Graduating after junior year...chances at Harvard, Princeton

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Graduating after junior year...chances at Harvard, Princeton
By Collegematerial (Collegematerial) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 12:27 pm: Edit

I'm a junior, asian male (I know, bad news alreaady), thinking about graduating after 11th grade. Applying to Harvard, Princeton, MIT, Yale, Stanford, maybe COlumbia. I decided if I don't get into 1 of these schools, I'll just stay for senior year of high school.

SAT: 1500: 740V, 760M (I know its low. I took it sophomore year and haven't had time to retake it junior year due to schedule conflicts)
SAT II: 800 M IIC, 800 Writing, 750 Physics (again, I know physics is low. Can't believe I took it half a year after taking the class!)
ACT: 35
PSAT: 77M, 75V, 80W = 232 selection index = 99th percentile

Courses this year: AP Government, AP European history, AP English Lit, AP English Language, Honors American Lit, Honors CHem, Spanish, Advanced Drawing, Entrepreneurship, Calculus III (Multivariable Calculus) at the University, perhaps AP Macroecon second semester, Biotechnology Research internship at university second semester.

Some Academic Honors: Nominee for the National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine (will attend summer 04), Academic Letter, Word Masters Team last year finished 1st in nation, talent search commended scholar.

EC: solid...Main ones: Piano with many competition wins (4 state wins, many honorable mentions, all district wins, participant in two West Central Division (like Midwest))...Volunteering for many years at my church...Many leadership activities including Class senate, Council for School Improvement student representative, etc....

Essays: I had an experienced English teacher (over 30 years of teaching) look them over for Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Columbia...he said they were profound and exhibited great self-insight.

note: APplied EA Yale: deferred

Please tell me my chances. THanks!

By Collegematerial (Collegematerial) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 12:53 pm: Edit

I forgot, GPA is 4.0 unweighted. Our school doesn't give class rank, but that's the highest GPA possible.

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 03:08 pm: Edit

wow, i would be shocked if you didnt get into at least one of those schools, you're a top notch canidate

By Takingiteasy (Takingiteasy) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 04:06 pm: Edit

Very strong, i kno a few people who left to go to colleges early with weaker stats but then ur applying to the top top schools. How well did u on your AP exams? Just wondering cause u don't have AP scholar and I would think that someone like you would have a lot of APs already. At least u kno u have a chance since yale deferred u instead of rejecting u.

By Collegematerial (Collegematerial) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 06:15 pm: Edit

My school doesn't offer AP's freshman year (unless a one skips five grades in math and takes AP calc in 9th grade. I took that sophomore year, but anyway...) I got 5's on the three I took sophomore year: psych, microecon, and calc ab. I'm thinking about also taking this year Calc BC (in addition to the ones I'm taking classes for) even though my school doesn't offer that (I took Calc II at the university the summer before 11th grade which covers material people learn in BC. I was also thinking about taking the AP chem test this year (our school doesn't offer that either) but I'm not sure if I'm prepared just by taking honors. Thanks for the encouragement!

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 06:31 pm: Edit

*Yawn* Employment? Quirks? Your application may be strong but a big chunk of personality is missing from it. Profundity doesn't necessarily qualify as personality (referring to the essays)

By Collegematerial (Collegematerial) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Employment: Undergraduate lab assistant at the university over the summer. I also taught an elementary school child piano for a year until he was ready for a professional teacher. THe Biotech research internship isn't paid, but its a steady job-like activity for a whole semester (maybe continuing into summer).
Quirks, Personality: I think my recommendations addressed that side of me. Also, the two interviews I had went really well and I was able to show who I was as a person (MIT and Yale). I have Harvard in a few days. The yale interviewer asked that I keep him posted about the EA decision and replied a few times helping me with "strategies" and asked that I keep in touch. Thanks for the honesty.

By Collegehelp1234 (Collegehelp1234) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 09:14 pm: Edit

I can't see why you want to graduate a year early, and the colleges will be asking the exact same question when they look at your application. I know many Juniors who are far more qualified than many seniors for Harvard, Yale, etc., but none of them are applying to colleges this year.

If you say that you are yearning for more educational opportunities than are available at your school, colleges will expect you to enroll in local community college or university extention classes, not try to graduate a year early.

If you are having difficulty with people in your school or class, maybe you should look to see why. Trying to graduate a year early shows an unwillingness and inability to adapt to a situation, a quality that colleges know is neccesssary to succeed in higher education and in life in general.

While I don't have enough information on your situation, I am deeply concerned for you. The only kid that I know who is trying to leave school early is tragically doing it because of immense parental pressure to excel. Seeing your SATs and GPA, I doubt that your parents are the only force behind your decision, if at all.

There are reasons that students take four years of high school, especially to build a level of maturity and to find a sense of direction before going out into the world of work and higher education. It is becoming more and more common for students to take a year off before going to college to find a sense of purpose, etc. It makes little sense to cheat yourself of a year, instead.

I don't know your full situation, but I caution you to take another look at your situation. Believe it or not, high school is only IN PART a preparation for college. High school's function is much more importantly a place where kids can get to know themselves, make friends, take risks, and have a little fun. You'll only be helping yourself if you stay for four years, unless you are at risk of physical harm from your colleagues, family, etc.

Good Luck in your endeavors.

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 10:20 pm: Edit

Very few students are accepted early from high school, unless under extreme circumstances. You need four years of high school to mature enough to go to college. That is something I definitely believe in. I'd say wait a year and enjoy life. Realize that being in high school is a good thing, it shelters you from the real world and allows you a place to grow your personality. College is similar in a sense, but it requires a maturity that few students possess during their junior year in high school.

By Mehere (Mehere) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 12:15 am: Edit

why is he a strong candidate? just cuz he has 2 800s? i dont get it.. a lot of ppl take AP courses..

By Takingiteasy (Takingiteasy) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 12:32 am: Edit

Well it's not like he is a lock but he has fairly good ecs, awards, course load so it's not like he has no chance, but then he has to be better than the average kid accepted since he is a junior.

By Brentlomas (Brentlomas) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 12:37 am: Edit

Being a nominee for a National Youth Leadership Forum means nothing. ANYONE can be NOMINATED. They just want your money. I got nominated for Law and Public Policy. I didn't go, so I didn't write that anywhere on the app. I guess you can put it under summer activities or extracurriculars, but putting it as an "honor" is a load of bull honky.

By Mehere (Mehere) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 04:55 pm: Edit

exactly

By Ella05 (Ella05) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 07:14 pm: Edit

You look awesome. I'm applying early admission too, as a junior, and I wish my stuff was as good as you. Stay optimistic and you'll achieve your dreams.

By Ella05 (Ella05) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 07:14 pm: Edit

You look awesome. I'm applying early admission too, as a junior, and I wish my stuff was as good as yours. Stay optimistic and you'll achieve your dreams.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

yeah, you'll get into harvard. 'cause they absolutely love minorities. unlike some other schools...:cough: princeton :cough:

by the way, have someone else read your essays. i'm not saying they're bad, mainly 'cause i haven't seen them, but teachers are more inclined to not make any destructive criticism on them. have your friends read them. they're not afraid to put you down.

By Collegematerial (Collegematerial) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 11:13 pm: Edit

Ella05: I started a link for early grads on "College Admissions" in the main topics menu. Maybe we can talk about our situation.

Warriorlax22: Thanks for the advice. It guess its a little late for the essays since I sent them out already (deadline today for most)...so I'm just crossing my fingers.

By Jens (Jens) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 12:25 am: Edit

First of all, just wanted to say that you are obviously a strong contender. However a reason why you MIGHT be rejected is this : asian male, almost perfect SAT and SATIIs, musical, worked in the lab>> almost stereotypical features. Im not degrading your hard work by any means just saying that from my what I hear, a lot of the ivies are almost absurdly looking for the exact opposite : i.e. asian football player, studying humanities, asian actor, etc. However that is just a guess, and you have a good chance I believe.

By Gator4ever07 (Gator4ever07) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 11:31 am: Edit

To respond to those of you who don't believe students should apply to college during their junior year:
I agree that a certain level of maturity should be reached before leaving high school, but I am positive that there are quite a few students who have reached said level by their junior year. The specific candidate we're discussing seems to be mature enough to go beyond the norm and get himself involved in internships, attend classes at his local university, and thoroughly research the college admissions process. In my opinion (although i do not know the applicant), he is ready to take on college. There are plenty of seniors who haven't reached an appropriate maturity level to move on to college, so you cannot say that there are no exceptions to the rule.
Also, it looks as though the applicant is taking every opportunity available to challenge himself academically. For a junior, 5 APs and 5 additional classes is exceptional, and he has already shown his aptitude with advanced placement by earning 5s on 3 other AP exams as a sophomore.
Collegehelp1234 - I don't think his applying to college early has anything to do with "difficulty with people in school or class." He seems to be ready to move on because he HAS reached the level of maturity needed and seeks more educational opportunities than are available at his high school and the local university. You suggest that "colleges will expect him to enroll in local community college or university extention classes," but he has already done this, why not move on to a full schedule of university classes in an environment where he can be more challenged both academically and socially??

By Miakulpa (Miakulpa) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 11:53 am: Edit

Why do you want to leave school early? I really don't wish to brag, but my stats and ECs are stronger than yours and I would hate to miss out on my final year of high school. Is your high school just terrible? There is always more to learn unless the school is really inferior or the rest of the students are juvenile delinquents. Maybe then it IS a good idea to move on.

By Myoryu (Myoryu) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 12:03 pm: Edit

Well, this is my freind(who graduated after his junior year)'s case:

800/800/800/790
a lot of 5 in AP's
USAMO qualifier
honorable mentions in chemistry olympiads
numerous activites related to math/science
numerous activities related to anime
debate. newspaper. etc.

got deferred from... Harvard, Princeton, MIT
got into.... U Chicago, Caltech

He told me that he did not get into Harvard because he is not special enough.

He's very happy at Caltech, btw.

By Mjl86 (Mjl86) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 09:56 pm: Edit

I made it into U of C and applying to Brown, JHU and Cornell

By Ella05 (Ella05) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 12:06 pm: Edit

Collegematerial: what's it under? The name of the post, I mean, I'm looking under College Admissions for it.

By Sfbbgurl (Sfbbgurl) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 07:46 pm: Edit

okay. This bothers me. You claim that a 1500 SAT score is low! its not. You claim that a 750 SAT II score is low, its not. What is wrong with you? You're making the normal people feel pretty inferior. So just be happy with what you are able to do.

By Jens (Jens) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 07:51 pm: Edit

People have diff expectations, for him it might be considered "low", even tho i agree- i would be happy with those scores!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page