Committing a Crime....help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Committing a Crime....help
By Rsxman (Rsxman) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 08:24 pm: Edit

Maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion but is getting a summons for a subway violation a crime? I used my student pass on a nonschool day and was caught.

Is that going to show up on a criminal record?????

Thanks!!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 08:29 pm: Edit

No. Don't worry about it.

By Rsxman (Rsxman) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 08:47 pm: Edit

thanks,

just concerned that this will cause me problems in the future..like getting a job or applying to schools.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 08:50 pm: Edit

Nah, it's a misdemeanor offense. Jobs and schools usually only care about things like murder, forgery, robbery, etc.

By Xdtish (Xdtish) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 08:53 pm: Edit

LoL

Others' unnecssary misery amuse me so.

It's fine. It's not an offense.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 10:14 pm: Edit

HOLY GOD.

You evil bastard! How dare you take advantage of the poor downtrodden subway system. Infinite shame!!!!!!

DUDE
RELAX
No school will care if you violated some subway rule.

What does a subway summons consist of, btw

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Did they even write it down or anything? Come to think of it, what punishment do you get when you do something like that?

By Wrinklefiber (Wrinklefiber) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Put it in your application under the crime thing. Put a humorous spin on it. It might even help you.

I wish I had a subway violation. I'd do it.

By Gabushida (Gabushida) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 11:51 pm: Edit

Should I have put down all the times that I used a childs ticket to get into a movie? Or when I turned on a red light where you arent allowed to?

Come on. Thats nothing. Id be extremely surprised it you even HAD a record.

By Dbu3k (Dbu3k) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 11:59 pm: Edit

Haha I like the way you said

"Nah, it's a misdemeanor offense. Jobs and schools usually only care about things like murder, forgery, robbery, etc. "

so nonchalantly haha. Murder etc.. you'd be in jail wouldn't you ?

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

I agree with Wrinklefiber, if you put a humorous spin to it it can work to your advantage. But it could very easily work to your disadvantage, IMO.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 01:01 am: Edit

i say forget about it entirely. unless the summons led to a significant life experience, you're not going to have enough material to write anything of worth.

By Wrinklefiber (Wrinklefiber) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 01:08 am: Edit

For clarification, I meant it not as an essay topic. Rexman, I think, was inquiring about whether the "criminal"box should be checked and an explanation written. If he runs with a humorous subway violation thing in a short papragraph or whatever there, it's like extra essay space to some degree and it speaks for Rexman as a generally law-abiding person anyway.

No, it certainly doesn't qualify as a personal statement topic though, unless there was something more profound and important than the little bit of humor I was suggesting.

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 01:13 am: Edit

Naw..don't write about it. This is too much of a nerd offense...it will make you look like someone that "has no more backbone than a chocolate eclair" if u blow it up to a big size. I mean, gettting into a fight about something meaningful...maybe(one of the people I know wrote about it..got in).I mean, just relax.

By Alphachimp (Alphachimp) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 03:08 pm: Edit

nah...lot's of people do it. the NYPD is so pitiful for spending their time sitting next to a turnstile when they could be off preventing terrorism...but alas that is the way of New York City.

I personally think that, if made humorous, it would be an excellent essay topic, or answer to the crime thing...although i think that in msot cases it asks if the crime is violent. You really have to watch the kind of spin you put on it though, because you dont want to seem like somebody who would willfully violate the law.

By Manowar (Manowar) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 07:57 pm: Edit

I also got a summons for using my student metrocard. It's just another way for the city to make some more money.

By Aznguycz (Aznguycz) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 03:44 am: Edit

You're lucky you don't live in Mexico. I read in a newspaper article once that a mexican guy was too poor to afford the fare, so he jumped the gates and was caught. 5 years in prison.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page