Another "RATE ME!" Thread for those Ivys.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: January 2004 Archive: Another "RATE ME!" Thread for those Ivys.
By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Friday, December 26, 2003 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Hey everyone

Please rate my chances (1-10, 10 being the best) at the following schools:

Harvard (deferred EA)
Yale
Penn (yea! thats my number one)
Columbia (my number two)
BU
GW (legacy)
NYU
Emory

I'm white, go to a competitive, relatively new public school in Miami.

SAT I- 760M 700V (from one sitting, but it look 3 tries...)
SAT II- 760 Math IIC, 730 Writing (10th grade),730 US History
ACT- 34 (one time, equivalent to 1520-1550)
Rank- 1/733
GPA- 4.0 unweighted, 5.8 weighted
*I will be graduating with the highest GPA in the history of my school. ( projected at 6.8 at graduation)

ok, i know that a lot of you are going to ask how my GPA can be a 6.8. lemme just explain now then. my school gives honors points (1 for gifted or honors, 2 for AP classes) and adds them. they then divide by 15 and add that to the UW GPA)

Intended Major: Economics

AP Scores:
Chemistry- 5
Calculus AB- 5
Psychology- 5
Spanish Lang- 5
US History- 5
European History- 4
English Lang.- 4

Summers:
going into 11- Honors physics, research
going into 12- Honors research (ongoing)

Senior Year Schedule: Straight A's
AP Calculus BC
AP Biology
AP English Literature
AP Environmental Science
AP Statistics
AP Macroeconomics
AP US Government and Politics
AP Art History

Awards:
National Merit Semifinalist

Most Outstanding Math Student

Princeton University Book Award

NCTE School Representative

"Superior" rating on piano at Superintendent's honors music festival

Selected to perform on piano for Gore/Lieberman during 2000 presidential campaign

Coca-Cola Scholarship Semi-finalist

School's Science Representative in Silver Knight- this is a prestigious competition based on EC's and community involvement

AP Scholar with Distinction

Valedictorian

Extracurriculars:
*Key Club (9-12)

*English Honor Society (10-12)

*Mu Alpha Theta (Math Honor Society)- (10-12), Vice president (11), executive officer (12)

*National Honor Society (10-12), Recording secretary (11), Vice President (12)

*Science Honor Society- President (12)

*SECME- Vice President

*Classical Pianist for twelve years- sent supplemental CD

*Science Research- health and medicine. Report submitted to Intel Science Talent Search, Siemens-Westinghouse Competition, Science Fair, University of Florida Symposium, Epidemiology Competition

*Community Service Project- "Bundles for Babies"- I am the founder of this program, which collects baby clothes, toys, books, etc. and donates all items to indigent babies

*Played piano for hospitalized children during the summer (about 100 hours)

*I regularly perform science demonstrations at local elementary schools, with hopes that this will increase youth interest in science.

*Selected by AP English Teacher as school representative in the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) writing competition

*Head of science competition team

*Member of Envirothon team, which competes in environmental science tournaments

*Selected to partake in three competitive math examination contests: The David Essner Test, American Math Competition, and the Helen Dostal Test (results to be announced)

Total hours service in high school: 1639

Work experience: Only during the summers at a dental office

Fluent in Spanish, English and Spanish are spoken at home (does this really make a difference?)

Recommendations: Both great
one from ap chem/honors chem/honors physics/honors research teacher/Science Honor society sponsor/Research mentor

one from honors precalc/AP Calculus AB/AP Calculus BC teacher

I'm already anticipating April- what should I expect? 1-10?

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 02:18 am: Edit

omg, people like you make me cry. You're so amazing. How were you deffered??

By Succor101 (Succor101) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 02:25 am: Edit

how the h*ll did harvard defer you?

anyway if you can't get in all of the schools on your list NO ONE CAN

...still can't believe you got deferred...maybe harvard mixed up your app with someone else's

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 02:58 am: Edit

Maybe they thought there is no way humanly possible for someone to have all that.

Or maybe they thought if you came to campus they'd all explode

I'd give you a 10. Seriously. Like the other folk said, if you can't get in, no one can!

Some advice:
You have a very impressive resume. Make sure your essay is distinctive and will separate you from the crowd. Think of an interesting, unique, and eye catching topic. Same with rec's. Not just the same 'this dude is absolutely wonderful' stuff.

Also, develop a hook. Defeat Joe Bloggs!!

By Mjl86 (Mjl86) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 04:45 pm: Edit

IS BU Brown University or Boston University? Anyway, you have a great chance a both

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 04:54 pm: Edit

BU is boston university, where you will for sure be accepted. Admissions are not as difficult there.

By Fire03 (Fire03) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 05:07 pm: Edit

how did u take honors physics over the summer?

By Enchantingdivz (Enchantingdivz) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

wow....people like you scare me........i wouldn't bother applying to harvard now........whoa! harvard is nuts...seriously...........well its their loss........don't worry u'll make it to all of the other schools in ur list.............man....are u human or what? lol........... harvard has a wierd criteria........i know mediocre friends who got into harvard..........well. something went wrong somewhere.........good luck!!!!

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 05:39 pm: Edit

Both Penn and Columbia are far more difficult to get in RD than early. Historically Penn only accepts 18% of RD applicants and Columbia even less than that. You would have had a good chance ED with these schools but RD... under 20%.. You do have a good range of schools and a superb profile so you will have some good choices come April. It' s just that any of these schools with less than a 30% chance of admissions is a lottery ticket.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 05:43 pm: Edit

3000 valedictorians apply to Harvard every year. They eventually get bored of the straight As and perfect GPAs, and look for diversity instead. However, their definition of diversity can be pretty subjective, which is the reason why admittance to Harvard is so elusive, even to spectacular candidates.

But I'm sure you'll get into *at least* one of the Ivies on your list. Good luck.

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 09:21 pm: Edit

The Harvard admissions criteria fluctuate every year. Sometimes they want some things and other times they look for others. They do this to settle out the constant flow of "perfect" students into their campus. Diversity is very important in any college. Foreignboy is right, they may just get bored of the straight A's and perfect GPA's. Good luck to anyone applying to Harvard. My tip: Write a strong essay. Don't expect sympathy for a sad story. Be objective most of the time, but be subjective enough to make your essay interesting and outstanding to the readers.

-Ty

By Binarystar (Binarystar) on Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 09:27 pm: Edit

How does your school calculate GPA? It's rather strange that you can have above a 5...

By Godis (Godis) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 01:56 am: Edit

hope you don't get in penn so you can come to columbia. :-)

By The_Elop (The_Elop) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 02:21 am: Edit

It seems like pretty much everyone on these boards with high stats comes from a HUGE high school, or at least one with a LOT of resources. Our school has....AP English...and the ability to skip a year of math. That's it. We don't have many programs to help add ECs to our apps...but maybe that gives us an advantage...with most of the high scorers coming from either private or fairly wealthy public schools, maybe a guy from rural NW Minnesota with a 34 ACT has a shot....

...I hope.

Hey! I'll bring diversity!

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 01:36 pm: Edit

If you speak spanish at home then I'm guessing one of your parents must be of hispanic/latino descent...why not apply as a URM...you stated that you are white but I'm guessing you might have hispanic descent if you speak spanish at home. Maybe the URM thing will get you in. I applied (and got in) to Penn with WAY lesser stats and got in (btw I'm hispanic)...so maybe that will help you

By Wo4567 (Wo4567) on Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

yes yes very sad i'm not going to get into Harvard if you were deferred... whatever happened to all of their "well-rounded class, well-lopsided students" thing? Do these admissions officers expect us to breathe at all in our high school careers? Question to Spacechic20... what was your essay about?

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Monday, January 05, 2004 - 12:30 am: Edit

no breathing allowed

didn't you get the memo?

:)

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

haha thanks your your support guys.
i've already posted my essay a couple times and i've gotten mixed reviews, so i'll post again. it's definitely unique, though.

“Step forward with your right foot. Now, shift your weight to the left and spin around. That’s it everyone, you’re doing wonderfully… Hey, over there… yes, you! We’re all going right! Just stop before you hurt yourself.”
I was imagining the reactions I would get after my feeble attempt at line dancing. You see, I’m seventeen, born and raised in Miami Beach, charming, affectionate, intelligent, and clumsy. Why then would I ever even consider line dancing?
Well, it all goes back to my first day of eleventh grade, when I walked into my American history class. My teacher, Mrs. Gibbs, began by introducing us to her teaching assistants: The tweety bird, a cute little bird that chirped whenever it was slapped on the table, informing someone that they sounded like an airhead; the clapper, plastic hands that clapped when shaken, notifying people that they had said something particularly unintelligent; and the pink stick, that when turned upside down, made a long drone, indicating that no one really cared about what you were saying.
My first impression: I know that the Florida schools need teachers, but I didn’t know they were this desperate. This woman is insane. I had to get out of her class. So, for the next few days I went through my course schedule in a desperate attempt to transfer to another history class. My efforts were in vain. I was stuck.
Much to my surprise, I eventually began to look forward to Mrs. Gibbs’ lectures. She always supplemented her lessons with exotic stories and materials. Once, she brought in a letter written in 1860 by her relative, a soldier in the Civil War. Really, she captivated us. She was eccentric, yes, but she was a brilliant teacher. She made her subject live in my mind. Because of Mrs. Gibbs’ unparalleled command of the subject I earned a five on the AP exam with little effort.
By the end of the school year, I had come to realize that not only was Mrs. Gibbs the most incredible teacher I’d ever had, she was also the most fascinating person I’d ever met. On the last day of school everyone cried to see her retire. Naturally, this past summer my friends and I wanted to see her. The catch was this: She had gone on a diet so there was no meeting her for ice cream. The only way we could see Mrs. Gibbs was by joining her in her favorite hobby, line dancing.
So this was my dilemma. My body acquires physical skills along a terribly shallow learning curve, I had never line danced in my life, and I have two left feet. Was all this worth making a fool of myself? Reluctantly, for Mrs. Gibbs, I decided it was.
I lined up next to Mrs. Gibbs, and the instructor began to explain the steps. I felt like I had in Paris, navigating by a grid of streets and avenues, lost, asking unfriendly natives for a helpful hint. Within five minutes, all of my friends had given up and begun to watch from their seats. But, after a few minutes I was having a great time.
I am so glad to have met Mrs. Gibbs. Because of my encounters with her, I’ve learned not to judge someone based on a first impression. Mrs. Gibbs was unconventional, but she did an amazing job. She made an ordinary task a true pleasure, while teaching me not to be afraid of new ways, new people, and new experiences. Mostly, I feel that I’ve begun to appreciate the benefits of having an open mind and taking chances.
So, is line dancing my new passion? Probably not… but I’m going back on Thursday.

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 10:37 pm: Edit

oh, bern, by the way i'm probably the whitest person you'll ever meet. although i do think i may have an ancestor from spain, yea just one, but they go back like 7 generations. hmm i guess im like 1 or 2 percent spanish. lol

By Jens (Jens) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 12:47 am: Edit

hey yeah you have an amazing resume. I give you extremely high chances of getting into your list of schools and even Harvard RD. However, I didn't particularly like your essay. For the most part it is rather dull and you could use to spice it up a little with more interesting phrases and imagery. Also the whole idea of a teacher who changes your views is conventional, but I like how you incorporated personal touches into it (i.e. line dancing). There are many phrases which are very trite>> especially the last paragraph. Anyhow, good luck.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 02:07 am: Edit

christ on a bicycle

how do people like you exist?

and i thought my resume was impressive
no wonder i got rejected everywhere

By Kazaraxa (Kazaraxa) on Monday, January 12, 2004 - 06:11 am: Edit

For Harvard standards (at least as I imagine Harvard, meaning completely unattainable to me or anyone I know) your SAT scores are mediocre. I mean, totally awesome for anywhere else, but for Harvard or Yale, they're not amazing or anything. Your GPA is good. Your essay could definitely use some work. Extremely conventional and just sort of...boring. But, you'll definitely get into an Ivy League. I'd say 10 for Columbia, BU, and NYU.

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 09:17 pm: Edit

*bump* plz

By Najy (Najy) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 09:43 pm: Edit

I know someone who got into Harvard from my school with twin 550s on her SAT, the rest of application was stellar. *sigh* the SAT will mean less and less as time passes, AP tests will mean more and more.

By Cornellian07 (Cornellian07) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

I don't think spacechik20 is as amazing as everyone makes her out to be. True, valedictorian out of 733 kids definitely says something, and 34 ACT is very good. But her extracurriculars and awards in my opinion are nothing out of the ordinary. I can imagine there are many people with the exact same stats applying to Harvard also. I am almost sure she will get into Penn and Columbia, whose selectivities are both a notch lower than Harvard and Yale. I also think she has a very good chance at Harvard and Yale, I would say 75% chance that she will get into AT LEAST one of those two. The rest, she is a shoe in, unless they reject her because they know they're being used as a backup school.

By Usna_Reject (Usna_Reject) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:25 pm: Edit

do your parents force you into these things?

pardon my blunt and enviness: p

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 10:53 pm: Edit

lol no, they don't. they tried to talk me out of taking so many AP classes, actually.

By Usna_Reject (Usna_Reject) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

go to west point or the naval academy :)

By Succor101 (Succor101) on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

does spacechic sleep?
maybe she practices piano as sleep substitute

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Friday, January 16, 2004 - 03:37 am: Edit

I like the essay -- It's cute

It does lose my interest in the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs, but it picks back up in the end. I like the language. But overall, I have to agree somewhat with the above posters in that it could use some spicing up. Try to make it a little more...powerful.

This is all probably moot since apps were due a bit ago anyways.

I disagree with Cornell. I think your resume, espcially all the ap's and community service is very impressive. I say you have a good shot. So just wait and relax!

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 03:50 pm: Edit

bumpity bump bump BUMP
accepted to emory, semifinalist for their full tuition scholarship.
im worried about penn and columbia.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

semifinalist meaning you may still get it or that's as far as you got?

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 12:02 am: Edit

it means that i'm definitely into emory and that i'm still in the running for a scholarship. of 350 semifinalists, they give 2/3 scholarships to 100 kids and select 70 finalists, who receive *at least* full scholarships. so its like a 50% chance, pretty generous, i'd say.

argilospsychi, thanks a lot for all your support! good luck to you and to everyone else.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page