Should I even bother applying to UPenn?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Should I even bother applying to UPenn?
By Jadesark (Jadesark) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 05:45 pm: Edit

I've always wanted to go there, I basically live right on the campus, but before today I knew I had no chance at all. I had a 1260 SAT score, but now I have a 1410. I know I still have almost no chance, and I'm wondering if I should stay up all night doing all of the essays in the application and waste $70.

Race- African American

SAT 1- 1410 (720M, 690V)

Sat 2- Physics:630, Writing:620, Math1c:670

Weighted Average-99%

Rank- 151/563

AP courses- Physics (11th), Environmental Science(12th)

Honors- Spanish 3 (11th), Alg 2(11th)

Courses this year- Social Science, PreCalc,
Forensic Science, Environmental Science AP, English 4

ECs- Varsity Tennis:10th-12th, People for Animal Welfare and Survival (secretary):10th-12th, Student Environmental Action Society (10th-12th)

Volunteer- Phila Public Library (Teen Book Critic) 40 hours a year

Job as a tennis counselor 10th-11th grade in the Summer 30 hrs a week

By Dstark (Dstark) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 05:49 pm: Edit

If you really want to go there, apply. This is your shot. You won't get in if you don't apply. Do it.

By Libsters (Libsters) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 05:52 pm: Edit

It never hurts to try = ) If you really want to go, I'd say give it your best shot! And for the essays you can adapt other essays, esp. the Pg. 217 one. The worst that could happen is that you'd get rejected if you apply, and thats 70 dollars lost. But if you get accepted then = ). But if you never try and see ... then nothing can come out of it. On the other hand, if you really don't care for UPenn, I'd say don't waste the $70, esp. if someone else is pressuring you to apply. If you end up applying, hopefully getting your hands on $70 isn't a problem. Good Luck = )

By Youpunchedme (Youpunchedme) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 05:54 pm: Edit

of course

By Jerseygirl05 (Jerseygirl05) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 05:55 pm: Edit

I agree with Dstark. If the college intersets you I say go for it. Your minority status maybe will help. Way to go on the score improvement!

By Tellmewhy (Tellmewhy) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Time is not on your side, but considering everything its unfair to say you don't have a decent chance.

By Jadesark (Jadesark) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 09:35 pm: Edit

Hmm..ok, I'm going to try and apply. Hopefully I can finish these essays on time. They're going to be pretty bad though.

By Kingdvl (Kingdvl) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 11:42 pm: Edit

How do you get recommendation letters and school reports in relatively on time? A couple days late is fine, but if its going to be weeks later like it probably will, I wouldn't bother.

By Jadesark (Jadesark) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 01:16 am: Edit

I have reccomendation letters from the common application, can't I just use them? And I think I can send my school report on Jan 5th. which is when we go back to school. I hope that's not way too late. :/

By Spiffybrownboy (Spiffybrownboy) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 02:31 am: Edit

You don't have "almost no chance." That's what I thought in my situation; I was wrong. Go for it!

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 09:09 am: Edit

It's not like you're a shoe-in, but a 10% (for example) chance is better than a 0% chance.. So why don't you just apply. If you get in then good for you, if not then don't go crazy about it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page