwoojj15 (Sungwoojj15) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 05:12 pm: Edit

are you korean? where did you come from? i came from bang bae dong kekeke nice to meet you. i have question. how did you make clubs that much?

By Hertish (Hertish) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 05:13 pm: Edit

i'm from bang bae dong too!!
but i would have goon to seoul high school but came here

By Cyberiplex_Jim (Cyberiplex_Jim) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 05:29 pm: Edit

I'm not helping you......atheist.......

haha...:).....what's your prospective major? did u take the SAT Is yet? What's your class rank?

Everything looks great.....esp. your E.C.s...

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 05:43 pm: Edit

I'd like to major in International affair (if college doesn't offer, I'd like to coordinate one myself). Or political science/Government.
I'm not 100% sure yet.

I'm from jeon ju, if you guys know (it seems to me that you guys all from the capital.)

So How much chances do I have for the colleges I have listed up there?

I'm junior, so I have little bit more time to improve my chance, I believe^^; So do you guys have any suggestions?

ANd, for Sungwooii's question, I have only founded 2 clubs, and helped to find one club(co-founder). I have heart and passion for the things that I have founded club for. I mean, isn't that all we need?

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 09:55 am: Edit

bump

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 08:46 pm: Edit

bump

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 08:39 pm: Edit

bump

By Everet (Everet) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 09:52 pm: Edit

omg wow I'm korean too-male. Most of my ECs are mostly poltical. Like ACLU, JSA, and Campus Greens. I think You'll get accepted. I got accepted with similar stats to yours. Kudos to your political awareness. Most Koreans aren't democrat which is a shame. I'm a democrat:P

By Njgrl (Njgrl) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 11:54 pm: Edit

Most koreans where I live (northern NJ) aren't too political active, but I'm a democrat too :) Go Dean.. anyways,

i agree partically with wutdeh. you moved 2 yrs ago so obviously your verbal score is lower, but I really wouldn't think much of the 790 korean sat ii.. itz not that colleges won't accept it, they will - but it won't really count for anything.. just an fyi.. not only the score but the percentile matters as well when they get the score report from collegeboard. i remember my 800 korean sat ii was something around a 75 percentile.. (because the test is so easy, horrible curve).. obviously a 790 would have even less of a percentile. Simply, it won't count for much, especially if you moved 2 yrs ago. something in the humanities would be more than impressive

By Everet (Everet) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 12:43 am: Edit

I'm for Howard Dean also. He'll take back the white house. Just to make sure this post isn't deleted I would like to mention that he went to Yale :P

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 04:19 am: Edit

too much koreans on this board...
(sucks that I have to be competing with you guys for a spot)

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 11:29 am: Edit

Thanks for you guys' comments on my stat. I really appreciate it.

I just took Korean SATII just for the heck of it, you know? It's not bad at all to have a high score in my apps whether It was easy or not. My counselor once told me "you should be proud of yourself. You think it's possible for the kids who were born and raised here to get a 800 in their writing SAT??" Well, Part of it true, part of it not considering Writing SAT is harder than Korean one.

Well, I'm a junior and I'm trying hard not to get worried sick about it. Actually, it's not me. It's my mom and dad --^. I'd be honored and feel so much blessed and lucky to get accepted from cornell or JHU, but my parents keeps telling me that I should apply to Harvard, Yale, stanford, or princeton. Not that I don't like to, it's just that it's waste of time since I have 90 percent of getting rejected. Well, the parents.. --;

I mean, I worked up to my full capacity until now, to stand where I am now. It was hard, really hard. I suffered from depression(embarrased--^) for about 8 months and had to see a "head doctor" for a while because I was just sad, especially because of lack of understandings from my parents. Whatever I do, how hard I try, it didn't matter. If I get a B+ from a class. I'm dead. What the heck was wrong with B+ anyways...--^ But now they know part of what I'm going through and how much I need them to understand me better although they still infuriate me sometimes with their harsh words, they are trying^^;

WEll, Anyone else wants to rate my chances for the schools I have listed?

And Everet, where did you get accepted?

By Iluvlucy (Iluvlucy) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 11:51 am: Edit

It seems kind of cheap to take the Korean SAT II if you are Korean, LOL(:
Although if there was a Hindi SAT II I would jump to take it. Since I was born and raised here I should get some credit for knowing my parents' language. Those are all pretty good schools, but you have pretty good stats too. I think the Islamic club thing is really cool-it sets you apart from all the other Asian applicants who might have only been in a club for their own heritage.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 12:17 pm: Edit

Colleges will probably see the Islamic club as a resume filler, unless you can explain why you dedicate time to a religion that you don't follow.

By Haiyaa (Haiyaa) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 03:07 pm: Edit

As things stand...

Cornell(Early admission) - maybe
Yale (--^) - probably not
James Madison - probably
UVA - good chance
George mason - probably
George Washington - good chance
Wellesley - maybe
Smith - ???
Northwestern - maybe
Berkeley - probably not (It's a West-Coast school, so I think it'd be partial to students on the West Coast)

Your math and science SAT scores are good... try focusing on improving your verbal and writing skills. I know you just recently moved here, but it will definitely help, especially when it comes time for you to write your college essays.

-Awards
-Listed on every honor roll so far
(the admissions board will yawn at this)
-English student award at school This won't distinguish you from other applicants, but you can go ahead and put it in your apps if there's nothing better to take its place.
-Poem and essay(about being an atheist in conservative catholic family) published on
school magazine.
How many other people were published in your school magazine? This is just filler material, unless you can tie it into your applications as something significant to your life.
-Award for community service Community service is always a good thing...

I planned to major in international study, government, or Political Science (I possibly coordinate my own major)... Duke has something called the Program II that allows you to design your own major. You might want to consider Duke for that reason, but I'm sure other colleges offer something similar.

...and I hope to work for UN's sub-commision which works for human rights in the future. What have you done recently for human rights? It's good to have plans for the future, but are you doing anything now related to these plans?

Hmm... that's about it. Best of luck to you. :) I can tell you're a hardworker, and I hope you get into the college of your choice.

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 05:09 pm: Edit

bump

By Njgrl (Njgrl) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 05:57 pm: Edit

well for just to respond.. i was born and raised here and got an 800

having a high korean score is obviously great for ur app, but only if there's other tests that are more importnat.. try to make it a plus to 3 other tests in different areas like history or literature, instead of leaving it just as one of the 3 required.

and for iluvlucy.. itz not "cheap" and in fact it doesn't really give ppl who took korean a big edge either if their nationality is korean. I know there aren't any Hindi SAT ii's but I'm sure you can show ur commitment or proficiency in it through other ways

By Everet (Everet) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 06:40 pm: Edit

Hhboyji I got accepted to Cornell. I know what you're going through. My parents always told me that you must go to Harvard. They put a lot of pressure on me. So what I decided to do was early decision to Cornell so they wouldn't be able to do anything about it:P. But happily they were happy for me and they were crying for joy. And now my dad is saying the Cornell is better than harvard go figure lol

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 11:20 am: Edit

What was your stat? if you don't mind giving me yours. I really want to go to cornell whether my parents like it or not.

By Everet (Everet) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 12:38 pm: Edit

I never give my stats away. Personally I think my essays and recs is what got me in. My GPA was higher than yours unweighted. We don't have weighted grades in Washington. My SATs 1 is similar to yours. My SAT II is lower than yours. I'm also in IB who trying to get the Full Diploma. I'm politically active. I help make an Anti War rally at my school etc. I'm the Vice President of JSA (Junior Statesmen of America). Founder and President of ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union), Vice President of Campus Greens, Student Rep for Student Empowerment. I'm in National Honor Society, Knowledge Bowl, Musicanship club. And I'm pretty involved in all my clubs. My whole application evolved around one theme of me being political. From there I branched out of how it made me who I am. I can email you my essays if you want.

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 11:22 am: Edit

That would be awesome. My e-mail address is beingawinner@msn.com. I mean, I know I will write about my EC activities and I am politically (especailly in supporing human rights) active. I love doing it and I also plan to make it as a career. I just don't know how to put them in words.

Anyone else want to rate my chances?

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 02:53 pm: Edit

Being atheist is a little harsh isn't it? I don't look highly upon the ones I know because they seem to be pigheaded and uninsightful (then again, they are all preppy white kids). Anyway, you shouldn't have a problem getting into Cornell: you have what they need in the areas they weight heavily. Best of luck.

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 03:06 pm: Edit

Vsage3, thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.
I'm not a pigheaded or uninsightful kid who is like "Well, I don't know. I don't believe in God because I say so." No.. I have my own reasons.

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 11:32 am: Edit

bump

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 11:27 am: Edit

bummmmmmmmmmmmmp

By Myoryu (Myoryu) on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 03:01 pm: Edit

Hey, I'm a Korean female too ~

Well, if you apply to Cornell E.D., you'll definitely get in (unless you get lower than 1300 in SAT I). Smith is in your range, too.

However, if you want to go for Yale and other top ten colleges... just do not expect those colleges to take your relatively short period of stay in the States into account because there are full of Koreans (I have to say this, there are full of koreans) who never stepped on the American soil in their life yet got 1500+/750+ in SAT I and IIs.

I personally understand your situation since I am in the similar circumstance as you are - I am a senior and have been in the States for 3.5 years. Well, as we all know, it's extremely hard to prove our potential without a tangible evidence - usually SAT/AP/IB/Toefl scores, awards, writing, recommendations, etc.

What I wanna say is this: I've seen a lot of int'l students who find excuses of getting low SAT scores in their being international students. Top colleges, however, usually do not take that into account.

I've applied to several colleges, some of which were the schools you mentioned above. Well, I'll let you know what the results are in April so that you can have some kind of guideline.

Again, it makes me always happy to see a Korean female working hard and enjoying what she's doing in the States. Good luck to you and love what you're doing.

ps. Your parents are just like mine - they are also devout believers of Harvardism.

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 11:23 am: Edit

Wow, thanks for the advices and encouragements.
I don't want to go to yale or harvard. As matter of fact, I've never taken into consideration before. My parents only care about how famous and eminent the name of the colleges are, which really ticks me off. I love cornell, love the program, love the campus. But my parents go like "Well, it's low-IVY" I mean, who cares? It's still very competitive school where I am almst guaranteed to get a good education.
Well, thanks for your comment, I really appreciate it.

By Haruko (Haruko) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

future occupation: Employed to UN

I want to work with the UN as well some day ^_^ ::sophomore:: Well, good luck I hope you get in!!

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 07:11 am: Edit

bump

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 10:20 am: Edit

As another representantive of the Korean species, I was wondering where else all of you Koreans applied to?
Is it mostly Universities or did you also apply to LAC's?

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 02:24 pm: Edit

bump

By Fiza (Fiza) on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 02:34 pm: Edit

Where in Virginia do you live?
I mean like what city or county?

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 11:46 am: Edit

Fairfax county

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 10:41 am: Edit

bump

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 10:48 am: Edit

Koreans are not a species.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page