Lack of ECs...am I a hopeless case?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Lack of ECs...am I a hopeless case?
By Snurp (Snurp) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 09:16 pm: Edit

I'm currently a sophomore at a science magnet school. Since we have a huge workload and get out at 4:30 every day, I feel like I have no time for extracurriculars. I'm an active member in our school's (small) MDA chapter and I volunteer at a hospital on Saturdays. I also swim (not competitively) and I'm in the school orchestra and choir, but I'm not distinguished in any of them. I'm planning on applying for Columbia's SHP, joining the yearbook staff, and entering a regional science fair but I'll only have the time and resources in junior year. Is it too late for me to start working on ECs then?

If all else fails, would my grades help? somehow? My GPA is a 3.99 on a 4.0 scale (we have no A+s here), my PSAT score was a 230, and as of now I have As in all my classes. My school doesn't rank so I have no idea where I stand.

So be honest...am I a hopeless case?

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 09:38 pm: Edit

You still have time, join stuff now, you're only a sophomore. Really, try and fit something you enjoy into your schedule. Even community service can be an EC, just spend a lot of free time doing it. Tho, a friend of mine got into Harvard EA with absolutely no ECs whatsoever. (However, he's a genius, 1600/3x800/highest GPA our school has ever had, he took like 20 AP classes... but still, it's an example. ;P)

By Snurp (Snurp) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 09:04 pm: Edit

Yeah, I'm thinking of asking my bio teacher if there's any internship opportunities available for me over the summer. I just don't know if I seem like I'm taking my extracurriculars seriously. For example, since I started violin late (around 8th grade) there's no way I could make the regional orchestra. I also tried running for class secretary last year, but since I didn't know as many people as the incumbent did, I lost. I think I'm really dedicated in what I do...I don't know how I can prove that without earning leadership positions and recognition. It seems a bit late for me to start working on them.

By Judeezy36 (Judeezy36) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 11:52 am: Edit

Dude,
your EC's look pretty stellar for a sophomore right now actually... you are obviously dedicated to music, just try to join a club or two, and keep up with the community involvement

By Reba616 (Reba616) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 09:55 pm: Edit

Hey man - as long as you're active in just a couple of things, you'll be fine. Dedication over quantity, I mean it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page