Short essay on favorite word...too radical?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Short essay on favorite word...too radical?
By Richitalwar79 (Richitalwar79) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 07:53 pm: Edit

The essay question for Uva is what is your favorite word...this is my answer....

I find this to be a difficult question. What really makes a word someone’s favorite? The question can hold a wide variety of meanings and therefore, is capable of having a limitless range of answers. For example, if one’s favorite word were what represented his or her passion, my favorite word would be dance. If it were a word that describes what one wishes to acquire in life, my favorite word would be respect. If it were a word that represents one’s inner fire, my favorite word would be faith. Is it were a word that expresses one’s love, my favorite word would be family. If it were a word that portrays ones pride, my favorite word would be culture. If it were a word that that describes one’s thoughts on his or her opportunities in the world, my favorite word would be infinity. If it were a word that illustrates one’s determination, my favorite word would be dreams. If it were a word that describes what makes me laugh when I need to most, my favorite word would be friends. If it were a word that describes one’s amazement, my favorite word would be knowledge. If it were a word that illustrates my best quality, my favorite word would be confidence. If it were a word that described what one wishes to resemble, my favorite word would be the sky. If it were a word that symbolizes my most valuable asset, my favorite word would be memories.

Do you think its too unconventional?

By Richitalwar79 (Richitalwar79) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 07:55 pm: Edit

I know it has grammatical errors...this is just a first draft...and it needs an ending...but i just want to know about the idea...

By Libsters (Libsters) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 08:15 pm: Edit

Uh .. It gets a bit boring ... " if it were a word..." 30 times is just too much! I like how you wanted to write something original, but IMO it sorta doesn't work out. Good Luck with everything = )Hope I didn't sound harsh ....

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 08:24 pm: Edit

doesn't really answer the question. you put in way too many words. focus!

By Invisibleman (Invisibleman) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 08:36 pm: Edit

Sorry, I don't think it would work. It's good you tried to be unconventional, but just repeating the thing over and over isn't very artistic at all.

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 09:26 pm: Edit

a better essay would just be to find a word (one) and write about it.

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 09:48 pm: Edit

It's not radical, it's dull. You never go in depth at all about yourself and what a word means to you. Just vague concepts like "culture" and "faith." Explain! What do those mean in the context of your life?

By Dazedexpression (Dazedexpression) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 11:20 pm: Edit

I agree with Libsters. WAY WAY TOO MUCH PARALLEL STRUCTURE!!!! I initially wrote an essay with unnecessary repitition and let my english teacher read it. She didn't even read the whole thing! She basically told me it was a piece of ••••. Not only do you need to focus on one thing you can elaborate on, but you also need to vary your syntax, unless there is some specific point that you feel you need to drive home (not the whole thing). I feel you should forget this essay and start over. Remember, if the reader is bored, why would he/she bother to read it? Captivate. Just my opinion...

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 02:06 am: Edit

i dunno. say if you wanted to explain why you were applying to virginia, you could say:
virginia is X. virginia is Y. Virginia is Z. and so on. i don't think it's a bad format.

By Radiostar (Radiostar) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 04:07 am: Edit

Warriorlax22:
i dunno. say if you wanted to explain why you were applying to virginia, you could say:
virginia is X. virginia is Y. Virginia is Z. and so on. i don't think it's a bad format.

Yes, but would you continue that structure throughout the entire alphabet?

Repetition is for emphasis, much like underlined & bolded italics. When used effectively, it has weight. When used poorly, it reads like a broken record sounds.

Richitalwar79: What really makes a word someone’s favorite?

This is a good question. You should answer it.

By Yourmother (Yourmother) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 05:03 pm: Edit

sorry but it didn't seem at all unconventional, just my opinion. maybe a word like... oh i don't know...hobbledehoy

By Wsbdncr (Wsbdncr) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 05:08 pm: Edit

The colleges wanna know about YOU!!! They
intend to figure this out by, exactly what you think, your essay. Choose a word. one that you can REALLY describe urself in. They're trying to get to know who you are, by using your essay. So show them who you are, choose a good word. I started to read your essay, but...it didnt stand out. You want it to stand out. hope i helped :)

By Wsbdncr (Wsbdncr) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 05:09 pm: Edit

& by the way, DEFINETLY WAY WAY WAY too many times you said: my favorite word, my favorite word.

By Fiza (Fiza) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 05:11 pm: Edit

Heres my uva favorite word essay (rough draft). Do you guys like it? Its also a bit unconventional. And sry Rich for hijacking ur thread but I think u have ur answer already :)

The thoughts create a dark cloud over the clear sky of my mind. The word holds enough power to send anyone into a fanatic frenzy. If they let it…

It holds more power than the President of the United States and the Pope combined. The word is the key to both extreme disappointment at times and great hope during others. The one word neither I, nor the rest of humanity could live without is the small word if.

The legend of Pandora’s Box states that out of the box opened by Pandora came out all forms of sorrow and mischief for mankind. The last thing that came out, the one good thing that escaped into Earth, was hope. The word if facilitates almost every emotion. Hope, arguably the most significant of all gifts given to humans, depends on the word if.

“If only my brother came out of the coma…”

I find regrets to be the most horrendous of all emotions one has to experience. Thinking “if only..” and “if this happened and that happened…” leads to inner emotional turmoil challenging that of a main character in a Lifetime channel movie.

If lives in the jungle of words as a chameleon. Depending on the viewpoint, the word if is as much an enemy as it is a friend.

As for me, I choose to walk away from my regrets and embrace my friend, the word if.

By Wsbdncr (Wsbdncr) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 05:16 pm: Edit

I like it a lot, but u need some commas, cause in some parts it's confusing cause the word u chose, ("if",) it sometimes seems like, ur not talking about the word. Just some parts are a little confusing.

By Fiza (Fiza) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 05:20 pm: Edit

And yeah its a rough draft.

By Wsbdncr (Wsbdncr) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 05:21 pm: Edit

Hi, PLEASE HELP!! I'm not applying to any boarding schools, just regular private schools. I am an 8th grader, I did pretty bad on SSAT's. my total score was an 871, not sure wat that means just know that it is in the 29% tile. I'm not sure wat ur percentile for an 8th grader is supposed to be.
My verbal score was 284
math was 307
and reading 280

the two schools on my list that i really want to go to are The Madeira School and The Bullis School. If ne1 has ne info on mi ssat scores, n the scores that those schools are looking for, please let me know. all the skools im applying to are the folllowing:
Madeira, Bullis, Holton-Arms, Potomac School, Holy Child, Holy Cross, and St. Andrews

By Dazedexpression (Dazedexpression) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 05:34 pm: Edit

Fiza- put "if" in quotations. Everything else is very good.

By Fiza (Fiza) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 05:45 pm: Edit

Point duly noted.

By Fiza (Fiza) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 06:28 pm: Edit

bump?

By Fiza (Fiza) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 08:57 pm: Edit

any more advice on mine?

By Dbrider9 (Dbrider9) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 04:10 pm: Edit

My favorite word is "••••", you can use it so many different ways-
Go •••• yourself
I don't give a ••••.
Fuckin A
It just keeps going on
Thats honestly what I would write my essay on

By Fiza (Fiza) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 04:49 pm: Edit

oh thats right. ur the bitter one that cant get anyone to comment on his chances or whatever. gee, with that lovely attitude I WONDER WHY...

By Wrinklefiber (Wrinklefiber) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit

It's probably a bit late, but here's my thought:

It sounds like something someone would say at a beauty pageant. It would be much improved if your words were a bit more quirky than "culture" and "dreams."

But, it would be even better if you could find one really interesting word that ties in to all this stuff, and go into as much depth as one can with that kind of question.

By Wrinklefiber (Wrinklefiber) on Friday, January 02, 2004 - 06:34 pm: Edit

My comment was for Richitalwar, by the way.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page