Transferring from Berkeley to Harvard, Stanford, Wharton

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Transferring from Berkeley to Harvard, Stanford, Wharton
By Lokiminion (Lokiminion) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 09:11 am: Edit

Hi guys,
I'm currently a sophomore and I'm thinking about tranferring out of Berkeley for one of those schools (Harvard, Stanford, UPenn-Wharton), but I'm not sure if I can do it so I hope somebody can give me a fair assessment. I haven't been exactly working towards this goal since I got into college or even high school, so my stats are a bit random. I found this on google and this site seems pretty active.
So here's all my stats, hope someone can help.
high school:
I went to the top public high school in California in terms of STAR and SAT testing and college acceptances etc... and its recently been publicized in a book.
My final GPA I believe was ~3.5, but I did poorly in my frosh years, with 3 C's, algebra II, trig, and spanish I but I've consistently challenged myself with the hardest classes available at my school. Junior, Senior year was 3.5-3.67 per semester. My school weighted Honors and AP's from sophomore year and up as 5's for A's, and 4's for B's and so on. Based on this scale my final GPA was about 4.1-4.3 including senior year. My school does not rank.
SAT I, 1460 (710 Math, 750 verbal), SATII History 750, MathIIC 740, Writing 730. All 4's and 5's in AP's, mostly 5's.
EC's: Model United Nations (awards), NASA Space Settlement competition (leadership, and awards), key club.
college:
I got into Berkeley as a spring semester 2003 admit which I believe was due to my bad frosh grades but I spent Fall 2002 at Cal taking UC Extension classes that are almost identical to on campus classes that count as Berkeley classes that can count for major reqs.
I haven't got all my grades yet from the fall.
Best case scenario (cumulative average): 3.72/4.00
Worse Case scenario: 3.596, assuming I get two B's fall 2003 which I think is a small possibility.
I also took 18 units worth of classes at a local JC close to home between my junior year of high school to last summer with a 3.8+ average which I probably will submit as well.
Major: Intending to double major in business and poli sci but I intend to lose business if I go to Harvard or Stanford, or lose poli sci if I go to wharton.
My Haas Business undergrad upper division classes have been consistently A's, A-'s and A+'s.
My Poli Sci grades will either by 1 A-, 2A's at best, 1 A-, 2 B's, or 3 A-'s.
I've also taken a variety of breadth courses and lower division classes with grades ranging from B at worse, to A at best.
EC's at Berkeley: I work at a major bank as a part-time marketing research analyst, Model United Nations, I also dabbled in student government and Army ROTC in my freshmen year as well as a few other minor organizations and activities.
Letters of recs: For Harvard & Stanford: I can get one professor who graduated from stanford with a PhD in econ, and a poli sci professor who got his degree at London School of Econ and Free University in Berlin. For Wharton, I could get a professor who graduated with a PhD from there, and probably one other business professors.

This is everything I have thought through so far and pretty much basically lays out my entire academic career. I have yet to start preparing for this but I realize the Harvard transfer due date is 2/15, and its in march for the others, but I think Harvard is my top choice of the three so I'd like to know what other people here would thank and give me some input.

Thanks in advance,
Tony

Addenum: I also did not apply to any of these schools when I was a high school student. Either I felt like I had no chance or was uninterested.

By Barrons (Barrons) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 09:42 am: Edit

No chance

By Dstark (Dstark) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 11:39 am: Edit

Why do you want to transfer?

By Lokiminion (Lokiminion) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 01:00 pm: Edit

Barrons: Can you explain your rationale? Thanks. I'm curious.

Dstark: Its always been in the back of my mind. Berkeley certainly isn't a bad school but having lived in southern California most of my life, the "Bay Area" excluding Stanford in the south bay is a pretty crappy area. I figure if I'm going to suffer liberals, the rain, the cold, it'd be at some place nice like Harvard or Penn or get a better quality of life at Stanford. The weather is much better. As you can tell ,it probably isn't the biggest priority for me, but this is a one and only chance and I figure I shouldn't waste the opportunity.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page