ATTENTION ALL PRE-MED EXPERTS

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: ATTENTION ALL PRE-MED EXPERTS
By Pwiddles (Pwiddles) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 01:35 pm: Edit

O.K Here's the thing. I want to major in pre-med and eventually go to Harvard or Columbia for Med school. For now, this school seems to be the one that is going to give me the most aid(almost all of it being paid)! The only problem is that it is not a highly ranked school. It is actually less selective. Do you think I am hurting my chances of going into med school by going to a lower key school for undergraduate. I've alsways heard that it does not matter where you go for undergraduate (as long as it is not a community school). Is that true. If I do really well here and do well on the MCATS do I have a shot at those schools mentioned above??

By Collegematerial (Collegematerial) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 01:19 pm: Edit

Yes you do. GPA and MCATs are most important (plus interview) for admission to med school. It's somewhat true that undergrad doesn't really matter. However, more top notch schools like Harvard, Yale, or Stanford may prepare you for MCATs and other things better than an average school. Also, you may get an additional look in the med school admissions process if you graduate from a more renowned school. However, if you work hard and have a great all-around resume, you should have a decent shot at Columbia and Harvard med.

By Pwiddles (Pwiddles) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 11:59 am: Edit

Hey thanks for your help. I am just really nervous about getting into the schools that I want to go to for undergraduate. Many people have told me that I cant get in. My gpa was too low(88.9 weighted). I ama total wreck.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page