Please! Rate my Stats!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: Please! Rate my Stats!
By JSwanson on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 08:44 pm: Edit

Hi I'm a highschool senior from a fairly prestigious private school in Hawaii, and I recently sent in applications to the following schools: Amherst, Swarthmore, Middlebury, Brown, Dartmouth, and U of Chicago. My stats are as follows.

SAT I: 690 Verbal, 680 Math
National Merit Commended Scholar
SAT II's: 770 US History, 680 Writing, 650 Math IC
AP's: 5 US History, 4 AP Comp
Top 5% of class
Member of Cum Laude Society
Tutor to ESL students
Teaching a beginning Spanish class to 3rd graders at a local elementary school
Highschool Newspaper Editor
4 year volunteer for a Children's Justice Center (here they do forensic interviews for kids who have
been sexually or physically abused)
3 year hospital emergency room volunteer
Started a Yoga program afterschool in my junior year (30 kids joined in the first year)
Started a business selling faux sunglasses
Won 4 awards last year-Algebra II Trig. Award, Composition Award (given to best writer in the
junior class), 1st place in school short story competition, Young Writer's scholarship to attend the
Maui Writers Conference on Maui.

There is more, but this is most of it.

I wrote one of my essays on my spiritual faith (Hindu) and on being a vegetarian. I wrote another essay on overcoming Bell's Palsy, a very rare syndrome I randomly contracted and overcame. My teacher reccomendations are excellent and so is the college counselor report. I also has a letter from the lady in charge of the Children's Justice Center.

I appreciate any comments.

By good shot, I think on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 08:53 pm: Edit

Well, I'm not by any means authoritive, but I would say you have a good chance at those schools. You've done a lot of cool looking stuff and you have decent scores. But hey, its kind of luck of the draw with some of these top schools. I'm applying to Brown and Dartmouth too, so may be, God willing, we'll see each other there! Well, best of luck!

By indiachik on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 09:24 pm: Edit

I had similar scores and I am a indian and I got into amherst ED. i scored a little higher on the SAT and on my SATII but I mean if your wrote a really good essay I am sure you will get in...GOOD LUCK!!!

hey did you take the ACTs? that might help too

By back that ass up on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 09:29 pm: Edit

JSwanson, you have any backups?

By indiachik on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 09:48 pm: Edit

woops sorry didnt mean to indicate that all indians are hindu or that all hindus are indian, what i mean to say is that i am a hindu indian...just wanted to clear that up

By JSwanson on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 03:19 pm: Edit

Trinity and Grinnell are my backups...and I am white.

By reader on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 03:25 pm: Edit

Hey JSwanson --I thought you were going to Bowdoin.

By JSwanzzz on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 09:57 pm: Edit

I am, I was just seeing what people would say without knowing.

By vuat on Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 11:27 pm: Edit

trinity university or trinity college?

By JSwanson on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 02:39 am: Edit

college

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page