Athletes and SAT scores

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Athletes and SAT scores
By Swimmer on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 12:36 pm: Edit

How important are high scores if I am a Division I level swimmer and want to get into upper tier schools?

By hi on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 12:53 pm: Edit

probably not very important-if ur talking about ives, i bet u'd only need like a 1200 if ur really good

By your local mayor on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 01:27 pm: Edit

Try looking at www.ncaa.com

There should be some information about SAT/GPA combination requirements. Basically, you have to have around a 1200 and a 2.5 to roughly a 4.0 and a 4.0 to be qualified for Division I athletics. I'm just running this off my head, the actual requirements you can find at the NCAA's website. Later.

By your local mayor on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 01:27 pm: Edit

Try looking at www.ncaa.com

There should be some information about SAT/GPA combination requirements. Basically, you have to have around a 1200 and a 2.5 to roughly a 850 and a 4.0 to be qualified for Division I athletics. I'm just running this off my head, the actual requirements you can find at the NCAA's website. Later.

By swimmer on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 01:32 pm: Edit

My swim times are close to the top of the current Ivy rosters, psat was in 1140 10th grade and 1110
11th grade. I think I could get up to the 1200s. I know the Ivies don't offer scholarships and most of the top swimmers are looking for a full ride- i figured this may give me an advantage in getting in.

By bump on Monday, January 06, 2003 - 04:36 pm: Edit

hmmm

By your local mayor on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 02:26 pm: Edit

yeah, i hope it all works out for ya.

By athlete on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 05:15 pm: Edit

bump

By Tonymon12 (Tonymon12) on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 04:15 pm: Edit

If you at least have a 1000 SAT score tahn you can qualify

By ss on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 04:54 am: Edit

what about the SAT II ???
will 800 800 (MathII && Physics) + 550 Writing (I'm sucks at wrting u know, i'm not studying in US ) fine for the athlete????

By ss on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 04:55 am: Edit

btw, I got 800 M + 550 V in SAT I and 3.98 UW

By $.02 on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 06:38 am: Edit

Here's some advice: Make a tape of yourself swimming in meets and a little bio of all your swimming accomplishments, and then send the tape, bio, and a letter explaining how excited you are to be a part of the "pick your ivy mascot" tradition and help "pick you ivy school" win the ivy league swimming championship. If one of the coaches gives you a call...try to arrange a visit to the university and ask him what it's going to take to be a part of "pick your ivy school" swim team. If the coach says "just apply and see what happens", you are in. Now how easy was that? Just like when you're swimming, be persistent, focused, and enthusiastic about admissions and good things will happen.

By bump on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 11:50 pm: Edit

bump

By jestel2253 on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 12:06 am: Edit

dont listen to $.02. He's clearly an idiot. he couldnt even get into prison if he applied.

By another ath on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 05:17 am: Edit

"just apply and see what happens"
the coach had told me sth like that too ....

By $.02 on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 05:52 am: Edit

jestel...I'm just passing along info that has worked...If you're a legit D1 prospect and show some interest to the coaches (and have some sort of academic background)...odds are they'll get in. Of course they can't guarantee they're in but admissions will listen to a coache's request. Sending highlight tapes is a normal strategy for student-athletes trying to get a scholarship...in the ivies though, athletes are trying to get into the school...not necessarily a scholly.

By again on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 07:30 am: Edit

how is my situation if the coach told me that "you are #1 recruit in that sport" ???

By $.02 on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 08:10 am: Edit

again,
if you are a coaches #1 priority as a recruit, you should get into the school if you academically qualify.

Getting into an ivy league school based on your athletic abilities should not be some sort of shocking realization...Harvard will take a kid with the following stats: "3.5 gpa, 1300 sat, potential to dominate Yale on the football field for the next four years"

It's a fact.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page