McDonald's=Acceptence at Harvard?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: McDonald's=Acceptence at Harvard?
By Shsjonb (Shsjonb) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 10:43 pm: Edit

Hey,

Does anyone know if being a former McDonald's employee would make me stand out in Harvard's application pool?

By Okiew5 (Okiew5) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 11:00 pm: Edit

You know it damn right will.

By Vsage3 (Vsage3) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 11:25 pm: Edit

heck yeah it would. How many burger floppers do you think could apply to harvard? I know im the only one in my region doing so.

By Neelg01 (Neelg01) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 11:47 pm: Edit

Heck yeah. Most of the kids who apply to Harvard have financially fortified (rich,lol) parents. You workin at McDonald's tells em you managed to balance school, EC's, as well as a part time job.

By Collegehelp1234 (Collegehelp1234) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 02:33 am: Edit

If it looks like you have an excellent academic record, you would have no problem getting in. You can write the COOLEST essay about your time as a McDonalds employee. I wish I'd thought of trying to get a job there! Not only would I have money in my pocket, I'd have something worthwile to write about.
Remember, though, for it to be effective, you have to have good grades and SATs, and probably should have something interesting in Extracurricular land.

If your stats are like this, you'll get in if you play your cards/essays right

Ranked in top 15% at public school, or 3.8-3.9 at college prep school.
1440, 720, 720, 720
Leadership in some area.
A challenging course load (A few APs, honors, etc.)

Remember, though, I'm no expert

By Shsjonb (Shsjonb) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 01:43 am: Edit

What about a 1400, 800IIC, 780IC, 730Writing, 3.65 GPA and 25/360? Also, I didn't write an essay about it, just wrote it for work experience. Also, I'm a URM with good EC'S and 125 AIME Score.

By Reba616 (Reba616) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 09:57 pm: Edit

That's quality.... good luck, you deserve to get into Harvard. So many kids don't have a job and it's pathetic.

By Fiza (Fiza) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

I work at J.C.Penneys (been there 1.5 years) and got my first official job when I was 14 at Dairy Queen and never stopped working.

This said, I dont think my job(s) will get me into anyplace like Harvard. Yes, it SHOULD, but I'm not betting my money on it.

By Muaytb1 (Muaytb1) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 10:53 pm: Edit

what are you kids kidding me? I worked in a window factory since 14 every summer. god you kids are spoiled.

By Sarahndipity (Sarahndipity) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

haha! word to dairy queen workers!!! I've been working at the local dairy queen/orange julius since age 12--too bad I can't put it on my app!!!! *sigh* However, one job for 4 years (I put 2000-present) looks good, yes?

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 11:30 pm: Edit

hehe, fast food restaurants. i mean, it's cool, but as opposed to like law firms? too typical maybe....

By Sarahndipity (Sarahndipity) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 11:36 pm: Edit

I also worked full time doing research this summer at the University of South Carolina w/ microbiology (cloning and stuff)... sooooo I'm hoping that'll give me an edge... not a whole lot of high school juniors are able to get research positions in south carolina, ha

By Pnuemonius (Pnuemonius) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 11:45 pm: Edit

wait...working at McDonalds???? that gets you into harvard? But what if you have a real job? damn, I should have applied, I'd have gotten a full scholarship

By Hnbui (Hnbui) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 04:59 am: Edit

I've been working for my mother since the 8th grade and family makes less that 15k a year.

I'm applying to harvard also but my test scores suck. I mean they are really crappy. I just applied for the hell of it.

By Ay_Caramba (Ay_Caramba) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 02:07 am: Edit

WOOOO i work in a nursing home kitchen! talk about nasty, not to be mean...but that and 1520, 800, 800, 690, eagle scout, and other crap didn't get me into yale early, so why would mcdonalds make any difference at harvard?

By Collegehelp1234 (Collegehelp1234) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 02:36 am: Edit

I say you have a decent chance, dude. I would say that it would've helped to make it an essay topic (for the optional additional essay)

By Mjl86 (Mjl86) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

A Real job is bad for Harvard applicants because too many stuck up kids are going to have those. Their rich parents will just arrange so that their kids interm with a lawyer, senator or some crap like that. Working a McDs shows pain, suffering, uniqueness, and ultimately poverty.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page