*****GPA QUESTION*****

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: *****GPA QUESTION*****
By Pwiddles (Pwiddles) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 12:43 pm: Edit

Is a 3.0 considered an 85? I have a 86 average and was wondering what my grade would be in gpa terms. Can anyone help? Also, most of the schools I want to go to say that the reccommended minimum gpa is a 3.0 (what is that)? Am I in trouble? BE HONEST!

By Drusba (Drusba) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 01:21 pm: Edit

Cannot really tell because do not know what your 85 actually means in your own system. For many school systems an 85 average (if 100 is perfect) would be a 3.0 (or B average), although at some it could actually be a little lower or higher. For example, many schools consider and A grade to be 4, an A- to be 3.66, a B+ to be 3.33, and a B to be 3 and that B would be comparable to an 85 score on a 100 point system. Note, you also need to consider what the college might believe is your real average -- for example many redo your GPA by finding out what it is with only college prep courses being considered -- math, English, language, social studies, and lab sciences. Thus when they say "minimum" they may be talking about GPA for that core group of courses excluding any others (like all those A's one may have gotten in Phys Ed). Also, is that 85 weighted or unweighted? Weighted means it has built in extra points because a course was honors or AP and unweighted removes those extra points. When some colleges speak of a minimum they are referring to unweighted GPA while others are referring to weighted.

When a school says the "required" minimum is 3, you obviously need at least that, when it says the "recommended" minimum is 3, you either should have at least that or have something else significant in your favor, like high SAT score, recruited athlete, underrepresented minority.

Whether you have a chance to get into the college by just meeting the minimum GPA (and you don't have one of those significant factors) depends. If the college is one that is highly competitive and takes less than 50% of its applicants, then you should consider your chances extremely weak if not non-existent. If, on the other hand, it is your state school and it takes 80% of its applicants, you probably have a better chance, particularly if you have a decent SAT score.

By Pwiddles (Pwiddles) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 01:27 pm: Edit

Well, my actual gpa is an 88.9 at the end of 11th grade (weighted). Thank you for responding. Could you maybe evaluate my chances at these schools based on my stats. I am a nervous wreck about midyear reports. If my class rank was lower in my midyear report (not by alot), which one do the colleges consider the most important(the one that you send with the application or the one in the midyear report).

I am a high school senior who has applied to these schools : Ithaca, Fordham, UCONN, UNH, Northeastern(in Boston), and La Salle
I was wondering if you could evaluate me chances or give me your opinion

SAT Score: (1000 the first time ) (1100 the second ) * still waiting for my third time score

High school average: 86 (weighted)
Class rank: 20/65
* I got a 4 on mu U.S History AP eXAM & a 2 on the english

My senior year grades were good, but I got a 63 in math. I still managed to get an 85 average though.

EC's
Yearbook- Editor for 2 years
International Club- Secratary for one year
Literary Magazine
Volunteer Tutor & Mentor
Choir for religious organization
Leadership Program
NHS

Sports-
Basketball (JV)FOR 2 YRS
VARSITY TRACK 2 YRS
Swimming 2 yrs

wORK eXPERIENCE:
Cashier at Bakery
Babysitter
Assistant Secratary at an organization

Awards:
Highest Average in English 9R

* GOT REGENTS CREDIT FOR GREEK LANGUAGE

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

By Pwiddles (Pwiddles) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 01:28 pm: Edit

sorry, I meant my weighted gpa to be an 88.9 not an 86(typo)

By J1986 (J1986) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 01:45 pm: Edit

your scores aren't terrific, but considering you come from a small school (only 65 in graduating class), i would think you would have a very good chance at at getting into any of those schools.

By Varr (Varr) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 01:51 pm: Edit

hmm here this might help

GPA Conversion Chart:

95-100 4.0 A
94 3.9 A
93 3.8 A
92 3.7 A
91 3.6 A
90 3.5 A
89 3.4 B
88 3.3 B
87 3.2 B
86 3.1 B
85 3.0 B
84 2.9 B
and so on.............

By Pwiddles (Pwiddles) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 02:28 pm: Edit

do you think that 63 will hurt my chances (like getting me deffered)

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 03:01 pm: Edit

I have a question. When colleges given an average gpa for their college, is that weighted or unweighted?

By Varr (Varr) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 03:07 pm: Edit

unweighted

By Medadu (Medadu) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 08:06 pm: Edit

Where is that GPA chart from? Do most colleges use that? At my school, 93-97 is considered a 4.0, and 98-100 is considered 4.3. If your GPA happens to be above 4.0, it is rounded down to 4.0.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page