Ahhhh! I got a C! Is it over?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Ahhhh! I got a C! Is it over?
By Rivers on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 05:00 pm: Edit

Ahhhhhh! I just got a C in chemistry! Will this completely destroy my chances at any ivyleague or ba/md programs? It didn't really hurt my gpa that much surprisingly. I still have a 3.8 gpa. As far as extra curriculars go I have really good ones. Please, will this C kill me?

By Liz (Liz) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 05:00 pm: Edit

no, 1 C will not kill you as long as all your other grades are good.

By Rivers on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 05:27 pm: Edit

can i still get in to an ivy or a ba/md program tho? that's the question

By good luck on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 06:28 pm: Edit

a C is commonly called the kiss of death u still have a chance if u get another then ur making out with death, don't fret not knowing ur stats i can't say anything.

By hey on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 06:29 pm: Edit

hey i got a C+ in history. You need good math/science grades for ba/md programs. I'm applying to alot of them, but i don't think i'll get in cause my GPA is pretty low (at a very tough school). A 3.8 is excellent and one C isn't going to keep you out of the programs or an ivy. Don't worry about it. Don't get more than one C though!

By Rivers on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 07:19 pm: Edit

thanx guyz! U really make me feel a little better! I think i was bout ready to kill myself i was sooooo upset! But I got a C in chemistry. That sux! How can I get into one of those programs. It's just a good thing that i took so many aps and did decently in all of them that my gpa isn't completely ruined. The thing is, i'm worried that this will destroy my class rank. I was ranked number two out of 700 students prior to the c, so this really makes me upset. I got c+ and i missed a B by exactly one point. How much does that hurt! Well i guess there's no use crying over spilled milk. Thanx guyz. Anymore insight? BTW, i'm did post my stats a while a go. I was the one who asked if harvard was remotely even possible, if you remember. Just a brief summary if you forgot:1400 SAT I (raised it) class prez 2 yrs, debate vp, span pres (newly elected), founded club for aspiring physicians, 500 hrs at nursing home, and 100 at hospital. Well those are just the important ones. I hope to God that my teacher well change her mind and give me the one point. I spoke w/ her today, and she said she'd try, but basically my chances are looking pretty bad. Well, once again thanx!

By Rivers on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 07:59 pm: Edit

anymore info guyz

By MIT Mom on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 08:39 pm: Edit

Rivers,
I don't think one grade of a C will "kill you." In a way, it makes you seem more human.

Is this a grade for a single marking period or a final semester grade? I believe colleges only look at final semester grades. Where I come from, the final semester grade is a composite of two quarter grades (worth 40% each) and the final exam grade (worth 20%). So if the grade is only for one quarter, and colleges only see the final semester grade, they'll never know you got one C.

Also, did you take the Chemistry SAT II? If you did reasonably well on that, it may balance out your chem grade.

Finally, don't totally bug your teacher about giving you the 1 extra point to raise your grade. I know that is one of the most frustrating things in the world that can happen to you -- missing a cut-off by one point. But it happens. Smile, ask your teacher nicely one time about the extra point, but then move on. It'll make you look better in her eyes in the long run.

Good luck!

By suggestions on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 09:37 pm: Edit

C in chem can hurt you.....chemistry is one of subjects BA/MD courses STRESS...

make sure you do well in ALL your other classes especially english/science...writing ability is also emphasized so make sure you do well on the writing sat 2...

and don't take the SAT II Chem if you got a C in the class...I got a 5 on AP Chem exam, A+ in the class, and only a 780...so it's tough...
Am I qualified to make suggestions?

I made HPME last year...tell me if that's good enough for you.

By Rivers on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 09:45 pm: Edit

that's awesome "suggestions!" Well, i'm just trying to get over it now and hope than maybe a miracle will send my teacher to change that dern grade, but as i said before, I can't cry over spilled milk. And i guess as MIT mom said, one C won't kill me...I hope. Well, i'm hoping that the 14 ap classes, my high class rank, my extra curriculars, and significant summer stuff will compensate for the C. I only hope.

By Rivers on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 09:47 pm: Edit

oh yea, by the way, this C that I got is the semester grade so yea, colleges do look at that. I actually had a B- in the class, but it was the exam that screwed me over. It makes me want to cry and scream and the same time knowing that had I only answered a mere three questions correctly, I would have had my B. Ahhh! Ok, i'll stop.

By mc on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 09:50 pm: Edit

no a C will hurt you...I got a C in my junior year in high school and it was the most devastating thing in my life. I applied to MIT, Yale, Stanford,and Boston college and didnt get into any one of them

i was class president
i had a 1430 SAT score and a 4.2 GPA
also here were my SAT2 scores
800. 800. 800. 800. 780. 760. 730. 720

I guess its almost impossible to get into those schools if you dont have all A's and some B's

they look at every final grade from every year you kno.

By MIT Mom on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 10:56 pm: Edit

I usually don't respond to the same thread twice, but in this case, I'll make an exception.....

I still say that getting one C in high school isn't going to "kill you." The thing that WILL kill you may be the self-imposed stress and anxiety that you may place on yourself as the result of some of these posts.

Look, getting into a BA/MD program is very, very difficult, at best. You can't say that, IF you don't get in, it was only due to that one, blasted, missed-it-by-1-point C. You are the total sum of your parts, and these parts don't ONLY include your grades, especially one low grade among many stellar ones.

I don't personally know anyone who has applied to a BA/MD program recently (although I've heard they're really tough to get into, even under the best of circumstances.) But I do know of wonderful kids who have been accepted into Ivies with one C included in a high school transcript of otherwise stellar grades.

I also know of people who have gone to Med School and have become wonderful doctors without getting there via an Ivy.

By lol on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 10:59 pm: Edit

thats nice MIT mom but no one really gives a shitt about what you have to say.

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 11:00 pm: Edit

"only 780"? lol

By Burberry (Burberry) on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 11:02 pm: Edit

there's a parents' forum, MITmom. we suggest you use it, thx.

By Rivers on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 04:04 pm: Edit

so it's pretty much impossible to get in to anywhere good, i guess? How badly do you all think that this will affect my class rank. I was ranked #2. What do ya think the C will do? Ahhh! Oh, geeze! I hate this!! :(

By jamu86 on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 04:15 pm: Edit

Rivers,
I'm also applying to the BA/MD programs next year. I'm a junior right now, and I've looked up a LOT of info on these programs. While the C is not the best thing to have for this program, there are ways to repare this. For example, try to work extra hard and get an A semester two, and then you will be showing immense improvement. Also, maintain a very good relationship w/ your chem teacher, and then they can even write your recomendation, which would balance out the C. Programs are not just looking at grades, improve your SAT a tad bit(1450+), or take the ACT, a lot of students do better on the ACT's. Also, BA/MD programs really are looking for commitment to medicine in their applicants. By working in the nursing home, you def. seem to have that. Try your best from now on...and let what happens happens. I know its easy for me to say, but I'm in chem right now and yeah its hard. So good luck applying...and I'll think you'll be fine(there are few who are perfect)

By Jam1 on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 04:40 pm: Edit

Yea, um, a C will definitely kill you. I don't want you to feel bad or anything, but I'm telling the truth. Once you get a C all your chances of ever getting in to an ivy league or BA/MD programs or even really good schools that aren't ivy are shot. Sorry. I really don't know what to say. It's too bad, u started out alright, but it just fell down thro. WHat happened? Furthermore, i know that college admission officers will frown upon the fact that your grades depreciated. Sorry. Maybe this is just a blessing in disguise. I mean to be a doctor take A LOT of hard work. And while you may enjoy the glory of it all, maybe it would suit you best to take up something else that you are better in. Well, i hope i haven't crushed ur dreams, although you prolly already know that it's over so i'm just repeating what you're already thinking. Anyways, think about doing something else. And believe you me, if i were a patient, i wouldn't go to a doctor who got a C in chem. Seriously. Good luck at something else!

By Rivers on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 04:48 pm: Edit

by the way if it helps my weigted gpa is a 5.8 and jam1: thanx i gess...more sadness more tears

By Jam1 on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 05:02 pm: Edit

O hey, I just wanted to confirm my previous statement. I just talked to my aunt about this (she's over right now) and she's a college counselor and she even said that a C won't make it to any elite schools. And you can forget about the BA/MD programs. Unless you found a cure for AIDS or something, then ur prolly in, but other than that. You're screwed. Sorry man. It's tough living that life.

By bumpersticker on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 05:18 pm: Edit

bleh

By Rivers on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 05:31 pm: Edit

ok "Jam1" i understand. anyone else agree

By Rivers on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 06:39 pm: Edit

My parents and my college counselor (yes i have one as well Jam1) said that I should fight this because i am really so close to a B. I'm afraid, and don't want to get on the teacher's bad side. I've already spoken to her about this matter many times, and now my parents have decided that they will speak with her now and try to get things "straightened out." Sigh... Should i still encourage my parents to fight this despite my failed attepts. I'm so confused. :(

By jamu86 on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 07:11 pm: Edit

Ummmmm....I think it would be a better idea to ask your counselor to speak to her cuz she'll prbly be more convincing and be more tactful.

By MarkyMark on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 08:00 pm: Edit

From what I understand, if you get a C after you've been accepted to a (good) college they might decide to reject you, but it depends on what college. So, I'm guessing that a C in the midyear report would not look good at all.

By walsh on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 08:10 pm: Edit

on the contrary, a friend of mine now attends U of Washington in St. Louis (not Ivy-league, but definetely a good school). she got a C in an honors class, and a few B's in the math/science subjects, but took all AP's/honors available. she also got $14k financial aid. my suggestion: write outstanding essays, have a good interview and recc's. and she wasn't URM, or legacy either.

By Desi (Desi) on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 12:55 pm: Edit

hey suggestions, I applied to HPME and got the interview..i really want to go there. yesterday i got an admissions packed to Northwestern University weinberg college of arts and sciences..but when and how do i hear about my HPME decision??

By Tennizpro06 (Tennizpro06) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 10:58 pm: Edit

So this thread's from forever ago.. but my situations similar. Only, my C was in Anatomy-independent study. Not even honors. I got a C for reasons I'd consider out of my control.. but anyways. I doubt there's a slot for excuses next to that C. How much will it hurt that this one C was in an supposedly easy class?? I've received a couple of B's... my unweighted overall is 3.86 so far and I'm a senior this year. So.. what do you think..

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page