Summer Programs for the not so rich

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Summer Programs for the not so rich
By Miamiman (Miamiman) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 01:07 am: Edit

i see ALOT of ppl here posting on all their summer programs they'll be attending in Harvard, Columbia or what not, and ive checked some of them out and i found out they can run you about 8,000 for 4 weeks (i wasnt surprised), so my question is : Does anyone here have any good recommendations of programs that are cheap or programs that will lower prices for you to attend?? (im looking for anything lower than 1500)

yeah i know it sounds it funny, but any recommendation will be appreciated

thanks

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 01:16 am: Edit

There's lots of other cool things you can do that cost nothing or you can even profit from. This past summer, I had a paid internship at the National Museum of Natural History (near my house, in DC), I got enough money from that to pay for my airfare and food to go to England where I volunteered on an archaeological dig with Oxford University. There's tons of stuff out there, you just have to take the time to look (and be creative). Believe me though I spent a long time looking before I found the cool stuff I did (but I did end up earning more money than I had to spend, which was cool... bought some new speakers for my car ;P)

By Kbyws37 (Kbyws37) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 06:19 pm: Edit

Governor's school.. depending on which state you live in.

Quest scholars.. but it's VERY selective.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

IMO the best programs are the ones that you create for yourself. This could be, for instance, by pursuing an interest in a particular field by creating an unpaid internship for yourself. You can lay the groundwork for this by contacting people in your area who are doing the kind of work that you'd like to do eventually. Ask if they'd be willing to let you shadow them at work or meet with you at work for a short period.

Show up dressed professionally and after having done background research on the field and on the person. If you seem hardworking and very interested in the field, you might be able to use that as an opportunity to line up a paid or unpaid work experience with them or with their work associates.

Lots of adults are happy to help out students in this kind of way -- if the students are enthusiastic, responsible and bright.

You also can do things such as shadow people at work or take classes at your local community college.

Incidentally, opportunities that you create for yourself also are more impressive to colleges than are pricey opportunities paid for by parents.

By Nyapplicant (Nyapplicant) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

i went to the university of iowa's secondary student training program (cost 1350 i think, although they're generous with aid if you need it). It's a small program, 17 people came this year, and you spent 6 weeks conducting research on a project that is usually of your choosing, with a faculty mentor (mine was a graduate professor :)) to aid you and teach you whatever you don't understand. It's a lot of time with a small amount of people, and iowa city is dead during the summer so you might get bored. But you'll get a nice project you can put together for intel or any other science fairs. google it if you are interested, or you can e-mail me (in profile) for more info.

By Midwesterner (Midwesterner) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 10:52 pm: Edit

Have you looked at this page?
http://edward4.mit.edu/highschool/contents.php

Check out some of the programs in your area of interest. And don't be shy about asking for financial aid if you need it.

By Libsters (Libsters) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 11:34 pm: Edit

Internships are cool ... I agree with Northstarmom. This summer I had an internship at a local District Court. You should really try getting one although I found it very difficult to do so if youdon't have connections ANYWHERE (like me) --- however it all really depends on what you are interested in.

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 11:38 pm: Edit

Governor's School, if your state offers it, ought to be free. Also, Questscholars in California. Questscholars is HIGHLY selective though; they want people who come from households with combined incomes of under $40,000. On the other hand, 90% of their members go on to Harvard or Stanford. Also check with local universities and colleges, they usually offer some sort of free summer program. Remember though, that anything free will have a pretty selective admissions process.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 11:46 pm: Edit

I refuse to pay for expensive summer programs. Just in principle. So my kids have to earn their way into programs or find local, community, state, paid ones. The suggestions on this post look pretty good to me. My son in performing arts uses the summer to earn money and audition for paying jobs and, boy, did he hit the payload a couple of times--got his equity card and took some chances he never would have, had I paid for a summer theatre program. College bound kids worked and took cheap community college courses to get a leg up on premed courses. Other son focused on coaching at summer programs, keeping himself fit and on earning money.
May change my tune with the "littles" because they all have learning, behavioural and emotional issues that money may impact. Plus I have a more money now and can almost afford to do this. Always look to see what is availble free and low cost before spending the big bucks.

By Nycdebater (Nycdebater) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 01:23 am: Edit

Im trying to get into the rockefeller university summer research program and the stony brook one..both are free.there are many research programs that are free......just gotta search..i think for rockefeller u also get like 2000 bucks i think and for stony a maybe 200 dollar stipend i 4got.....2000?...crazy right ..i think cuz u doin a lot of the phds boring work for them..but u learn a lot..

By Nyapplicant (Nyapplicant) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 02:39 am: Edit

my sister got a 500$ stipend in her day, but that's only for the more selective simons program. Stonyb rook's less selective program was, to my serious dismay (i had to travel al the way to farking iowa because of it), cancelled last year -_-.

By Studiousvegetar (Studiousvegetar) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 02:32 pm: Edit

Although not very intersesting, what about staying around home and talking classes at a local CC or college? You could get a head start and save $$ on your education. You may even be able to work at the same time. good luck.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page