My Chances on Above Average Universities?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: My Chances on Above Average Universities?
By Beramod (Beramod) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 02:37 am: Edit

I'm thinking about going to state universities to save money.
Thinking about:

University of Washington
U. of Illinois-UC
UC-LA
UC-Berkeley
Penn State University
Georgia institute of Tech

My Stats: (International Korean (though i lived in the US for 8 years)

Sat I : 1310 (590 V, 720 M) (just got it today, I can improve)

Sat II : Non yet

GPA : 3.80-ish

EC:
Beta club
Math club
Art club
**Plays the Viola** (First chair in my school)
Plays for the CYS (Carolina Youth Symphony)
Perfomed at Carnegie Hall
some other random clubs
lots of hours helping society (lol)
Best Artist in school (Recognized)

My chances?

By Beramod (Beramod) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 05:22 pm: Edit

Help. Bumpity Bump

By Sungwoojj15 (Sungwoojj15) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 05:26 pm: Edit

is international korean means you came from korea 8 yrs ago?

By Beramod (Beramod) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 05:30 pm: Edit

Hmmmmm
No. Actually I came here when i was 6, and lived for 3 years.
Went back to korea, lived 5 years, came back to america, and currently about 4 years. Total 8 when I'm a senior.

Any chance?

By Beramod (Beramod) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 05:44 pm: Edit

Help

By Beramod (Beramod) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 05:56 pm: Edit

C'mon

By Beramod (Beramod) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Bump

By Amyzintha (Amyzintha) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

Well, ur stats are a little weak. Anywayz, are u a senior now or going to be? Cause, I would suggest to make ur EC a lil stronger and retake SAT if u can... Also, how are ur essays and ur recommendations? Did u win any awards? Being better presented of urself will not hurt ur chances :). (But keep note: I'm only a sophomore, but my older brother is a senior and going through this stressful moment, and I'm helping)

By Beramod (Beramod) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

I'm a Junior....
I can retake SAT about 4 more times, and the score above is my first time SAT score, and to make the matter worse, I had a cold and coughed chronically during the exam. (ppl wanted to stone me) :D

I'm confident I can raise it to above 1400+

Essays i don't worry about now (Though I consider myself a unique writer and got my poems publised.

Any more comments? I really don't think the schools i'm trying to apply are not that hard to get in, maybe with the exception of UCB and UCLA (Bane for me to be an AsIAn)

Any more comments please?

By Subparasian (Subparasian) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 08:20 pm: Edit

Your EC's are weak... fix it.

Since you said you were in some band in Carolina, UCLA and UCB will be longshots, despite whatever grades/scores you get.

Penn State is a gimme.

Depending on which college you apply to, UIUC will depend. If college of engineering, it will be a lot tougher... but you can do it if you raise those scores and keep up with the grades.

Washington and GA Tech are similar but reaches at this point.

Basically, get that 1400, more EC's(hospital, more clubs, job, etc), and stay on top of your grades. Good luck!

By Iluvlucy (Iluvlucy) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 09:25 pm: Edit

If you're a girl Georgia Tech is pretty easy. Actually, I heard it's easy even if you're a guy. It only gets rough after you actually get in.

By Mjl86 (Mjl86) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

Everyone can get into UW. I came from a school in washington, and everyone in my school either made it into ivy/little ivy or UW

By Beramod (Beramod) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 10:06 pm: Edit

Subparasian...
I really don't get your post.
Just because I'm in a **Symphony Orchestra** lessens my chances at UCLA and UCB? Can you explain why that is?

And what does "Gimme" mean? No chance at all?

Please don't say UW is a reach... omg I feel humiliated. (>.<)

But I appreciate all of your comments. Thanks

MORE MORE MORE MORE!

By Mjl86 (Mjl86) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 07:54 pm: Edit

UW a reach, that is risible!!! The average SAT is in the 500s for verbal and Math. Of course there is always of chance of getting rjected, but I would say you are in.

You ECs are not weak, they are unique if not impressive. Who here has played at Carnegie Hall? I would emphasize your musical talent and write an essay about how playing at C H changed your life, if it did in any way.

Helping society? it sounds like a fictitious club made up by little kids...

I think this is too late for you, but with your stats you should have applied to private. You think you save money by going to state, but that is not necessarily true. Private, well endowed universities provide grants for people who can not pay. They factor in your parental contribution, our contribution, loans and fill in the rest with grants (free money).

You will probably make it into all the school, but I'm not sure about UCLA and UCB. UCLA only acpts 3% out of state
UCB I think either accepts 7 or 9, I forgot.

There are other great public schools that you need to quickly apply to that are top tier. U Michigan and UVa. UVa is really hard to get into, 2/3 of the kids they accept are from ita own state.

Do not go to Georgia Tech. I read somewhere that students there smoke a lot of pot... not it is a bad thing lol. The campsus is ugly to say the least. Have you seen pictures? have yo visited? The dorms are terrible. Do not be fooled by the good looking dorms when you bunk over there overnight, because if you actually go, they will put you in another ugly building.

Hope this helps you.

By Beramod (Beramod) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Thanks alot mjl86. Yours was the best by far.
But I have one question.
Why is it too late to apply to private? I haven't applied to any yet. :D
I just begun my second semester Junior year. I'm doing great (3.9 GPA so far unWeighted)
I would appreciate if you explain why it is too late for private.
And btw, since you post like you know something, do you know a top college that is strong in Computer Graphics/ Art department?

Thanks

By Mjl86 (Mjl86) on Tuesday, January 06, 2004 - 09:57 pm: Edit

ok you are a junior, i thought you were a senior. k nevermind. carnegie mellon, mit. basically all strong computer science schools... university of washington

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page