Black Student's Chances: Please evaluate

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Black Student's Chances: Please evaluate
By Workinhard (Workinhard) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 12:07 am: Edit

Yale and Duke:

Black/Female/Florida
4.0 uw GPA and 4.76 weighted
IB diploma Candidate
1400 SAT I (710-v,690-m)
SAT II's: 710(span),700(writing),690(lit)
National Achievement Semi-finalist
2 years Varsity Bball
Mu alpha Theta
Nat Honor Society
Span club prez
Newsletter reporter
Student Global Aids Campaign
Nursing Home Volunteer
ESOL tutor
International Language Award
Blue Knight (top senior voted by faculty)
Awards from several classes
Published Poetry
Venture's Scholar
Gatorade Will to Win Athlete
Amazing teacher recs on academics/leadership
pretty Good essays

Misc: Parents never married,attended school that was bad academically for 1 year in rural GA,lived in unstable household when mom was married for 13 years- followed by divoroe

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 12:23 am: Edit

in.

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 02:23 am: Edit

i would bet my money that you'd be accepted.

how did you get your poetry published?

By Workinhard (Workinhard) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 02:29 am: Edit

I submitted works in a few contests and have won some of those as a result it was published in several different anthologies (ie through: poetry.com,famous poets, and celebration of young poets)

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 03:33 am: Edit

i think those are scams.

By Tkoplaya1 (Tkoplaya1) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

Where in Florida? (Tallahasseean herre) I'm guessin down south Bcuz you go to a "big" school (compared to mine).

I think you have good chances at both schools (better at Duke).

Oh yeah, I'm a nat"l achievement semifinalist too. Can"t wait to find out if I"m a finalist. DiD you go to the UF outstanding african_american scholars thing last summer?

Good Luck and keep "WorkinHard,"
Represent FOR the FLA.

i"m baC

TKO

By Peachieva (Peachieva) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Workinhard:
I'm also a black female w/ identical stats who's going to Stanford next year. I'd say Duke definitely, and Yale probably. Good luck to you.

By Workinhard (Workinhard) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 02:21 pm: Edit

TKO I'm actually from horsetown:Ocala.No, I didn't attend that UF program becuase I travelled abroad this summer.

I think I made like two typos on an activities essay, I hope they don't think I'm a moron,lol

Peachieva: U do ED for Stanford? I almost applied there but thats a heck of a plane ride home, so I thought I stay on the East Coast.

I also applied to Univ of Fla,that's my safety. They're also offering 100% of the cost to attend. So I figure worst case scenario, I don't get into yale or duke and go there for a year or two and then try to transfer to another school

By Workinhard (Workinhard) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

TKO Where have u applied to? WHat are your stats and What was your PSAT score? I wonder how many semi-finalists are from FL, because my friend and I were the only two from our county.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 02:32 pm: Edit

From what I can figure out, making finalist is virtually automatic if one submits the paperwork and has a 3.5 or higher average (I am not sure if this is the weighted or on weighted average) plus SAT scores of 1200 or higher. The contents of the essay aren't particularly imporant.

By Workinhard (Workinhard) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 02:53 pm: Edit

Northstarmom: How would u rate my chances for Duke or Yale? Any advice in general about which to attend or your experiences,etc?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 03:34 pm: Edit

I will be surprised if you aren't accepted to both. You are a URM with IB (rare for URMs), high gpa and a high class rank. While your SATs are middling for Yale, they still are clearly within the range of students who can be successful at Yale and at Duke. There also are only a couple of hundred black students in the country scoring as high on the SAT as you have.

Sigh...I am sorry you haven't applied to my alma mater, because you sound like a wonderful person and I'd love to see you at Harvard.

I have been only briefly on Duke's campus, so am mainly familiar with it by reputation, including by knowing some alumni. My superficial knowledge of it indicates it has many good things going for it including the fact that it has been doing an excellent job recently of attracting lots of outstanding black students. It also sounds like an excellent place for Floridians to attend who want to go to a highly competitive college, but don't want to have lots of snow and ice. That may seem like something trivial to mention, but it is important to select a place where one would enjoy living for 4 years.

I visited Yale about 13 years ago when I recruited students for summer internships. What stood out to me was how supportive the students were of each other. I also was impressed by the emphasis on undergraduate education that Yale appears to provide.

What did not impress me was the very dangerous environment immediately outside of the campus gates. I stayed in a Holiday Inn a few blocks from campus. There was so much security that I felt like I was in a fortress. Students also insisted on walking me to and campus. They did not seem to be trying to brown nose, but seemed genuinely concerned about my safety.

I have not been back to Yale since, so do not know whether things have improved in the community that surrounds it. That would be something for you to check out. I happen to like big cities, and am not a wimp when it comes to living in them. At the same time, though, I wouldn't want to attend a college where once I left campus, I had to be constantly on guard about my safety.

Other reflections on your application: Just in case you don't get into Yale or Duke, I hope you applied to some good match schools, including those that offer strong merit aid. Yale will give aid up to the level of financial need, which means your parents still would have to pay. Duke has need and merit aid, but you still might have to pay to go there.

If a student gets a full ride offer from a flagship state school, some parents will pressure the student to accept that over selecting a better college where the student would not get a full ride. This may not be due to selfishness or unsophistication, but may be due to the fact that black families tend to have less savings and more responsibilities for extended families than do white families with similar incomes.

While you say you could go to UF for 2 years and then could transfer to a different school, do be aware that transferring to a better school is not always an option. It also may be hard to get need or merit-based aid as a transfer student.

Some good financial safeties might be out of state public universities with strong diversity and merit aid programs, and liberal arts colleges with the same. Check out schools in the second tier and in bottom 25 of the top tier.

Also look for outside merit aid.

What do you plan to major in? If it's something like science, agriculture, journalism or business, there's a fair amount of merit aid available for students planning to major in those areas.

By Workinhard (Workinhard) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

I'm really undecided about my major,thus far I'm leaning towards business. Whatever it may be, I will definetly be considering Harvard as a graduate school :)

Luckily, my parents encoruage me to pursue my dreams in spite of the seemingly astronomical costs. My father is adamant about me getting the best education possible, so If I'm accepted I will definitely go Yale or Duke. I'll be applying for a lot of outside scholarships, so hopefully some one those will come through. I will NOT be deterred by finances. Where there's a will, there's a way, and I've got a heck of a will,lol. But fortunately I will more than likely be able to afford my education through a wonderful and giving family.

By Workinhard (Workinhard) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 04:18 pm: Edit

The Nat Achievement status has been very helpful: I've been offered full rides to FAMU,Howard, UF,and A host out of out of state publics and privates. I selected UF because they are tier 1 and within the top 5O universities (US NEWS)in the nation. It's a good school for Nat achievement scholars becuase of the merit aid and also I believed they are ranked 2nd in enrollment of nat achievment scholars in the country, right behind Harvard.

By Shsjonb (Shsjonb) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 05:03 pm: Edit

Workin Hard: I'm in a similar situation as you with the outside scholarships. Specifically what outside scholarships are you looking into? What do they require?

By Workinhard (Workinhard) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Ron Brown, Jackie Robinson, Elks Foundation, National Urban League,etc. I would recommend going to fastweb.com they have a lot of good ones and also checkin in with your guidance counselor or if u have anyone that works with scholarships in ur school. I think pretty much all publics have merit aid, so do alot of privates. I don't believe the ivies do.However like Duke and Emory,etc offer a limited amount of merit aid.

By Workinhard (Workinhard) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit

P.s. most them require gpa, test scores, sometimes an essay, recs, and some may ask to look at financial info

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 06:25 pm: Edit

where else are you applying?

By Peachieva (Peachieva) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 06:48 pm: Edit

Workinhard:
I did SCEA for Stanford. it's like ED except that it's not binding. I'm also applying for the same scholarships w/ the exception of the Elks Foundation.

Northstarmom:
Do you know of any outside merit-based scholarships for African American students besides the ones Workinhard has already mentioned?

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 07:10 pm: Edit

United Negro College Fund is another.

By Shsjonb (Shsjonb) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

Do any of you know anyone who's recieved the full tuition scholarship for blacks at Duke? Their website says they give out 15-20 of them, but I would think that most of the blacks with 1500+ SAT Is would be sucked up by the Ivies. Also, does one automatically get $6,000/year for the Jackie Robinson?
To Workin Hard: I applied to Duke also and from what I've read you'll probably get the full-tuition. I have slightly better scores than you (1460, 800IIC, 780IC, 730Writing)but much lower grades,rank(3.65UW,25/360). If I don't get the Duke scholarship, hopefully I'll get the Ervin from Wash. U. Hopefully we'll both get enough in outside sources that we can choose to go wherever we want. If you really think about it it's not as hard as everyone makes it seem to go to college for free. Good Luck. One

By Shsjonb (Shsjonb) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 07:15 pm: Edit

MZHang23-Don't you have to go to an HBCU to get a scholarship from the UNCF though?

By Workinhard (Workinhard) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 02:26 am: Edit

Shsjnob: What state are u from and what's ur academic courseload?

By Amnestykid (Amnestykid) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 03:30 am: Edit

hey workinhard...african american male here accepted to stanford...similar stats...and also applying to similar outside scholarships. :)

which others are you goin for?

By Peacemakeriv (Peacemakeriv) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 05:19 am: Edit

darn it, i wish i was black

By Tkoplaya1 (Tkoplaya1) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 07:33 am: Edit

WorkinHard: I'm applying to Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Emory, Duke, COlumbia and a few safeties. I can't remember my exact PSAT but I think the index was in the upper 190s. I got a 1370 (700M 670V) on the SAT but I'm retaking in Jan. hoping for a 1430+. Unweighted GPA 3.75 and 3.86 w/o freshman year. Ranked 5 out of 120 (I know it's small). I have decent ECs, good teacher recs from techers that have known me for 3+ years, and what I think are pretty good essays. Only 4 people in my county got semi-finalist and the other 3 go to the IB school up the street from my school (Still kicking myself for not going there).

Do you go to Vanguard? If so, we (the Seminoles) might play you guys in some sports.

Well, I'm rootin for you at Yale and Duke. And good luck with the scholarships. I've had a week of relaxation after college apps and now it's back to trying to get that money.

peace

tko

By Shsjonb (Shsjonb) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 09:11 am: Edit

I'm from Illinois and I've taken 4/6 of the APs offered at my school. This year: AP Calc AB, AP Lit and Comp., Honors Physics(no AP offered), French 4(No AP offered), Honors Music Theory, Jazz Band, Band

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page