Congressional Award? please respond

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Congressional Award? please respond
By Reject (Reject) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 05:03 pm: Edit

Does this carry any prestige? or just a stupid volunteer thing?

By Studyguy346 (Studyguy346) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 08:47 pm: Edit

i do am interested in the answer to this question.. our school has told us about the award.. but do colleges really look at the award as prestigious?

By Studyguy346 (Studyguy346) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 11:05 pm: Edit

plz respond.
bump.

By Wrinklefiber (Wrinklefiber) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

Well, is it like an actual award from Congress, with real seals and such, or is it a paper slip you and half your class got?

I know someone at my school who got a CA State Assembly resolution awarding him for doing a few things. It was mostly for the political connections he's gotten for working in an assemblymember's office.

By Collegebnd (Collegebnd) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 12:40 am: Edit

I received the Congressional Award last year (the gold certificate). It is unlike other awards in that you actually sign up to take the "challenge," creating goals for yourself in the areas of community service, physical fitness, personal developement, and expedition/exploration. There are certain criteria to meet for each level of the award (bronze, silver, gold certificates, then bronze, silver, gold medals). It's pretty simple- if you meet the criteria and fill out all of the paperwork, then you'll get the award. If you are planning on signing up, do it ASAP, because you can't actually count any service hours you do BEFORE registering. Also, the awards have a minimum time to be completed, so you can't just complete 100 hours of service, etc. in two weeks and expect to get an award. You also have to pick a "mentor" (at my school it is our service learning officer), who will fill out necessary forms, verify your activities, and write about your progress in each of the areas.

In my opinion, the criteria is not that hard to meet. It's mostly service. However, there is a TON of paperwork. They ask you to do a lot of reflecting, specific goal planning, and journal keeping.

I have no idea how colleges feel about this award. However, it IS legit, with seals and everything. I can only imagine they look at it favorably, because it does involve a significant time commitment, tons of service, and lots of things that colleges would look for anyway.

If you're interested, the Congressional Award has a website- www.congressionalaward.org that lists specific critera, registration info, etc.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page