Chances @ MIT !

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Chances @ MIT !
By On9juno (On9juno) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 11:42 am: Edit

I am wondering what my chances are for MIT, being an Asian student who came to the USA just a year ago...
I got 5s in all my APs, listed in the following:
Calc AB (Soph), Calc BC (Junior), Phys B (Soph), Phys C (Junior), AP Comp Sci AB
Actually I have learnt Calc BC and most of Physics C in my Sophomore year myself, however, I was held back by the school.

This year, as a junior, I am currently enrolled a multivariable calculus based physics course. I was a great physics and engineering guys since i was very very small. I build robots and invent all sorts of little machines and things. I have years of knowledge in computers (especially hardware, even clustering and supercomputer experience)

I just love thinking and searching answers myself. However, it's hard to show that on my transcript that I am different.

Moreover, since I came to the US just for a year, my SAT I is horrible... I am expecting
Verbal : 500 , Math : 800

My grades in school is very good. All but SAT suck.
Also, I have quite a lot of extracurricular activities, including music, social services, sports, clubs, and a great deal of physics/engineering related things.

So... Do I have a chance a MIT???

P.S. I am sorry for my poor english and organization

By Myoryu (Myoryu) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 12:37 pm: Edit

I think you have a shot.. but I think you really have to bring up your SAT I verbal score above 600... Did you get 500? or Are you just expecting about 500? (Expectation can be misleading) What about your SAT II's? I bet you'll get 800 in Math IIC and Physics, but what about in Writing?

International: less chance
Male: less chance
Asian: much less chance

You have led a very comp/physics-related life. Make sure to show that in your essays and in your recommendations. Good luck!

By Pwiddles (Pwiddles) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

I think you have a good shot man. Your Sat scores do not have to be perfect. Watch you'll see. Kepp us posted if u get in aight.

By On9juno (On9juno) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

I am completely confused as to what standards is MIT looking for??

Are they only recruiting kids who did calculus when they were 10?
I went to MIT for a couple of times, and it seems to me people there are just normal science-loving kids who did calculus just like normal people??

By On9juno (On9juno) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 09:55 pm: Edit

I am completely confused as to what standards is MIT looking for??

Are they only recruiting kids who did calculus when they were 10?
I went to MIT for a couple of times, and it seems to me people there are just normal science-loving kids who did calculus just like normal people

By Welshie (Welshie) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

MIT, and all competitive colleges for that matter, are looking for smart, intelligent, energetic kids that have a drive to learn more about their subject. They don't hold untouchable standards like Calculus in grade school but they do expect you to have excelled in what you have taken and expect you to have a desire to learn more.

-Jesse

By On9juno (On9juno) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 12:17 am: Edit

I mean, my high school is a very competitive school... every year ~75% of graduates goes to USNews Top 25, and on average each year one goes to MIT and one goes to Caltech...

People at my school say that my stats are impressive...

I thought colleges nowadays do not weight that heavily on SAT anymore

After you experienced students said all the above, I am worried whether i could get into a decent college at all... :(

By Pedro7487 (Pedro7487) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 09:30 am: Edit

SATs won't by themselves get you in, but they will keep you out.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 12:25 pm: Edit

I agree that 1300 is rather weak, especially for MIT. Maybe you could retake in Jan 2004?

By On9juno (On9juno) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 09:53 pm: Edit

I will be taking in March, probably June, October and probably November... Remember that I am just a junior~
Also, I will probably make the USPhO semifinalist, or even IPhO

I just don't have the initiative to study for the SAT, I find it a waste of time.

SAT is a great road block for asian students...
Does it help if I am a US citizen?
I left the US when i was 1 month old, and come back last year for high school

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page