JohnS hopkins?!?!?!? I am thoroughly confused.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2003 Archive: JohnS hopkins?!?!?!? I am thoroughly confused.
By confused on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 03:57 pm: Edit

Why does the "s" appear after the word "John" in "Johns Hopkins?"

By w on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 04:04 pm: Edit

that's the guy's name dumbass

By o on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 04:23 pm: Edit

haha

By confused on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 04:56 pm: Edit

Excuse me "w", but I think that YOU are actually the dumbass. Unless you think that Johns is a valid name to have. What kinda stupid parents would name their kid Johns? IT'S JOHN!!!
Someone who has a noteworthy opinion, answer the question with a VALID response please.

By AzN_Cowboy on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 07:44 pm: Edit

I have a friend named Luke Johns, but that's his last name. :)
No offense, but does it really matter?

By blank on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 08:52 pm: Edit

the guy's mother's or grandmother's last name was johns, his last name was hopkins. so when he made the university, he called it--johns hopkins.

i think that's how the story goes.

By Me on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 10:50 pm: Edit

The name "Johns Hopkins" comes from two people who founded the college, one had the last name of Johns and the other had the last name of Hopkins. Put them together and presto: Johns Hopkins. Jesus, couldn't you take your lazy ass to the website and not waste our time?

By s on Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 11:44 pm: Edit

no, blank is right, Johns was his mother's last name, and Hopkins was his last name

it doesn't matter, who cares?

it was NOT 2 seperate people

By BlueJay on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 07:22 pm: Edit

I currently attend Johns Hopkins and none of the above are correct. Johns Hopkins is the whole name of the university's founder. Johns was his grandmothers last name and what his parents named him. Hopkins came from his dad when his parents married. His name actually was Johns Hopkins.

http://webapps.jhu.edu/jhuniverse/information_about_hopkins/about_jhu/who_was_johns_hopkins/

By Zerostylus (Zerostylus) on Sunday, March 30, 2003 - 02:49 am: Edit

yay blue jay got it right.
because bluejay is their school mascot.

jhu precollege 02 represent!

say hi to prof henry for me okay? pz

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page