Princeton short essays

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Princeton short essays
By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 09:31 am: Edit

How long are they supposed to be?
Mine are 300 words average, that seems to fit in the space.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Monday, December 29, 2003 - 10:56 am: Edit

aw, come one

By Collegehelp1234 (Collegehelp1234) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 02:50 am: Edit

I hate those stupid essays. As a matter of fact, If you get into Princeton, slap the dean of admissions for me. Thanks, bro.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 03:52 am: Edit

Mine were like 400, 350, 350, 250, or something along those lines. It's definitely a tough app.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 02:19 pm: Edit

mine were all around 400 words. of course they deferred me, so you might not wanna listen :)

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 08:51 pm: Edit

sunshine, you're the one that hates princeton now right? lol

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 08:56 pm: Edit

yes that would be me! seriously, i was such a happy and bubbly person til i spent the past 10 days locked up in this room writing essays and filling out forms. i was seriously okay after my deferral. but this...this is awful.

By Theanswer (Theanswer) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Siya youre going to Cornell and everything will be fine
-ace

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 09:43 pm: Edit

yeah that must hurt writing all those essays and doing the application and then getting that thin envelope

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 12:09 am: Edit

yeah it did. i was pretty upset. i was so sure it was my best match, and i still dont know why i was deferred. i had 1500+, 750+ avg SAT II, 4.0 GPA, top 1%, awesome recs, EC's, essays. whatever whatever. oh well. life goes one.

what hurt more was having to do all these extra apps. i'm going to be up all night. urgh never wait til your ED/EA decision before u do apps.

Ace-whoa i was taken by surprise when u knew my name :), but then i realized who u were

By Infiniti1 (Infiniti1) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 03:46 am: Edit

dont worry sunshine i got deferred ED from Pton too.
790/770/720/700
AP's 5,5,3 (one of the 5's, in physics B, was by virtue of extra work because i wasnt in the AP course)
tons of EC's including football (all-county honorable mention despite a broken leg in our second to last game) and lacrosse* seeing how sports other than track and crew tend to be rare on these boards plus very qualified musically Tanglewood, sing in adult pro choir and so on, EMT, student gov. musical blah blah blah my grades were slightly disproportionate to my scores (bottom of top 10% i figure but technically my very tough public school doesnt rank) but i had legacy and lots of awards, great lor's, good essays....anyway ya know what we'll end up at a school where we'll get an equally good education and have a lot more fun too, but meanwhile it's 3:46 am on dec-31 and i have more apps to finish

By Mnm (Mnm) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 03:48 am: Edit

them princeton questions
are DEFINITELY BoGuS.
they are stupid
stupid
stupid
one of mine is like...500+ words.
nice huh?
i'm shovin it in their faces.
i hope i get in :)

By Collegehelp1234 (Collegehelp1234) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 04:10 am: Edit

"ace" is that a DB5? or DB7? or what (ur profile)

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 04:17 am: Edit

Infiniti1-

yes 4:14 AM and you can imagine what i'm doing :) tomorrow all the rest of my apps go out. all thanks to Princeton. im sorry you got deferred. i just dont see what they want anymore. whatever. we are obviously very qualified for any school in the country, and i'm confident we'll get in somewhere great and get a magnificent education. to be honest, i wasnt particularly surprised to be deferred, i was just more annoyed at the system and how college admissions seems so arbritray these days.

the Princeton application was SO MUCH WORK too. all 4 of those awful essays, with those stupid questions. i spent so much time on it. aghhhh.

where else are you applying?

By Infiniti1 (Infiniti1) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 04:30 am: Edit

sunshine
That app certainly was a pain. I remember stayin up all night to finish that one too. what did you say for what you'd do with a year off? Right now im tryin to get apps out to Yale, Duke, Dartmouth, Johns Hopkins, Northwestern, UVA, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, William and Mary, and it's been 9 weeks and i still havent heard from UMich again i had prepared myself for the thin envelope as well but still bummer, i got an even crazyier (i know thats not a word but look at the time) deferral story. two of my good friends in my school both 1590's multiple SATII 800's top 5 or 6 in class of 260, both tons of EC's including time consuming sports and both legacies both were deferred from Harvard just goes to show you it's all a craps shoot

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 05:11 am: Edit

my year off essay was crazy. i took a lot of "risks" in my essays. my AP Eng teacher loved them...good ol' P'ton didn't feel the same. look at my picture in my profile. its quite funny :)

ahh well tomorrow im sending out Yale, MIT, Cornell, Williams, Johns Hopkins, Skidmore, Case Western...ergh i think there are more but i dont even feel like remembering. most of my apps are "done" but not really. most of the essays are just ugh lasjf;asdf. i spent 2 weeks on my Princeton app alone, and 2 weeks total on the others. OBVIOUSLY, im not getting in :(

i dont know what schools like HYPMS want anymore. some crazy, underqualified people got in ED this year and a lot of the people who seemed like clear shoe-in's were deferred/rejected. are they trying to make a statement? what the heck?

i can say that a bunch of deserving people DID get into Princeton. hey, at least we werent outright rejected :)

By Freudboy (Freudboy) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 05:48 am: Edit

your picture is hilarious. sorry you got deferred, though

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 04:23 pm: Edit

haha that picture lightens up the fact that i got deferred :)

By Mehere (Mehere) on Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Sunshine, your stats are not that good. and i dont think anyone should be disappointed that they are defered. i know ppl from my school who has won national honours in over 7 contests, 1560 sat, 790 sat 2 avg and got deferred.. schools such as Pton, harvard, and yale is very unpredictable..
you should be happy that you didnt get rejected.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 08:43 am: Edit

"Sunshine, your stats are not that good."

What the? Then what kind of stats do you think are good?

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 02:36 pm: Edit

Done! WooHoo!
Final word count: 600, 300, 500, 650.

By Warriorlax22 (Warriorlax22) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 04:40 pm: Edit

mehere-
wow. don't know what to say. you're either dumb or blind. clearly, sunshine's scores are through the roof. p'ton is very, very predictable. you have the scores and you're a good kid, you're in. that's it. oh, and if you're asian, you need perfect scores and be saintly good...yeah, that'll do it.

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 05:34 pm: Edit

>>p'ton is very, very predictable. you have the scores and you're a good kid, you're in. that's it. oh, and if you're asian, you need perfect scores and be saintly good...yeah, that'll do it.

wrong. pton is like every other top ivy - its admissions are very unpredictable, even with top candidates.

>>wow. don't know what to say. you're either dumb or blind.

I would say that applies to you and your posts.

Warriorlax, you seem to be obsessed with asians and college. Ethnicity will only do so much to get you in. Let me show you a candidate pton rejected last year RD;

Black male
Not ranked of ~50 - attends 'elite' NYC Private school
1450 SAT
700+'s assorted SAT II's
Varsity BBall, 3 years
Tons of EC's, community service, etc

REJECTED. He now goes to Yale.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

But an Asian with those stats would mostly have been rejected by Princeton AND Yale.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 05:52 pm: Edit

lol @ my stats are not that good. probably not as good as many people's who go to HYPSM or whatever, but they're competitive. *shrug* whatever. sorry if im not a 1600/800/800/800 US Math Olympiad and Physics Olympiad kid who's also recruited for baseball and track and still makes the best chili in the country while getting perfect grades and has the perfect personality. i am no insane genius and if you think you can gauge "stats" through SAT scores alone, then so be it.

it's not like i just assumed i would get accepted. in fact, quite the opposite. i went into my ED application with the knowledge that i had a 90% chance of deferral, and i accepted it. when it happens though, you still arent happy about it. you know, im not so much disappointed that i got deferred as i was disapointd that i had to finish my other apps. blahhhh. but now that those are done, i could care less about my deferral. more opportunities await in april.

good luck everyone. Happy New Year!

By Mzhang23 (Mzhang23) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 05:52 pm: Edit

nope, the asian person would have had a good chance too. But the bottom line is that you can never predict things with the top ivy leagues. Perhaps you should pay a visit to these places and stay overnight with a student. Talk to people, and you'll see that there are plenty of asian people who got in without the highest SAT's, a truth that is contrary to what everyone thinks.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 06:00 pm: Edit

A joke that goes around Harvard :

What do a Harvard undergrad and a Yale undergrad have in common? Answer: They both got into Yale.

(Shields body from bashings)
I'm not pro-Harvard, but in the country where I come from, usually 1 person goes to Harvard every year. And that person almost always gets into Yale also. So I don't think the admissions process is really that random. There must be something that we're overlooking.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 06:04 pm: Edit

most of the people i know who go to HYPMS were rejected by almost all the others...unless they are AMAZING AMAZING people. each school looks for slightly different people, and things are so competitive now you never know who they will pick.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page